Turkey Hunting Success Thread

nygooseduster26

tagged out this morning. woke up at 6 and decided to hit a spot real quick. called in a hen and two hot headed two-year olds; took the strutter. No more early mornings for this fella or pops, unless we take some people out. 4 birds on the ground and only went out 5 times. 3 longbeards and 1 jake... series of pictures to come. great season in wyoming county!!!

good luck to everyone else out there, they are screaming and very receptive to calls.

I'm dying to get back up and out but with a 3 week old, sons communion this sat. wedding anniversary next sat. I was lucky to pull off the two nights two days of hunting trip I already did. I think I might just be able to shoot up in the 20's some where for sunrise se hunt till noon and then go to work the same night ill be tired but atleast ill get in one more hunt.

Nothing here so far. I bumped into five?! other guys today in a small 30 acre area. Needless to say my first light was shot, so we walked way back up in to get away from everyone else-- not only for our sakes, but so we didn't accidentally harass their hunt either. Stayed out till noon then home again.

A safety tip for you guys that are bagging turkeys-- this sounds stupid but it really happened to a friend of ours. He had a turkey upside down over his shoulder (so it was upside-down, hanging, 5 feet in the air) and another guy shot him, thinking he was shooting a turkey. Yes, really. He was picking bbs out of himself for years, not to mention the chonic pain. Luckily the guy that shot him helped him out of the woods or he may have died.

Pack away an orange cap, vest, or even some surveyor's ribbon and put it on your dead bird after harvest if you will be walking through the woods with it!

• Like 1

that is a good tip. how often do you see an upside down turkey? why would anyone shoot at it with really know whats going on with it

Wish I knew. I bet our friend Don was wondering that too. :( Doesn't make any sense does it? People do some strage things in the woods..!

Can't say for sure about unclenicky but most folks these days wear a vest that has carrying capabilities onboard and pictures like his are just for tradition, ie: hero shots. But, I do agree that it wouldn't be the safest way to do it. Most people that have carried a turkey any distance like that only do it once because it is very uncomfortable also!

The turkey hunters vest was a great idea many years ago. Mine is almost 30 years old, retro camo.......................

http://i131.photobuc...06/Turk11-1.jpg

http://i131.photobuc...06/IMG_0888.jpg

Lawdwaz, those vests are great. I don't have one but my dad does and he wears it all the time. Someday I'll save up for one. I always have an orange cap in my pocket that I put on if I need to (carrying turkeys out or when I am nervous about guys sneaking in on me).

The liklihood of someone shooting an upside down floating turkey seems pretty low to me, but since it happened to someone I know, it's always in the back of my head to be extra careful.

Can't say for sure about unclenicky but most folks these days wear a vest that has carrying capabilities onboard and pictures like his are just for tradition, ie: hero shots. But, I do agree that it wouldn't be the safest way to do it. Most people that have carried a turkey any distance like that only do it once because it is very uncomfortable also!

The turkey hunters vest was a great idea many years ago. Mine is almost 30 years old, retro camo.......................

http://i131.photobuc...06/Turk11-1.jpg

http://i131.photobuc...06/IMG_0888.jpg

It really all depends, I was on private land that I knew nobody else was hunting the day I killed that bird, and it was only a short hike back to the road, wasn't worth rearranging the game bag in my vest that day. But, for any type of hike, it's easier to put the bird in the game bag of my vest. My hat is also reversible blaze orange & I have a couple orange hankies I carry if I am hunting on public land.