How close to dark/night do they roost?

JFB

Generally speaking, how long before dark do the birds usually roost?

Lets say you are in a forest and can still see 75 yards but light is clearly diminishing... would they still be on the ground? Do they wait until almost dark or is it still light when they get in the tree?

Any rule of thumb? Thanks

I'd say if it is that dark, they should be off the ground. Sometimes they are up pretty early. All depends if they had a long day chasing some trim, if you know what I mean......<grin>

The big question is, when are they coming down?? Lord only knows!

Ok, thx. I was just curious how big the window of time was in the evening to search. How many of you guys check high percentage roosting area's in the pitch dark and well past an hour after pitch dark?

I'm just worried that if I go in the woods near known roosting area's too soon, I'll spook them because they on the ground. So it seems easier to go around in the dark and locate them and they are less likely to spook?

I'm just worried that if I go in the woods near known roosting area's too soon, I'll spook them because they on the ground. So it seems easier to go around in the dark and locate them and they are less likely to spook?

I don't think so...I'd say there is more chance of spooking them once they fly up & can still see than right before fly up and are still on the ground. Best bet would not to get too close at all, try & locate them from 100 yards or more if possible, an owl hoot or coyote call can be heard from a long way off.

Ok. Helpful stuff. Last question...

Generally speaking, if birds roosts at a certain place one night, what are the odds they will be there two days later? How frequently do un pressured birds alter their roosting site (I have an opportunity to try and put birds to bed Thursday for a Saturday hunt but don't have time Friday for Sat)

I don't know about in turkey season,but in bow season I have about 40 birds all around and they roost well before i get out of my bow stand. Most every day in the same damn trees !

Birds undisturbed will generaly roost in an area about 50-75 yards around for most of the breeding season. the only thing that changes this is wind,especially from an other direction. rain seems to move a bird further downhill but in the same area usually lower in the trees. If conditions are the same on sat as they were on thursday the birds will be there (assuming they aren't bumped by another hunter friday) even if they don't gobble! I 've killed a lot of birds by going to a known roost area with out hearing any gobbling.

Thanks guys. The education is appreciated! Went out Saturday and there was a good amount of birds moving around but not much Tom activity and only a couple gobbles. Seems like the hens were really fired up and talking but not much else.