A huge NJ Black Bear caught and released in NJ.

Mr VJP

I saw an article recently that Fish & Wildlife caught, tranquilized and released 736 pound NJ Black bear in northern NJ.  I believe it was the biggest one ever tagged and released.

post-177-0-33826800-1428775256_thumb.jpg

Here's a video and story about the current state record black bear that was mounted and donated to the state museum for display.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/record_new_jersey_bear_unveiled_at_pequest_trout_hatchery_open_house.html

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 3

Big bear...but I'll bite my tongue on how their weighing him

Amen to that....................

What kind of crap is that?  You'd think it would rip the joints the heck out of muscles and tendons etc.

Maybe somebody needs to send those idiots a sling or something.

I'm sure they weighed it the best they could when the average weight of the bears they encounter is much lower..

So the chains are ok for a small bear?

They generally have a enough guys on their crew to carry all the important tools of their trade so why not leave the chains in the truck and carry a sling of some sort?

You'd think the "Save The Bear" people would be all over it.............

It was released unharmed after being weighed, so I guess the four legs together are the best way to weigh it.  Can't put a sling around the mid section of a drugged bear because it won't be able to breath then.  I can't think of another method that could be employed in the field.  I'm sure they've weighed many bears and the state has decided this is the best way and is current policy.

It was released unharmed after being weighed, so I guess the four legs together are the best way to weigh it. Can't put a sling around the mid section of a drugged bear because it won't be able to breath then. I can't think of another method that could be employed in the field. I'm sure they've weighed many bears and the state has decided this is the best way and is current policy.

Maybe it's only NJ bear that are adversely effected by a sling because I see plenty of other bears in slings and not chained up and lifted.

Next try?

Nothing a state employee does isn't because of a written policy.  The agency would have been all over these biologists if this photo showed them doing something that didn't follow state policy.

What does the sling you have seen look like and how does it work?  Is it strong enough to lift 750 pounds?

Maybe you can post a picture.

Edited by Mr VJP

Trail ...let me tell you some of these biologist may be book brilliant but practice idiots....like the ones that managed to kill a sow while tagging her ..in front of bystanders they invited...then walked away leaving the cubs....our cousins farm down by First lights camp...those ppl called and raised hell...DEC sent ppl back to get them to a rehab...

There are many many such incidents ppl in many states could tell about inept State biologists...I'm not saying all are like this..but they are out there...they are not vets..just because a bear was able to run out of sight doesn't means bones and or ligaments were not damaged

Edited by growalot