NEW TO NY help!!!!

deerpassion

Hey guys, My name is Joe,

Been hunting the southern swamps of florida all my life, and about to move to buffalo for GRAD school.... Excited to hunt some new areas and terrains... Figure if i can find a deer in the swamps i can find em in the woods! MY BIG QUESTION .... LICENSES? TAGS? I've read the regs but still have a few questions.... can you buy as many tags as you want either sex/antlerless...? do you have to get drawn for tags or is that just the DMP's? does your resident license grant you to hunt all/most public lands? do you have to get drawn to hunt certain units or public land? I appreciate the help guys, just trying to get a leg up so im ready for this coming season... JOe

oh ya, and i'll be hunting in the area of erie/wyoming/genesee units 9h, 8h, 8g.... also here in florida, public land has brochures with all the regs specific to each and boundries.... all i see on the descriptions are boundry roads, little tough to find if ya don't know the area without a visual map of each...

Welcome.

You can't buy as many tags as you want. You do get specific tags for the seasons you want to hunt. What do you hunt with? Rifle/Bow/Muzzle? Each of those have different tags / regulations.

For example for rifle season you get 1 Antler Tag. You can apply for DMP for an additional price (doe tag), however availability depends on the WMU your going to hunt. You can hunt any public land, but call ahead to make sure you don't need any specific park tag or anything else.

Welcome.

You can't buy as many tags as you want. You do get specific tags for the seasons you want to hunt. What do you hunt with? Rifle/Bow/Muzzle? Each of those have different tags / regulations.

For example for rifle season you get 1 Antler Tag. You can apply for DMP for an additional price (doe tag), however availability depends on the WMU your going to hunt. You can hunt any public land, but call ahead to make sure you don't need any specific park tag or anything else.

i hunt it all, bow, gun, muzzy.... so if i have privileges for regular, bow, and muzzy, all i get is an antlered tag unless i apply for a doe or either sex for a given WMU?

Nope....

Ok.. Its gets confusing...

For Bow: you get 1 either sex tag (which CAN be used during muzzle as well)

Rifle: Antler Tag

Muzzle: Antlerless Tag (Can be used ALSO during bow)

I might be wrong, I'll check tomorrow, but I know I'm pretty close. You can also apply for a DMP, which could be used in any season above.

Nope....

Ok.. Its gets confusing...

For Bow: you get 1 either sex tag (which CAN be used during muzzle as well)

Rifle: Antler Tag

Muzzle: Antlerless Tag (Can be used ALSO during bow)

I might be wrong, I'll check tomorrow, but I know I'm pretty close. You can also apply for a DMP, which could be used in any season above.

ya i bet it gets confusing... so in muzzy you can only shoot a doe? boy down here in FL you can only shoot a doe during bow, after that its all antler ... ... I appreciate the help...

bow= either sex transfers to muzzleloading if not used

rifle= antlered transfers to late muzzleloading/bow as an either sex tag if not used in rifle season.

muzzleloader=either sex tag some areas have and early and late season also good as a bow tag.

Welcome to the confusion that is new york state.

rifle= antlered transfers to late muzzleloading/bow as an either sex tag if not used in rifle season.

muzzleloader=either sex tag some areas have and early and late season also good as a bow tag.

Welcome to the confusion that is new york state.

your not kidding, N and S zones, different WMU's , tags transfer to other seasons, you can use rifles here but not there, bow only, and i know the biggest thing im gonna have trouble with is being within the zone or WMU that i think im in at the right time, and trying to find the public land without a map to go off of and only vague driving directions... i feel your pain already n im not even up there yet!!! Also , how's the turn around on getting you certification for bow privileges, do you get it at the completion of the course or do you have to wait a week/two/three to get it in the mail? thats gonna make the big difference on if i can make bow season this year... we don't have to have a bow certification down here... thanks for your time , JOE

Deerpassion

I'll make it easy for you if you are going to hunt everything jus get a sportsman or supersportsman licence. You will only need to add the DMP for $10 and Turkey tags $10. The super sportsman comes with the Turkey tags.

You will need to choose your WMU for the DMP and you get 2 choices, a first selection and a secondary. You may apply for the same zone if the availability is high or you may choose 2 zones. Depending on the zones chosen you could get 2 DMP's, one or none.

For any other questions you can check www.dec.ny.gov.

Heres the deal.

If you buy a Super Sportsmans license, it will give you the privilege to hunt anything but waterfowl (Need the federal duck stamp and HIP for that). There is no extra for Turkey. Here is what you will get with the Super Sportsman: Small Game, Fishing, Big Game (1 gun season buck tag, 1 either sex tag which can be used in early archery or late archery/ML/crossbow, 1 antlerless tag for use in early archery or late archery/ML/crossbow, 1 bear tag) 2 Spring Turkey Tags, 2 Fall Turkey tags. You will need to apply only for Doe permits, and in the areas you are talking about hunting, you will most likely get 2, and possibly 4 if there are any leftovers after the initial period. Doe permits are only good for the unit in which they are assigned, and can be used in any open deer season. Dont worry about Northern Zone stuff, it wont apply for the areas you want to hunt.

As Bubba said, if you become a NY resident, you need to take the hunters safety course. If not, youll have to buy Non-Resident license and tags and that gets expensive quick, and limits you on what you get (not what i listed above).

