Our legal system finally works . . .

Deerthug

Sorry for all concerned except dead guy...can't undo any of it....Thank God this time the system worked...but unfortunately I believe ...only because ....he showed remorse on both the tape and in person.....knowledge to tuck away in ones brain...just in case.....

You gotta remember that this was in Texas and the people there don't take any CRAP! If this happened in NY, things may have been different. As an aside, the guy should feel remorse but only because killing a person shouldn't feel "good." I wouldn't want to have to do it, but in the same breath I'd do it in a second to protect my family and deal with the consequences later.

• Like 1

They would still be pulling me off, and I don't have kids, yet you mess with my Godchild or any of my friends kids and you will not get a free pass... I do not know that my blind rage would show any remorse... God Bless this poor child and the family.

To muddy the water a little: How many of you are Catholics? Card-carrying, dues-paying, practicing Catholics readily support child abuse: Money for lawyers to protect pedophile priests doesn't come from heaven...it is provided by "good Catholics". Money for moving those pedophiles around...to new locations where they can continue their evil ways...comes from the same. Again, the question: How many of you are Catholic??

WNYBUCKHUNTER summed it up perfectly - GOOD. I have zero tolerance for those who violate any child in any way - the reprucussions of events like this last a child's entire life. My dearest sympathies to that family, and hopefully they have the strength and suport to pull through this.

I was baptized Catholic until around the year 2000 when I fell away from that church. So you insinuation is Catholics are condoning and supporting child abuse since they contribute any money to the church?

Let's take it further. Are we supporting and condoning child abuse in our schools since our tax money supports teachers that committ child abuse?

Let's take it further. Are we supporting and condoning child abuse in our schools since our tax money supports teachers that committ child abuse?

Only if the teachers are found guilty and then face no discipline other than being transferred to another school.

Wow. i wasn't aware a priest was criminally found guilty, didn't do time and was left in the Preisthood and moved to a defferent area. What preist was that so I can read up on it.

Good point. What I should have said was that if a school district was found to have withheld evidence of abuse or was found to have covered up abuse.....

And, you will not find a school administrator who moved sex offenders around so as to keep them well supplied with prey....and then be elevated to sainthood.

When a teacher is found guilty of child abuse...he/she is fired!....not merely moved to another school where more child victims await.

And, you will not find a school administrator who moved sex offenders around so as to keep them well supplied with prey....and then be elevated to sainthood.

When a teacher is found guilty of child abuse...he/she is fired!....not merely moved to another school where more child victims await.

So we stay apples to apples. which Preist was found guilty and then moved

Wow. i wasn't aware a priest was criminally found guilty, didn't do time and was left in the Preisthood and moved to a defferent area. What preist was that so I can read up on it.

Good point. What I should have said was that if a school district was found to have withheld evidence of abuse or was found to have covered up abuse.....

I am in 100% agreement. They really circled the wagons. Just becasue they are a religious institution they do not have immunity from prosecution. any cover up to hinder an investigation should be treated like the crime it is. I think there were a few cases outside the statute of limitations but has there benn an actuall prosecution of cover up and of actual abuse?

your cherry picking here...it is common knowledge that several priests have been found guilty b by their own admission ...to there superiors and then moved to other perishes...I believe there was a infamous case in Boston...hell I believe Oprah or some other "credible" if that even exists ..talk show had ex priests and victims on...

by the way I don't believe in any "organized" religion but was baptized...confirmed raised Irish Catholic ...even acted as an Alter boy when the boys wouldn't show on Saturdays

This stuff happens in every type of organization were sadistic ppl with power issue can gain access to young kids...The good ole southern Baptist aren't immune to this sort of thing...though they handle this why differently

Allegations of and convictions for sexual abuse by clergy have been subjects of public debate in many countries (see Roman Catholic sex abuse cases by country). After the United States, the country with the next highest number of reported cases is Ireland. A significant number of cases have also been reported in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and countries in Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia.[9]

In 2001, lawsuits were filed in the United States and Ireland, alleging that some priests had sexually abused minors and that their superiors had conspired to conceal and otherwise abet their criminal misconduct.[10] In 2004, the John Jay report tabulated a total of 4,392 priests and deacons in the U.S. against whom allegations of sexual abuse had been made.

Although the scandals in the U.S. and Ireland unfolded over approximately the same time period, there are some significant differences between them. In the United States, most of the abusers were parish priests under diocesan control.[citation needed] While there were also a significant number of abuse cases involving parish priests in Ireland, another major scandal involved criminal abuse committed by members of religious orders working in Catholic-run institutions such as orphanages and reform schools.[citation needed] In the United States, the abuse was primarily sexual in nature and involved mostly boys between the ages of 11 and 17; in Ireland, the allegations involved both physical and sexual abuse, and children of both sexes were involved, although a large majority were male.[citation needed]

In a statement read out by Archbishop Silvano Maria Tomasi in September 2009, the Holy See stated "We know now that in the last 50 years somewhere between 1.5% and 5% of the Catholic clergy has been involved in sexual abuse cases", adding that this figure was comparable with that of other groups and denominations.[11] A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse by Dr. Thomas Plante of Stanford University and Santa Clara University states that "approximately 4% of priests during the past half century (and mostly in the 1960s and 1970s) have had a sexual experience with a minor" which "is consistent with male clergy from other religious traditions and is significantly lower than the general adult male population which may double these numbers".[4][12] Additionally, according to Newsweek magazine, the figure in the Catholic Church is similar to that in the rest of the adult population.[13]

This is from Wikipedia:

I am not cherry picking I am tryign to discuss specific allegations being made.

I am in 100% agreement that these are the most evil of evil criminals and they exist in EVERY organization especially where adults are in positions of trust and authority. I think it is unfair and biased to specifically call out Catholics in this regard.

What i posted didn't specifically reference either criminal or civil cases. The point was that the archbishop acknowledged rampant child abuse and admitted that there had been a concerted coverup and failure to report abuse. Yes, maybe the percentage of priests committing these crimes is comparable to the general public. The point of the matter is not to say that priests are more likely to commit these crimes than non-priests. The point is that the Catholic Church has had a policy of protecting known abusers.