mulberry cam....

growalot

I guess I don't have to wait after all...She likes them still green and now the turkey are showing up more...the buck is still cam shy...but he is yet another wide one coming along....seems like the younger buck have the most growth on them so far...the ones with big bodies and wide bases are still in the 4-6'' range...Will the get a growth spurt here soon?

post-261-0-89020700-1465586582_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-48848200-1465586631_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-24663900-1465586662_thumb.jpg

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Not to get your thread too far off topic, but what exactly is a mulberry. I looked on Google and they showed something that I have never seen before. Do they grow wild in this area or is it something you planted? Are they good to eat?

I have an area that I would like to put in some more fruit, and I'm always interested in stuff that's not all that common.

Not on the computer right now ..Will post link later...funny you asked .... just this morning look up their nutritional value....one of the healthiest berry you can eat.

Many many varieties of them ...native in Asia and the US...Not wild here ,I planted two...mine are like eating a spoon full of sugar.Not a ton of flavor per say but pleasantly sweet and very,very,very good for you...they are a large spreading tree and take as long as a wild apple to produce..Well worth the wait ...you Need 2 to pollinate..though by now they probably have hybrids.

PS...they are what the Asians planted to feed their silk worms...it's also called the silk worm tree.

Edited by growalot

Not to get your thread too far off topic, but what exactly is a mulberry. I looked on Google and they showed something that I have never seen before. Do they grow wild in this area or is it something you planted? Are they good to eat?

I have had a mulberry tree at almost every home I lived in. Recently planted one on my upstate property. Was hard to find one as they don't seem to be very common up there.

A mulberry looks like a blackberry that grows on a tree. It also tastes much like a blackberry - the taste is simply not as strong. Lot's of uses. My family has always loved them.

The trees tend to grow well and need little maintenance. Even a relatively small tree can yield quite a bit of fruit. They can end up being nice shade trees.

The one downside is the "dye." The berries can stain skin, clothes - anything. Birds that eat the berries can leave purple droppings. Not an insurmountable problem, but one to be aware of.

• Like 1

Having them out near cherry trees will improve your chances of the birds going more for the mulberries than your cherry or even blue berry crop...mine are planted near the blueberry patch...Doc. in the 3rd link scroll down to the mineral content of mulberries...notice anything that deer would crave in a diet.. ;) ...I never ever get a poor crop from them and they produce July  well into bow season.  

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/mulberries.html

http://www.fruitsinfo.com/mulberry-health-benefits-nutrition-values.php

http://skipthepie.org/fruits-and-fruit-juices/blueberries-raw/compared-to/mulberries-raw/

http://www.nativnurseries.com/p-99-red-mulberry-morus-rubra.aspx

Not on the computer right now ..Will post link later...funny you asked .... just this morning look up their nutritional value....one of the healthiest berry you can eat.

Many many varieties of them ...native in Asia and the US...Not wild here ,I planted two...mine are like eating a spoon full of sugar.Not a ton of flavor per say but pleasantly sweet and very,very,very good for you...they are a large spreading tree and take as long as a wild apple to produce..Well worth the wait ...you Need 2 to pollinate..though by now they probably have hybrids.

PS...they are what the Asians planted to feed their silk worms...it's also called the silk worm tree.

We have a male and a female where we are now in the city. The female puts out a good amount of berries. When they produce the side walk under the female looks like a purple mess, and all the bird scat on the trucks is purple. LOL

Nice pics of those deer grow.

• Like 1

I just checked Stark Brothers Nurseries. They have 4 varieties and they are all out of stock. I've got a spot where they might make a pretty good addition to my fruit trees some day. It's funny you never see them in grocery stores or fruit stands. At least, I haven't.

I remember as a kid The Juice "machines" in different places...You could buy a cup of lemonade or one of Mulberry juice....That's was when I first heard of mulberries...They apparently make a very good wine...I've never tried.

I bought mine from Millers...popped over the Hill and picked them out in the ware house...Man I miss Millers...Starks bought them.... just sent them an Email yesterday...I'm not happy with their shipping and "handling" charges....when shipping is more than half the cost of purchase they really don't have much of a sale, when they charge as much to send a tree as they do a bare root grape vine...I buy lots of stuff from tractor supply and Walmart now. My absolute best place was a company out of Oregon...Then Harris seed bought them out years ago...

So 120 pics from 8:30 last night until 8 this morning....You should see his daddy,brother, Uncle ??....I'll wait until another time and hope he returns to post pics of him......WOW...but looks like this guy is coming along nicely...

Ps...... here is another...go back up to where the mature doe was on the same branch...what a size difference...

post-261-0-49579200-1466174994_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-94413800-1466175669_thumb.jpg

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be going through a lot of batteries this summer.... ;)

PS.. needless to say disregard the time date stamp...I have never been able to program the dang thing right...why there will never be another Wildgame cam purchase made. Though I do like the pictures...My Covert seems to be getting old...many pics over exposed as it were...some times they are still pretty good though...The browning isn't picking up much so I need to set another one of the other cams near it to see if it's the camera or the plot. I'm hoping plot for now. The spy points all seem to be doing well...even the one that got the leaky battery.(BTW it was a bad batch...lost a couple of flash lights )...the beans

/hemp are on their first leaf set...the peas are just poking through...I'm hoping they ignore it few at least a few more days.

post-261-0-97621300-1467237496_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-30055100-1467237641_thumb.jpg

Edited by growalot

As per usual the older bachelors have gone up the hill and I have a young group that stayed...Great as far as I'm concerned for they will then return in the fall.The girls stayed but I'm no longer seeing any fawns...which bothers me. 194 pics last night . everything is visiting these mulberry's...way too many raccoons...You'll see one very unhappy fox in one pic and a couple of little guys......So far the trees have kept them off the pea/ bean/hemp plot They don't even bother feeding in the clover plot next to the beans...not sure if it is just the mulberry's stopping them or the fact I had to cut down their favorite wht. pine that died....to bad the lack rain has every thing growing so slow.

post-261-0-80522800-1467546654_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-53794100-1467546718_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-59058100-1467546765_thumb.jpg

No if you look close you can see one of the raccoons ears...Now between the mulberries,apples and my Kiwi  the raccoon here get HUGE......I have had them so fat by fall they literally have a difficult time climbing trees...lol

So I took some shots of what a loaded tree looks like...remember they have been eating mulberries for a couple of weeks..heavy on birds as well..took this today.

post-261-0-01853300-1467551807_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So I can admit I was wrong.....maybe...For the big boys could have gone up the hill...but the ripening mulberries brought them back...364 pic...granted the raccoons knocked my cam so it faced the ground ...mostly raccoons and crow...but several young buck and some daddy's cam out...here are just a few....

post-261-0-67656200-1467648709_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-96167700-1467648763_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-98259100-1467648822_thumb.jpg

• Like 5