Cory and his trapping adventure.

Cory

It’s been a rough couple of weeks deciding on how I wanted to go about my problem. I’ve been seeing these disgusting creatures nightly. My wife has been scared to get out of car on occasions. So I decided to go humanly and snap the duckers necks. After doing some scouting the rats have dug a grand hotel in my raised flower beds. I went to value yesterday bought 5 traps. I checked this morning I got 3 . One trap still loaded and another tripped. Good start to a nasty problem. FYI when it comes to rats I’m the biggest sissy. I will run and scream like a school girl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Pics for xtra points.  Lol

I hate the bastids too.   We’ve been pretty good for a few years since my numbskull neighbor finally quit “feeding” the birds by throwing seed on the ground.  Yup, fur real.   

FE678180-111E-44E5-A79E-592AC9EE3D4F.jpeg

The city is littered with people who feed raccoons, squirrels, and pigeons. And I’m not talking about the random parent who tosses out a couple of nuts so their kid can see a bird up close. These are people who bring down cans of cat food every single day and save up their bread crumbs to blanket the walls overlooking the park. Officials should dole out heavy fines or do something to disincentivize it. 

1 minute ago, Cory said:

I went to Home Depot and bought 13 more traps on top of the 5 I have out already. The ones I caught were basically babies. I want the fat bastards that have the balls to just sit there and dare you to make a move. 

Glad you went with snap traps, or any trap for that matter.  Decon and rat poison can be a bad deal for pets and wildlife.  

I hate rats too.  I would bait them with corn or sunflower seeds and use a pellet gun on them.  But I have time on my hands during the winter months.

4 minutes ago, greg54 said:

The urine from those critters can make your pets very sick if they come in contact with it. I don't recall the name of the sickness but it can happen.

Lepto is what it is called. I have an aunt who’s dog died of it. That is a big concern of mine with my dogs. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Glad you went with snap traps, or any trap for that matter.  Decon and rat poison can be a bad deal for pets and wildlife.  

I hate rats too.  I would bait them with corn or sunflower seeds and use a pellet gun on them.  But I have time on my hands during the winter months.

I try and stay away from poison because of the other wildlife. I remember hearing stories that was killing eagles because they were feasting on poison filled critters.

• Like 1

Living in the country I'm surprised I haven't seen any thing but mice . I do keep my yard really clean and  I remove all garden  waste  and drop apples . My mother inlaw has a horse barn 400 yards away . In the last 34 years we have only ever had one rat at the barn . I dispatched it with a 22 . We ran traps for a few months but all we got was mice .  I have a dairy farm up the road he has a lot of rats and no cats . He checks traps 2 times a day . I refuse  to buy straw from him because his wheat straw stinks of rat piss.