Ethical Hunting ?

Blackhawk

"Capitalism and human greed has commercialized and created an out of control 'big game hunting industrial complex' - deer hunting will never be the same. Canned hunts and baiting should be condemned by ethical hunting organizations." - Blackhawk

"Give a man/woman or child a fish or meat and feed them for a day.

Teach them how to fish or hunt and feed them for a lifetime - and they'll never forget you"

Well, I'm not sure I'm ready to condemn all of capitalism as an evil force that has ruined my hunting. After all, the system here in this country has been pretty darned good to me ......  :) .

Doc

Doc,

Please review my comments.

I'm not saying it's "all of capitalism" nor how the "system here in this country" treated anyone.

It's about ethics and greed in general.

i

Ok. Ethics and greed ....... two very common human traits. Nothing new, and those traits can be found, to one extent or another, in all of us. And yes it does have an impact on some aspects of hunting and hunting related industries. Ethics has a positive effect and greed has a negative effect...... generally. And no, "deer hunting will never be the same". Also, you will never cram that evil genie back in the bottle. So where do we go from here?

Doc

The message in reply #3 (is obvious) is ad hominem in nature and shouldn't be permitted in the Hunting New york forums. Make a comment to a particular subject without ad hominem commentary. In the case of reply #3 the character in the video makes the ad hominem comments.

The message in reply #3 (is obvious) is ad hominem in nature and shouldn't be permitted in the Hunting New york forums. Make a comment to a particular subject without ad hominem commentary. In the case of reply #3 the character in the video makes the ad hominem comments.

The comments you are making in the original post are just as inflammatory if not more so than the video. If you are going to condemn people for what they do, be prepared for the fallout.  :P

BTW, I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with canned hunts.  8) I am still staying out of this subject.

The comments you are making in the original post are just as inflammatory if not more so than the video. If you are going to condemn people for what they do, be prepared for the fallout.  :P

BTW, I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with canned hunts.  8) I am still staying out of this subject.

WNY,

who was I inflammatory to?  those who support illegal/unethical canned hunts and illegal baiting

reply #3 was ad hominem

there are forms of hunting that i would never participate in but we should understand that alot of hunting methods are traditions that are older than most of us. you can go on and on about dogs, bait, drives, you know, but i try never to bash other hunters methods as long as they are within the law where they hunt.

sits in trees I concur 100% with you. I sure do not hunt like some of the other hunters but have no problem as long as they are doing what is within the law.

As a younger man I lived in Va and in the tidewater areas they allow the hunting of deer with dogs. I accepted a weekend to try there sport, I found it was not to my way of hunting to put down 10+ dogs and shoot at deer going 10 mile a hours thru the smap with 00 buck shot. They due to poor shots have the dogs take the deer down.

I( also have some hunter in the area now that think it is great sport to put on drives with there 4 wheelers to archers in tree stands. It seems to work for them but it not my cup of tea.

Myabe it my just being a old fart now, but the taking of the deer seems to be a by product of all those other things that mean a lot to me in archery, the year long shhoting to make sure I have the skill set. The pre season scounting with buddies to see where the best deer sign is. The hunt with good buddies and in year past the hunting club I was a member of to hear all the stories of current and past hunts. They all make up the fiber of lasting hunts.

WNY,

who was I inflammatory to?  those who support illegal/unethical canned hunts and illegal baiting

reply #3 was ad hominem

"Canned hunts" are not illegal. Ethics are a matter of personal opinion. Now you are getting into baiting? As long as baiting is legal in an area, there is no problem with it.

As I said..."If you are going to condemn people for what they do, be prepared for the fallout."

enjoy.

WNY,

reply #3 was ad hominem

Your original post did not say anything about illegal hunts or baiting - it stated all canned hunts and baiting where wrong to you. So which is it?

I have to agree that there are things that run contrary to my personal code of ethics, and legality is only one factor that enters into that kind of judgement. Canned hunts fall into that category. Yes they are legal, and no I do not think they are forms of ethical hunting. You can call them "slaughtering operations", but calling them hunting is a bit offensive and demeaning to most of those of us that hunt "wild" animals.

So legality is only one aspect that has to be factored into one's personal code of ethics. It may not even be a major one. Most likely that isn't such a radical position. I'm sure we can all figure out at least one thing that is legal that we don't think is right. The reason for that is that we don't generally leave things like ethics and opinions up to legislators.

Doc