My DIY atv lift

Figured there’s a bunch of DIY guys on here so thought I’d share my build . So I’ve been wanting to build a lift but didn’t want to pay the inflated steel prices. So a few months ago work had several steel tables they were scraping ( think round top , 4 seats like a McDonald’s table ). I knew I didn’t want a drive on lift like everyone makes on YouTube so I could remove the tires, do brake work etc. easily. I have about $ 100 into it for the pillow block bearing’s , the roller bearing that rolls/rides on the rear frame to lift it and the angle iron for the top frame. Every other piece is from the tables ( I used 3) or scrap I had laying around. I’m going to wait till it warms up so I can open my garage and then coat it in bed liner. 

2B34D206-0083-4C95-B8C8-20FF7A152629.jpeg

8DE48DA8-5CA4-434A-BE9D-F0E6944C8EB6.jpeg

4DD3CB04-34F4-45D5-A09D-BD91A89B4940.jpeg

391D9917-760B-43DC-A733-B09CB19DBB12.jpeg

3BBCF4FC-6437-4E27-AFE0-7379174E0C15.jpeg

DC5E9B45-ABE5-4000-A699-8D98756BB2BA.jpeg

F072CACA-4C45-4DD0-8E6E-C7B24CE54966.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Modern hillbilly said:

Nice job on the lift. I hoard scrap steel just because it's always getting more expensive and when a project comes up it's a little to no cost. And I don't have to order it and go get it.

Thanks , and yes I hear ya , if you enlarge the 4th picture down from the top , under  my white bench you’ll see I have scrap pieces jam packed under there . 

36 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Great idea! Please share with me how you jack it up? I can't tell from the pic thx!

If you enlarge the 4th picture you’ll see the roller bearing on the right side of the picture that I welded to the jack nose . It rides/ roles  on the center post and pushes it up as I jack the jack the roller makes it super smooth . The roller is actually for travel trailers that one welds to back rear frame so it doesn't scrape on the road on steep inclines. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Wow...really nice design. I like the idea of the round, adjustable braces too. If you will allow me one more question: what is the string and pulleys about? 

It’s to pull up my locking bar when I want to lower it . enlarge the 2nd picture you’ll see the bottom of the lock bar rest’s against a stop plate I welded to the bottom of the frame. Basically it’s my jack stand  so the jacks not holding all the weight when lifted, gotta think safety .. 

Nice setup Rob, very nice job.  I really like the block bearings, and the safety lock design, that lift will outlast all of us.  At work I use a platform lift you drive on, for UTV’s, Zero Turns, etc…while it’s obviously better than working on your back, I still need to put the floor jack on the platform prior to raising the lift, etc.  I like that you left open areas to access drain plugs, etc too, rather than plating the deck/floor.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, Bionic said:

Nice setup Rob, very nice job.  I really like the block bearings, and the safety lock design, that lift will outlast all of us.  At work I use a platform lift you drive on, for UTV’s, Zero Turns, etc…while it’s obviously better than working on your back, I still need to put the floor jack on the platform prior to raising the lift, etc.  I like that you left open areas to access drain plugs, etc too, rather than plating the deck/floor.

Yep that’s  what I wanted to avoid is jacking it up again on the platform , it had its first trial run and It works great .  I started doing my yearly services on the quads over the weekend and had the wife’s on it first .  Had all 4 tires off,  draining the oil and unbolting the upper a-arms on rear and upper ball joint’s on the front to pullout the axles and get access to the wheel bearings to grease them, checked brakes  etc. all at the same time . Only thing I need to do is get some rubber strips to put on top of the lift , the bare steel on the aluminum skid plate wants to slip a little. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Yep that’s  what I wanted to avoid is jacking it up again on the platform , it had its first trial run and It works great .  I started doing my yearly services on the quads over the weekend and had the wife’s on it first .  Had all 4 tires off,  draining the oil and unbolting the upper a-arms on rear and upper ball joint’s on the front to pullout the axles and get access to the wheel bearings to grease them, checked brakes  etc. all at the same time . Only thing I need to do is get some rubber strips to put on top of the lift , the bare steel on the aluminum skid plate wants to slip a little. 

Nice, yeah some old mud flap maybe.

• Like 1