Taking a hang on stand in and out for each hunt?

regulat0r

The property I have permission to hunt is private but like most suburban areas, it is near a housing development and there are other guys who sneak on to the property to hunt. The land owner does not live in the area and quite frankly i dont have the desire to spend my free time chasing guys around...I dont want to leave a hang on in the woods and the areas that are best do not allow a climber.

I was thinking about leaving tree steps in the trees but carrying my hang on in to the woods each time and taking it up the tree and hooking it up. My only concern is this would use quite a bit of energy and i would make a commotion. If i practice hooking it up this summer and get into a good rhythm, do you think this would be a good idea or is it more work than its worth?? Thanks!

Your way is do-able but it will get noisy and tiresome pretty quick. You may want to leave the stand always up ( chained and locked ) and pull the bottom steps as you leave. Or instead of screw-ins, use climbing sticks and just pull the bottom one every time. But pulling the stand will be the only way to guarantee you don't get it stolen. It also may prevent you from getting a deer..

I do this quite often. Here are some thoughts:

1.) If you plan on hunting out of the same tree leave the screw in steps in and chain and lock your stand. I remove the bottom spikes, just as an added deterrant - 4 or 5, making it more difficult to steal.

2.) Climbing sticks are nice as long as you don't mind "wanders" to hunt out of it. Personally I like to leave a set-up alone until the conditions are right - having "wanders" hunting out of my stand defeats the purpose of why I want to set-up there and my plan when I hunt there.

3.) If you are short on stands or don't want to advertise your spot (again hunting out of the same tree) what I usually do is screw in the steps, still remove the bottom 4-5 and carry a lightweight portable. The best and most cost effective model is the baby kong by gorrilla,lightweight and easy to hang on and remove. I screw in the bottom steps, put the stand on my back and I have my bow and pack tied up. I hang the stand and reel everything up. It takes a little longer but worth it in certain situations.

4.) Lastly, and probably the biggest pain in the ass but most rewarding especially when you are hunting "big buck core areas/bedding" is to set it all up and hunt it that same trip. I have seen more big bucks this way for obvious reasons. I carry 10 spikes velcroed together with straps and the portable stand in. I find a suitable tree - not "hard" wood or you will sweat your cajones off and be cursing me left and right. Look for pine or any other soft wood tree. I screw in the bottom 4 and then put the stand on my back with a hoist securing my pack and bow. I screw in the remaing 6 spikes (4-6 inches above your opposite knee) will get you 16-18ft. You hang the stand, secure your harness. Screw in your pack holders. Hoist up your pack and bow and get ready for your hunt. It's rough but rewarding and I use it only in certain situations.

Practice makes quite in all areas - the velcro straps work well, I recommend for carrying the spikes in - bungee cords work well to keep the stand from clanking. Overall it is pretty quite. Oh - bring some water because you will need a drink and some cover scent or scent killer in your pack.

Also when selecting a tree per the other thread consider the wind and yur scent trail as you select the tree - try to avoid walking all over timbukto only to end up at your first tree - trust your instincts and the whole purpose to use this strategy is to capitalize on the element of surprise. Leaving a scent trail between you and where the deer will come from (most likely their bedding) defeats the purpose.

Practice during day light before you try this for a morning hunt which requires a head light and some better knowledge of the terrain.

Good luck.

Might as well get a climber if your carrying in and out and then you wont even have to worry about the steps. If you dont have far to walk, that would be your best option. There are several models that weigh 20 lbs or less and are easy to use. Also the local yahoos wont know where you are hunting and you might be able to suprise one of them.

Edited by erussell
  • Like 1

Here is an idea that I have used a few times. Buy a cam lock receiver stand. Millennium makes a good one. Although the stand itslef is pricy the thing is you wont have to buy multiple stands, one is all you need. You buy a be receivers, set them up in your tree of choice. Carry the stand in and just clip it into the receiver. Much easier and QUIETER than trying to rap a chain or strap around a tree while holding it with one hand and struggling to reach around ahhhhh heck you get the idea. heres a link to the receiver. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Treestands/Hang-On-Treestands|/pc/104791680/c/104783580/sc/104374080/Millennium8482-Cam-Lock-Receiver-Bracket/744809.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-hunting-treestands-hang-on-treestands%2F_%2FN-1100102&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104374080

They sure do http://www.outdoorse...ittalon.html��I personally like straps better than chain. Not sure if this is compatible with all there hang ons or specific to a certain one, not much for info that goes along with it.

Well isnt that odd I copied and pasted the link and it now takes you to a crossbow section. LOL I will try again.

http://www.outdoorse...ummittalon.html

thats better!

Edited by wdswtr

It sounds like this is more for short sits...nothing beats a LW setup for mobility. Get and Assault or Alpha and be done with it. You can buy hooked straps to set up similar to the Milleniums but, really, once you get used to the versa buttons, you'll see that it's super easy.

Mobile hunting is NOT for everyone. I am not particularly good at it, but I do it. LW is a quiet stand, so that helps. I wouldn't want to have astand in there to showcase an area as being worthwhile to any of the trespassers. I'd pack in and out. LW sticks and stand. Expensive, but worth it and the stand will be around for looooooooooooong time for you to use. I have been toying with rapid rails as I like climbing with them better, but they are moer of a hassle to pack quietly and put up.

But, in your case, I wouldn't ever think of leaving a stand up if you know others trespass....it'll just be wasting your time and money, even if they just hunt it and don't steal it. Been there and done that....never again.

I'm not a huge fan of screw ins, but they have their place. If they are allowed on the property I hunt, I'll usually bring 4 or so to use as the bottom steps to save me from having to buy another LW stick to get 16-20 ft.

One other this about hang and bang...setting up in the dark in my opinion is much more difficult that during daylight. I simply can't seem to be as quiet doing it.

Edited by phade

Here is an idea that I have used a few times. Buy a cam lock receiver stand. Millennium makes a good one. Although the stand itslef is pricy the thing is you wont have to buy multiple stands, one is all you need. You buy a be receivers, set them up in your tree of choice. Carry the stand in and just clip it into the receiver. Much easier and QUIETER than trying to rap a chain or strap around a tree while holding it with one hand and struggling to reach around ahhhhh heck you get the idea. heres a link to the receiver. http://www.cabelas.c...EO;cat104374080

This what I suggest as well. One stand and several receivers. Comfortable too.

I would def go the climbing stand route if i were you. Much easier than carrying stand and sticks into the woods. Look into a Lone Wolf Hand Climber. Very light and quiet setup/climbing. You could also buy a pair of lone wolf sticks and use that with the hand climber when the tree has branches and you cant climb up with the climber.

John

Im sure he would but he said "the areas that are best do not allow a climber". I love my climbers and prefer the comfort of my summit over my lone wolf hand climber. Both have there place though for me. All day sits Im in the summit. Long hikes Im in the lone wolf. Seat and platform are too small to get confy for long periods for me.