Metal Ladder Stand, anyone use them?

burmjohn

I saw the great post on custom stands. Just curious if anyone uses a metal ladder stand.  I picked one up off ebay today, just as an extra because I have limited time to get enough stands up this season on the new property for me and any friends that might come along.  Even if I do have the time, its nice to have to many and give me options.

Anyways, I picked up a 2 man ladder stand from http://bigdogtreestands.com/ladderstands.html - the Red Tick III - it looks really solid with the double ladder, solid then others I have seen.  And it was on ebay for 169 with free shipping, can't beat that! It weighs about 100 lbs too.

How sturdy are these things? I'm not planning on having 2 guys in there, I just wanted wiggle room..

Didn't own - use a metal ladder stand for a few years untill this year, new lease. As they seem to be prone to theft. The one you said you got looks huge. But all in all they make fairly sturdy stands. They all flex a little when your climbing, but it's nothing to worry about if it's secured well atop & at the brace.

Some people feel more comfortable, or safer in a ladder stand over a climber. They are both about the same to me. Either seems a better footing over a hang-on & sticks.

I've used a can of flat black or grey to touch-up any shiny buckles or bolts.

Have 3 of another brand that i really like.

I decorate mine with the fake branches/leaves, really breaks-up the outline.

Could tie wrap normal branches to it also.

This works well especially up around the platform where you sit to hide movements some.

Like to get mine set-up as early as possible to let deer get used to it.

Placement is a key factor with most stands, especially the ladder stands due to their size.

True to visualize your location with no leaves on the trees.

Will you stick out like a sore thumb or be skylighted?

I have a 2 man ladder stand. Ive had myself and my fiance up in it a few times, its rock solid. I have 4 ratchet straps holding it to the tree, the ladder does not support it much at all besides when you first prop it up. I have to get up there and fully release it this year, as its been up long enough for the tree to grow a little and lift the bottom of the ladder off the ground just a bit. That is my favorite stand, it came with a roof and blind that goes on it, so it is nice when its raining, snowing or windy. Almost as good as a box type blind.

007.jpg

I bought 3 of the two man ladder stands a few years ago, so I could take the kids with me. I've never been a fan of ladder stands, because I do feel like they stick out. Anyway, it does seem like the deer get use to them and it does help to camo them up a bit. Sometimes I walk into the woods and really have to look for the stand!

They sure are nice and comfortable for those long sits though!! You can stretch out and with the rail around you, I feel safer too. That rail is a nice rest for gun hunting too!

The one thing that bugs me about ladder stands though is that when I stand, I feel like I stick out from the tree because of the seat! I just bought a nice large ladderstand from Dicks that the seat folds up when you stand! I LOVE that feature! Then it gives you a huge platform to stand and move around in and you can lean back against the tree when you stand, so you blend in better.

I have a store bought ladder stand,secured to a  forked  trunk  tree,then added a fold up swivel seat and I made a fold down arm/gun rest that is attached to the tree with fold down legs that rest on the stand platform with a pulley and rope for hoisting things up and one of the fold up umbrelas. 

All I use are ladder stands.  IMO they are the safest and fastest type of stand.  When I say fastest, I mean getting into and settling into for the hunt.  Climb up, hook in, hunt.  As for them sticking out.....I've never ever had a deer come in and act like the stand bothered them.  Just get them installed before the season and deer with not care.  They are easy enough to conceal with branches, brush, etc anyways.  Also, I always try to install mine against a set of trees.  I like a minimum of two adjacent trees so that the platform has the trunk it is against and another truck on one of the front corners.  That way, I have something to hide behind. 

I have several ladder stands and like Viper I prefer to set them up where there are 2 - 3 trees close together . It gives me some cover and something to hang my backpack , etc on . Anything to get an edge .

I have several ladderstands . I usually buy the single stands at Dicks when they have them on sale for $50 and I use a $10 coupon so they end up costing $40 plus tax . I use a cable lock on all of them also .

I have set up quite a few and it is much better with 2 guys but if you are by yourself this is what I do....

Bring an extra 20' rope and 2 12' ratchet straps.

Put the base of the ladder where you think it should go and lay the stand on it's face fully assembled.

