learned a few things today....

growalot

I shot the bow and learned a few things...cocking rope had to be shortened...a lot.....

The videos of how to cock the bow...BS...oh just hold firmly and stand up...Well I looked like a boomerang frozen over the bow....had to wiggle rope off string...tie to stock...lower and brace my hands against my back to stand!...Let me say...I'll be feeling this for a week or so...but...an hour later..I was at it again...this time all forearms...have to do more curls

I shot off hand and started at 20...aiming low so I wouldn't loose a bolt...dead on...went to 30 and second line...aimed dead on and was way high...but in line with the first bolt...went to first line at 30...dead on...bolts touching North to South....stepped back to 40 and the second line...dead on and same at 50 and 3rd...

So who ever sighted it in did an excellent job for 30-40-50 yrds....

20--30--40 yrd shots..I had to lay down my HD deer target brace my foot and yank to get bolts out...the 50 went in 4inches and not as bad

So...... crossbow has given me a whole new type of shooting injury...lol

I have only shot "offsets" in the north to south range ...where as with my compound they vary east to west

Yes very loud...but so fast...not sure it would make a difference...will sacrifice some speed for dampeners

175# is not hard to pull...but knowing how to pull is a must...and the safety is really loud...don't like that at all....

I would still use the compound during bow season when things change...hunting should challenge you...half the fun is figuring out if and when you can draw with out him seeing you...and knowing that if your caught...he out smarted you and lives another day for it...but have to say bear hunting in fall.... that would be my go to...only because I hunt alone and in an isolated spot.....

Ya......I will have plenty of time to get all the dampeners on ...I'm a serious hurting unit right now....full back brace and standing is ....well not good...hoping this is muscular and not disc....aggravated an old injury that had me down for nearly 3 years...being very careful right now

you will find that loudness will present a challange when deer hear it and jump the string. i have taken many deer at 35 to 40 yds with my dead quiet Diamond and PSE bows, not a chance in hell with a crossbow at those ranges.

Wrong, I know quite a few people who have taken nice bucks in PA with crossbows that were 35-45 yards away.

Wrong, I know quite a few people who have taken nice bucks in PA with crossbows that were 35-45 yards away.

Just because they jump the string does not mean you can not get a good shot off, I sudgest if shooting that far with any bow or cross bow to use a call during the shot to reduce the chance of them jumping...

EX: Call while shooting to reduce the chance they will hear and jump the string... I can not say it will work but I figure it can not hurt as long as your call does not spook them. DO it just before releasing, practice with your bow in off season with call while shooting...

People might look at you wierd but if you get a nice deer who cares... I figure the call will disguise the string release slightly or just enough to allow a good shot... If done properly the deer should not jump as much with the string release alone.

This is just a theory, what do you think???

Ya......I will have plenty of time to get all the dampeners on ...I'm a serious hurting unit right now....full back brace and standing is ....well not good...hoping this is muscular and not disc....aggravated an old injury that had me down for nearly 3 years...being very careful right now

I would suggest the crank from now on :good:

post-205-0-12978600-1340871548_thumb.jpg

This didn't come with it and as it stands I really wouldn't be using it enough to warrant the 250 or so dollars to buy one...seeing NYS wasn't intelligent enough so allow them for small game before all the hoopla and dissent over them going into big game....I'll just work on arm curls a lot more...but that will wait ....back is messed up!

By the way..... those of you into all this political...hhhmmm...lets say "stuff"....ever think of going for a bill that would put them into small game and turkey as a back up to the archery season bills... seeing they are not going through...Lets see your benefits would be....obviously another weapon in the arsenal...perhaps getting more ppl out small game hunting ...helping to get some relief on safety issues....a season of small game with no injuries would be a notch in your belt....and give the gunners that ppl... like me worry about...don't shoot me I'm not the only one...a bit more confidence in them being in the woods with a cross bow

To add to that..... if you really thought things out seeing most wear BO any ways....supporting a BO mandatory would also relieve some of the issues ppl have with crossbows...now before it starts...let me say perception is everything ....it may not reduce the unlawful trespassing and poaching But just the thought of ppl getting caught not wearing it and being fined...would give some the impression it helps....Just some thoughts....

Know all to well about jumping the bowstring. Calling while shooting sounds like a good idea. I've been thinking purchasing an A-way Bowgrunter Plus to accomplish this. Going to take some practice though.

Oh boy, now we get the small game and turkey hunters in an uproar. At least then, maybe get a decent amount of instruction on crossbow safety.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I found its easier to cock my crossbow by hand. Without the pull string. Just latch ahold and pull.

It may be quicker and easier in the woods but I would never hunt with a crossbow that's been cocked by hand. When you cock by hand the string will never be symmetrical, as you always pull harder with one arm then the other. If your consistent you might not notice a negative effect on your shooting ,but let someone else cock it for you and its very likely you'll miss the target by 3 or 4 feet.