Portable Ladder Stand VS Any Climber Stand

Pack n Stack Ladder Stand

http://www.huntriver...?params=RE622*0

To anyone that has used the Rivers Edge Pack n Stack, and a climber as well, which do you prefer most of the time?

The stand is about 33lbs, I usually remove one part of the ladder to keep it lighter. I was thinking of buying another one because I like to keep my current one up a Mountain for the season, and I want to use one on public land I am exploring nearby. It is a super chore to hike it up the private mountain so leaving it there keeps me from sweating and walking over an hour instead of 30 minutes up a peak in the Catskills.

So far my pro's and con's for the ladder stand

Pros:

- easy to carry on your back

- easy to put together quickly

- very affordable at $89

- I can easily go down and take care of any business quickly (bathroom, stretch, move it to a new location)

Cons:

- on the heavy side for long hikes especially uphill, which I prefer

Anyone used this or a similar portable ladder stand and prefer a climber still? It's a pretty specific question to anyone that has used both. I know climbers are great, but pretty expensive and its easier for me to spend another $89 rather than 200+ or more for a good light climber. I guess my budget will dictate the final answer but curious to know if anyone else has used both and their thoughts.

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego

You could make anything work for you. BUT..........

33lbs is heavy. I'm sure that thing is LOUD to carry and set up. I'd bet that the comfort sucks. If your not comfortable, you won't want to use it.

Trust me, save your money and buy a lightweight climber. Summit has plenty to choose from and Craigslist would be a good place to eye.

If, at the last minute you haven't found a used one, Dick's will have a giant sale going on at some point.

• Like 1

Although I don't own one (yet). They are a better choice in stand placement. The Pack n Stack can go into trees with branches, verses a climber, that cannot be use. This would be especially useful on public land where limbs cannot be cut. I'll be looking for one with a better seat on it.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I'd go with the lightweight climber, or better yet a hang on. You can find hangers that weigh 11 to 15lbs. You can hang one in the public land spot and lock it to the tree. That way, all you have to carry into the woods is a set of climbing sticks.

I agree that climbers are nice but are limited..a ladder stand is nowhere near as portable, limited height options, but can put in places a climber can't go.

I'd be more inclined to use a hang on and sticks. Although, I prefer climbers in the a.m. just because I am not as quite setting a hang on and sticks in the dark.

Although I don't own one (yet). They are a better choice in stand placement. The Pack n Stack can go into trees with branches, verses a climber, that cannot be use. This would be especially useful on public land where limbs cannot be cut. I'll be looking for one with a better seat on it.

I find the seat comfy and I sit all dawn to dusk with some stretching breaks in between.

I like the idea of the hang on sticks and stands, but I know they can add up $$$ fast.

Question about Hang on sticks and stands. Can you sit in the stand? Must you screw anything into the tree or do they make any that use ratchet straps? Rather not screw anything into the trees, especially if I hunt on public land. I like the idea of being able to leave it up there and remove a couple sticks also so nobody can easily steal it.

I have multiple hang-on stands and just one set of climbing sticks. I leave the stands in place throughout the season (unless I decide to move them) and i just carry the sticks in and out of the woods. The sticks weigh just a few pounds and are quiet and quick/easy to set up. Nothing is screwed into the tree. It's ratcheted on. You can put a cable/chain lock on for security. They're pretty easy to move if you decide to change locations. I have ladders, climbers, permanents, and hangers- and the hangers are my favorite because of the versatility and ease.

I have a few of the Gorilla Kong models. They weigh about 13 or 15lb, really light. And they cost about 90-100$. They're rock solid, totally quiet, and pretty comfortable. My sticks are Lone Wolf. They're good- pretty light and very easy to use. But, if I was going to order another set of sticks, I'd look for a set that was a little easier to stack together and stuff in my pack.

Lone Wolf is the ONLY way to go for a mobile hang on and sticks combo in my opinion. Beats everything else out there for mobility and quietness. Not exactly the most comfortable seats, but you are out there to kill, not recline and watch a ballgame.

You could also look at Muddy, but they are China made and not as quiet. The cast platform of the LW is a big deal.

I tried the small ladder stand portability thing one year. Ill never ever do that again. Heavy, loud to set up and just causes entirely too much commotion. For me, mobile hunting equals climber, if I cant use a climber, Ill put a hang on up, but not for a 1 day or less hunt. Id just hunt off the ground in that case.

Ok, you can contact the guy that makes them through archerytalk. He does not want to deal with the insurance stuff, so he has a waiver that you sign when you order them from him. He calls it the Steppladder system. Heres the thread, he responds to it on page 2, and you can PM him

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1569065&highlight=Stepp+ladder

I'd say a climber all the way. They're light, portable and fast to set up. They have to be way faster and less bulky than any ladder stand.

I have two Summits & love them. It's pretty much all I use now.

The Stepp Ladder system looks interesting. Other than the slippery surface, slow installation and risk of bumping one into the "up" position when climbing they could be could for when leaving a hang one stand in the tree for a while. Just stash a few steps near the tree or carry in/out with you.

I wouldn't want to be lugging a bag of 10 steps (a pound each?) plus a hang on stand around to often so it would need to be somewhat of a permanent location, at least for a a couple weeks.

For mobility, NOTHING beats the climber. Buy QUALITY, don't by a cheap climber. Source a GREAT harness and USE it.

The three best bowhunters I know ONLY use climbers, hunting just about every day.

Climbers can be nice, but I'll tell ya...it is hell to have to hunt trees instead of deer.

If I know I have climber friendly trees, so be it. If I'm unsure, I'm tagging the Alpha and sticks. I want to be where the deer are, not where the climber friendly tree is. You are way better off with that setup if you hunt fresh sign at all.

I've got three climbers..a summit and two LW. Certainly nice, but you cannot deny the fact that you need the right trees to hunt with them. Deer don't exactly cater to that.

Edited by phade