As far as figuring out where the zone boundaries, etc are, check the DEC interactive map here: http://www.dec.ny.go...door/45415.html

Also, be aware of what types of guns you can use in the areas you hunt, some areas allow rifles, while others are shotgun only. Muzzle loaders can be used anywhere.

Welcome. As others have said its not that hard. buy a Sportsman or Super Sportsman,apply for doe tags in the area you will hunt in.

Now what school in Buffalo ? Both my daughters got to UB,my oldest will be in Grad school next year, she hunts deer with me.

If you need any help with areas around UB/housing etc. PM me. Some areas around South campus,you just may need your 12ga.

Oh and leave your beach towel and sunscreen in Fla. but pick up a snowbrush,winter wiper blades, a snow shovel and go practice driving on snow in an empty lot,not near my cars though !

slow down leave extra room ,there now you'll be way ahead of most Buffalo drivers already !

Edited by Larry302

Welcome,

I moved up here from the south last spring. There are some pretty major diffeerences, especially in the tags, so make sure you pay attention to what tags you have and when you are using them. I called DEC and just asked all my little questions for an hour, they were pretty good about it. The other difference is make sure you know the regs for not only the county, but the township and any special area you are in. There's twice as many governmental layers up here as down there.

Taking a hunter's safety up here might be helpful, even if you have it. The guys who teach it are all sportsman who can tell you stuff you won't read about.

Also, if you are going to get some DMPs, make sure you apply early. Everything is electronic, so just go to Walmart and get it.

And find some friends. Public land is not easy to find or hunt.

Oh, and there are no alligators to worry about.

• Like 1

An unused regular season antlered tag can be used as an either-sex tag during late ML/Bow season? Are you sure about this? I know the tag can be used during ML season, but I can't find anywhere on the DEC site that says it becomes a valid either-sex tag. Can someone point out where in the regulations it says this.

Edited by Sogaard

An unused regular season antlered tag can be used as an either-sex tag during late ML/Bow season? Are you sure about this? I know the tag can be used during ML season, but I can't find anywhere on the DEC site that says it becomes a valid either-sex tag. Can someone point out where in the regulations it says this.

This is true. Ill try and dig it up, its been gone over a few times on here in the past.

Welcome. As others have said its not that hard. buy a Sportsman or Super Sportsman,apply for doe tags in the area you will hunt in.

Now what school in Buffalo ? Both my daughters got to UB,my oldest will be in Grad school next year, she hunts deer with me.

If you need any help with areas around UB/housing etc. PM me. Some areas around South campus,you just may need your 12ga.

Oh and leave your beach towel and sunscreen in Fla. but pick up a snowbrush,winter wiper blades, a snow shovel and go practice driving on snow in an empty lot,not near my cars though !

slow down leave extra room ,there now you'll be way ahead of most Buffalo drivers already !

D'YOUVILLE for physical therapy... been interesting lookin for a place being so far away and i had no idea that new york had such an issue with big dogs in apartments... only found a handful after much searching, but i need to be close to the school without having to back some heat on if ya know what i mean... its just a golden retriever for god sakes lol... well thanks for your input , JOE

Welcome,

I moved up here from the south last spring. There are some pretty major diffeerences, especially in the tags, so make sure you pay attention to what tags you have and when you are using them. I called DEC and just asked all my little questions for an hour, they were pretty good about it. The other difference is make sure you know the regs for not only the county, but the township and any special area you are in. There's twice as many governmental layers up here as down there.

Taking a hunter's safety up here might be helpful, even if you have it. The guys who teach it are all sportsman who can tell you stuff you won't read about.

Also, if you are going to get some DMPs, make sure you apply early. Everything is electronic, so just go to Walmart and get it.

And find some friends. Public land is not easy to find or hunt.

Oh, and there are no alligators to worry about.

ya no alligators, hogs, panthers, and not as many snakes, all i gotta worry about now is bumpin into a bear haha...

Heres the deal.

If you buy a Super Sportsmans license, it will give you the privilege to hunt anything but waterfowl (Need the federal duck stamp and HIP for that). There is no extra for Turkey. Here is what you will get with the Super Sportsman: Small Game, Fishing, Big Game (1 gun season buck tag, 1 either sex tag which can be used in early archery or late archery/ML/crossbow, 1 antlerless tag for use in early archery or late archery/ML/crossbow, 1 bear tag) 2 Spring Turkey Tags, 2 Fall Turkey tags. You will need to apply only for Doe permits, and in the areas you are talking about hunting, you will most likely get 2, and possibly 4 if there are any leftovers after the initial period. Doe permits are only good for the unit in which they are assigned, and can be used in any open deer season. Dont worry about Northern Zone stuff, it wont apply for the areas you want to hunt.

As Bubba said, if you become a NY resident, you need to take the hunters safety course. If not, youll have to buy Non-Resident license and tags and that gets expensive quick, and limits you on what you get (not what i listed above).

As far as figuring out where the zone boundaries, etc are, check the DEC interactive map here: http://www.dec.ny.go...door/45415.html

Also, be aware of what types of guns you can use in the areas you hunt, some areas allow rifles, while others are shotgun only. Muzzle loaders can be used anywhere.

ya i've noticed that in different counties and zones for that matter the methods of take differ, but if i become a resident to get the cheaper rates, my hunter saftey ed certification from Fl should still be good right? Im gonna call the DEC n ask, i've sure got my list a questions for em now... thnx, JOE