Tie the rope ont he platform and stand on the ladder base to hold it from sliding....pul the rope and the stand will stand right up.

get it settled against the tree and attach the mid brace.

climb up so the mid brace is at your knees and swing a temp ratchet strap around the tree and put a hook on each ladder up right. Tighten it...move up and do that one more time. at this point you should be able to reach the platform strap to install it.

I have done it without the ratchet straps but only if someone is holding it for me. It is still pretty hairy even then. If some one else is with you do the same but have the other guy pull the platforn snug to the tree while you go up.

Best bet is with someone. I hate doing it alone in case something happens but I have had to do it..

Good luck and be careful

This old fart has put up a bunch of ladder stands by himself . It's not that hard to do . Once in a while the legs might slip on me then I am trying to raise it up but for the most part , it's pretty easy . The change they made with the stands that I think is great is the adjustable brace that attaches to the ladder and tree to keep the ladder from flexing .

I have 3 Summit Single Shot ladder stands I generally move each year.

First year I had someone help me and that makes it much easier.

Last 3 years I've lowered them, disassembled, reassembled and put them up by myself.

I'm retired, so take that for what it's worth.

Usually lay them out, stake the base and walk them up like an extension ladder.

They're more of a pain in the butt to adjust once they are up than putting them up initially.

Usually put cement blocks under the feet to keep them from sinking into the wet ground, ~6" x 12" x 4".

Flat rocks would work.

Couple of substantial ratchet straps to secure it to the tree. Good to go!

Word of warning - Steel ladderstands in cold, icy conditions can be hazardous!!!!

Ice forms on the ladder rungs and the platform easily due to the steel.

Pretty much a gun season event, so I shoot sitting anyways.

Very carefully ascend and descend with both hands free.

Under these conditions I always wear a safety vest and am secured to the tree.

When I put my ladder stands up, I dont bother with ratchet straps on the ladder, most of them come with 2 very long straps that attach to the sides of the top, where it rests against the tree. Take these (once the stand is propped agains the tree), cross them around the back of the tree and then tie each one to the uprights on the ladder, about 4 steps up. As long as they are tight, they will hold the stand to the tree good enough to take the ratchet straps up and attach the top of the stand to the tree with them.

I do use the ratchet straps, just at the top of the stand though. I meant that I dont use them on the ladder when Im first climbing it. I have 4 ratchet straps on my 2 man stand, plus the 2 long ones that were used for putting it up, and then the straps on the roof frame and mid-ladder brace. Heres a quick diagram of what I was trying to describe.

Untitled-3.jpg

I don't like to climb the ladder stand at all to install the top ratchet.  The stand always moves under my weight and I can never get the ratchet to swing around the tree easily.  Depending on the design, the legs of the seat sometimes get in the way. I've had to get into crazy positions just to get the ratchet around the tree.  And then, I might not have a good enough angle on the cam to tighten the ratchet enough.  So what I do now is use a seperate reular ladder.  It works much better.  Just lean the stand into position, then climb the regular ladder to attach the ratchet.  No more weird angles, no shifting stand, etc.  The only issue is the cumbersome task of hauling in the regular ladder.  But that's why I have a 17 yr old son.  ;D

You young whipper-snappers come up with more excuses . J/K

Once I have one of the ladderstands set up . I usually remove the straps that you attach to hold the stand to the tree when 1st setting up . The next time you set up another stand , take the "extra" straps along . Get the rachet strap started when you are standing on the ground so it won't pull apart and attach one of the extra straps on each end . When you climb the ladder , pull the rachet strap up with the straps and attach the ends to the platform . If you have limbs in the way , you might have a problem .

• 2 weeks later...

I have several 16' ladder stands, all bought from Dicks as seasonal closeout for less then $100 ea.  They are much safer than climber's and do not damage the timber like permanent wooden ones.  The added benefit is that they are easy to relocate to match changing deer habits. If you are going to leave them up all year, I do, just remeber to loosen the ratchet straps at the end of the season.  Tree growth and tree movement can weaken the straps if left on tight to the tree. Getting them up and down is no problem, just follow the instructions that come with them.  One man can do - teo is better and quicker.  We have even moved them mid-season with out disturbing the deer patterns.

Good luck this season.