Huge wildfires in Ridge and Suffolk County on Long Island

JimmyDaSavage

2,000 plus acres of woods in Ridge and Manorville are on fire as there is a huge brush fire going on right now. It is spreading pretty quick. First and foremost I hope everyone fighting the blaze is safe and is able to get it under control. I know there is a lot of Hunting out in Ridge and that area. Anyone know if the deer will be able to get out of there? I guess I am just hoping for the best but does not look good. What a mess.

I have friends that had to evacuate to shelters. I hope they get this under control its very sad news. People are loosing homes, my best goes out to those enduring it.

Hope no one lost their hunting spots either. Over 2000 acres is a lot of land

Good for the woods but not for the people, hope it stays away from houses. DEC used to make controlled burns but in the last 12 years or more have not done so due to budget cuts. One of my spots is a place of an old controlled burn and the woods are alot healthier. Hope it does not harm anyone though.

It is early in the season so the woods have a good chance at regrowth. Most animals will leave the area but some young birds and turtles will be lost. last I heard several homes were gone and a building. The National Guard and other helicopters will most likely be put into service tommorrow. Hoping for a quick extiguishing of the blaze and the safety of the firefighters.

• Like 1

We were there until 10:00 last night. Not the biggest wildlands fire I've seen, but big enough. We were able to contained South of 25 starting on the northern boarder of the lab, and east of the William Floyd Pkwy. hey are sending more crews out there now.

Edited by eagle rider