Home remodeling project

Swamp_bucks

We’ve been in our current house going on 3 years now and I’m finally at the point it’s time to remodel.  

I have a big list for this year starting with my dining room& kitchen. Currently it’s 2 separate rooms but will be knocking down the wall to make a bigger room that’ll measure 30x14. They are both exactly 15 x 14 currently.   

Then after that we will move one of our kitchen counters and fridge to open up the space and close off the current back door.

In the dinning room will be a new sliding glass door that’ll lead out to a new porch.  

All of the cupboards are going to get repainted and new hardware since they are in great shape and high end cabinets.  We are also looking at painting the counter tops with something my cousin used on his and looks great and holds up.

The final main project will be new lament flooring throughout the kitchen, dining room and living room. 

As long as money and time willing I’m trying to make a deal with some Amish guys to buy my trees on the property for their saw mill in return to build me a leanto off the side of my garage and reuse my current garage door to keep it closed off.

Then my garage will be converted to our new entrance/ man cave that’s 40’ x 25’.  Wife said she was done seeing dead things on her walls and guns/ hunting gear in the main part of the house so i needed to convert my garage.  Just needs a wall up with new door, some windows and the floor sealed.  Will purchase a wall mounted propane heater or small pellet stove for it as well.  It’s already insulated. And I will work on each wall one at a time until it’s done.

It’ll cost a lot but I’m doing 90 % of the work myself so I’ll save a bunch of money that way and most are 1 or 2 day jobs.  Also buying a little at a time and found a discount place out of Rome to get doors and windows that are pretty much brand new for cheap.  Also have a bunch of good friends who are willing to help. Especially the man cave part.  I’ll post before and after pictures as I go.

• Like 6

We’ve been in our current house going on 3 years now and I’m finally at the point it’s time to remodel.  

I have a big list for this year starting with my dining room& kitchen. Currently it’s 2 separate rooms but will be knocking down the wall to make a bigger room that’ll measure 30x14. They are both exactly 15 x 14 currently.   
Then after that we will move one of our kitchen counters and fridge to open up the space and close off the current back door.
 In the dinning room will be a new sliding glass door that’ll lead out to a new porch.  
All of the cupboards are going to get repainted and new hardware since they are in great shape and high end cabinets.  We are also looking at painting the counter tops with something my cousin used on his and looks great and holds up.
The final main project will be new lament flooring throughout the kitchen, dining room and living room. 
As long as money and time willing I’m trying to make a deal with some Amish guys to buy my trees on the property for their saw mill in return to build me a leanto off the side of my garage and reuse my current garage door to keep it closed off.
Then my garage will be converted to our new entrance/ man cave that’s 40’ x 25’.  Wife said she was done seeing dead things on her walls and guns/ hunting gear in the main part of the house so i needed to convert my garage.  Just needs a wall up with new door, some windows and the floor sealed.  Will purchase a wall mounted propane heater or small pellet stove for it as well.  It’s already insulated. And I will work on each wall one at a time until it’s done.
It’ll cost a lot but I’m doing 90 % of the work myself so I’ll save a bunch of money that way and most are 1 or 2 day jobs.  Also buying a little at a time and found a discount place out of Rome to get doors and windows that are pretty much brand new for cheap.  Also have a bunch of good friends who are willing to help. Especially the man cave part.  I’ll post before and after pictures as I go.

Look into high end vinyl flooring...they have both glue down and snap together options and they it is a great choice for what your doing. We remodeled our entire 1st floor in 2000 and laid high end vinyl throughout. The stuff wears like nails, cleans super easy and gives a great look. Before the remodeling we had tile and hardwood throughout the 1st floor.....can't say I would ever go back to either product.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We are doing a first floor remodel on a center hall colonial.  My wife wants an open floor plan.  I fought it as long as I could but lost the battle.  Much to my suprise  in her 11' Island she got me a 145 beer can fridge built into island.  My buddy got us a deal on all new appliances and man kitchen cabinets are as much as cars these days. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Sounds awesome. Yeah that spot in Rome has a lot of windows and doors in houses around here!  

I've got a bunch of stuff on the plate too that wanted to have done last year.  The biggest job I cant do myself which is foundation leveling and bracing.  Which was supposed to be done last year but all the rain and the guy got a hernia so hoping it's done early this spring. Everything is waiting on that. Even had to cancel a weekend day of fishing with Pygmy as had it scheduled but the guy didn't make it.  

So once that is done I'm also redoing my kitchen and dining area floor.  I'm going to take a bedroom wall out and was going to do that this weekend but held off in case of any issues and having a hole in the floor or ceiling and it's -10 out.  

Then after that new carpet in living and bedroom.  

Then moving my outside faucet to other side of the house, replace my stove and vent, redo the floor in utility and hunt/fish room.  

Then last things to do before I retire is hopefully the roof, a new furnace and a generator.  Besides the things here and there that need to be done of course. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Lots of projects like I said b4 if you need anything let me know. The snap together vinyl flooring is easy once you get going. Leveling and getting everything squared when I did it was a pain with a old house because nothing was square. Can't wait to see it when it is done.

• Like 1

Good luck with the remodel. Did that at our last house. Pretty much top to bottom it seems. Ended up building our current house. Picked everything out and had everything placed where we wanted them like light switches, outlets, etc. Don’t think I could do another remodel. They can be fun but time consuming. Enjoy!!  And take pics to see the change. The one thing I didn’t do!!