Dump the Reading Glasses?

moog5050

On 1/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, moog5050 said:

So I am going to try a new eye drop today that is supposed to help those in their late 40s and on with age related farsightedness.   Called Vuity.  One drop is supposed to last for 6-10hrs.   Even my doc is curious if they will work.  My vision is generally good except for reading and I have become more dependent on reading glasses.   Would love to kick them.  Will let you all know if it helps.

Two weeks later, what's the verdict counselor?

They work well enough that 1hr after I put them in I can go the whole work day without readers.   And I read a lot.   Not quite as clear for really small print (like 5pt font)  as readers but not an issue for the most part.   My biggest problem is forgetting to use them before work.  To Tacos comment, since they do reduce pupil size, your regular vision may not be as good in low light.  That’s not been an issue for me so far nor have the drops impacted my distance vision.   

• Like 2

So what is the theory of operation? What makes these eye drops work? Does it change the shape of the lens of the eye? It's all a function of focus...right?

It seems to me that the explanation that I heard was that with age comes the inability to make the lens function properly. muscles do not pull the lens all the way into the proper focus position anymore. I can't say for sure where I saw that, but I suspect it was some reading material at the eye doctor's office.

Any way, if that is correct, it is hard to see how eye drops could ever correct that situation. But that is why I ask what the theory of operation is with these miracle eye drops. Just curious.

21 hours ago, moog5050 said:

They work well enough that 1hr after I put them in I can go the whole work day without readers.   And I read a lot.   Not quite as clear for really small print (like 5pt font)  as readers but not an issue for the most part.   My biggest problem is forgetting to use them before work.  To Tacos comment, since they do reduce pupil size, your regular vision may not be as good in low light.  That’s not been an issue for me so far nor have the drops impacted my distance vision.   

Thanks Brian, I will definitely ask about the drops at my next eye Dr appointment. It's sounds like a good option at least during hunting season as I hate having to dig out my glasses to read texts, etc. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Doc said:

So what is the theory of operation? What makes these eye drops work? Does it change the shape of the lens of the eye? It's all a function of focus...right?

It seems to me that the explanation that I heard was that with age comes the inability to make the lens function properly. muscles do not pull the lens all the way into the proper focus position anymore. I can't say for sure where I saw that, but I suspect it was some reading material at the eye doctor's office.

Any way, if that is correct, it is hard to see how eye drops could ever correct that situation. But that is why I ask what the theory of operation is with these miracle eye drops. Just curious.

You can read up on them Doc.  Vuity.   Generally the drops temporarily reduce your pupil size making it easier to focus up close - pin hole effect - but I notice no adverse impact on my distance sight.  Most reviews suggest they help by 2 to 3 rows on a farsighted reading chart.   It’s enough for me for regular reading but might not be sufficient for everyone.  All depends on where you start.  

• 4 months later...

Brian , how are they working now you’re a few months out ? Saw my eye Dr. Today , Dr Robbins. He won’t prescribe the drops ,to many negatives , detached retina being one .Said it’s an old glaucoma drug that hasn’t been used in some time . 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Brian , how are they working now you’re a few months out ? Saw my eye Dr. Today , Dr Robbins. He won’t prescribe the drops ,to many negatives , detached retina being one .Said it’s an old glaucoma drug that hasn’t been used in some time . 

I stopped using it after a few times.  Just too inconvenient to be honest.   But I did increase the font on my iPhone.   Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks . I figure if guys can kill deer instinctively, then I can with blurry pins . May go single pin , I only shoot maybe 20 yards as it is . My 30 and 40 yard pins have dust on them .

49 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Thanks . I figure if guys can kill deer instinctively, then I can with blurry pins . May go single pin , I only shoot maybe 20 yards as it is . My 30 and 40 yard pins have dust on them .

You can get a clarifier for your peep.  Never used one as that isn’t my issue yet. 

I have a clarifier in my peep, not too strong as I just wanted my pin to be clearer without the target getting too blurry.  I went to Nick's Archery and tried several until it felt right. I love it! I was seeing multiple blurry pins before and now I  see just 1 pin and the target.

• Like 1