Interesting Youth Season Spot on News

phade

There should be a second part to your question. That being, if hunters are not taking kids hunting now, what makes anyone think that they will during a special season? Who are the people who will mentor kids in a special season? .... They are the same ones that are currently doing it during the regular season.... aren't they?

Heres what I am thinking based on what I have seen personally. Its not the mentors that are going to push the kids to go out that already dont. Its the kids that are going to push the mentors to take them out. I am willing to wager a bet that if I told my kids I was not going to take them out on the youth hunt, they would either force me and tell mom lol or disown me as there father. I could fight back with "I take you out already all the time what is the difference" Response would be because its my day.

DOC you made a statement in another thread about it a "Me Generation" sadly it is true, if parents with this me me me attitude have a day where its about the kid and not them I think it will do good, and just maybe it will influence them after seeing the enjoyment the kids got to take them more often. The only way to determine if a youth hunt is a success is to implement it right? Once it is the numbers will tell if it works or not. And yes I hope this is not the do good feeling from the state to pat them selves on the back and move on. I hope they continue to evaluate and make inprovements to getting the youth out there.

I think everyone should take note and realize the importance of voicing your opinion on what you think is important , NY Bowhunters is a strong organization and keep on top of what they believe in, they keep on top of what is going on and fight for what they have, and want to keep what they have and get more if possible. If you only have a vocal few, your chances of making a difference are greatly diminished. In my opinion this is the same reason antler restrictions were implemented, the ones who are in favor were very vocal and the majority who weren't, sat back and hoped for the best or were not informed as to what was going on and were under the impression that DEC made the call as to what was implemented or not. I for one, took the time to write DEC and lawmakers and voiced my opinion, but you have to wonder how many others just sat back and waited to see what happened.

Heres what I am thinking based on what I have seen personally. Its not the mentors that are going to push the kids to go out that already dont. Its the kids that are going to push the mentors to take them out. I am willing to wager a bet that if I told my kids I was not going to take them out on the youth hunt, they would either force me and tell mom lol or disown me as there father. I could fight back with "I take you out already all the time what is the difference" Response would be because its my day.

DOC you made a statement in another thread about it a "Me Generation" sadly it is true, if parents with this me me me attitude have a day where its about the kid and not them I think it will do good, and just maybe it will influence them after seeing the enjoyment the kids got to take them more often. The only way to determine if a youth hunt is a success is to implement it right? Once it is the numbers will tell if it works or not. And yes I hope this is not the do good feeling from the state to pat them selves on the back and move on. I hope they continue to evaluate and make inprovements to getting the youth out there.

No, I think you missed the point of my question. If parents and other hunters currently have no interest in taking kids out hunting In regular season, where are all these people going to be coming from to serve as mentors for a special youth season. I don't believe that anything about special seasons can force parent/hunters to do the right thing any more than during the regular season days. It is quite logical that attendees of any special youth season will be exactly the same people that are already providing opportunities for kids within current regular big-game seasons. So where is the additional recruitment?

I also think that allowing youth's to use their tags for either sex during the regular season is a good alternative to not having a designated youth season. I take my son as often as possible, but giving him a chance at a buck can be a challenge.

Sadly, I believe the youth hunt is the DECs start to get gun In archery season. It's been stated that archers don't harvest near enough deer in some WMUs, at least what DEC wants harvested. The goal, I believe ,is to get an early muzzleloader season in early southern zone archery. This is the only regret to an early youth season, opens the door, and I really don't want that door opened.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Sadly, I believe the youth hunt is the DECs start to get gun In archery season. It's been stated that archers don't harvest near enough deer in some WMUs, at least what DEC wants harvested. The goal, I believe ,is to get an early muzzleloader season in early southern zone archery. This is the only regret to an early youth season, opens the door, and I really don't want that door opened.

To many bowhunters would not buy a license if that happened and they know this. I would not be to worried about that. More and more people would go hunt other states.

You guys all know my stance on the youth hunt already, but I just dont get the whole thing. I support a youth hunt but why not do a youth bow hunt in bow season and a youth hunt in gun? Keep the weapons where the weapons belong. Definately some things need to be worked on to get more youths into the hunt. I dont however see this as them trying to open the door for guns in archery season. Adding more days to it like they have might make some difference with archery harvest numbers. They have a tough job trying to please everyone. You know the old saying you cant them all, all the time but you can please some of them some of the time. We are all so divided on our personal stance of how things should be done its impossible to make everyone happy.

You guys all know my stance on the youth hunt already, but I just dont get the whole thing. I support a youth hunt but why not do a youth bow hunt in bow season and a youth hunt in gun? Keep the weapons where the weapons belong. Definately some things need to be worked on to get more youths into the hunt. I dont however see this as them trying to open the door for guns in archery season. Adding more days to it like they have might make some difference with archery harvest numbers. They have a tough job trying to please everyone. You know the old saying you cant them all, all the time but you can please some of them some of the time. We are all so divided on our personal stance of how things should be done its impossible to make everyone happy.

Among many other youth promotions, NYB already conducts youth archery hunts.

There should be a second part to your question. That being, if hunters are not taking kids hunting now, what makes anyone think that they will during a special season? Who are the people who will mentor kids in a special season? .... They are the same ones that are currently doing it during the regular season.... aren't they?

Yes they are. I've mentored kids and will do it again when the time is right. Put that early youth season in and you can bet the ranch I will have a couple of kids on my property hunting. That said mentoring during the bow season is a blast. Hanging two stands in the same tree and watching that wide eyed kid enjoying the outdoors,

priceless!

First post here. I have read through this thread and don't understand why some of you are so against a youth season. The only reason I can see is greed or fear of someone else getting "your buck". It's sad really and scares me to think that this is what new age hunters are turning into. You care more about the rack on your wall than you do about the future of this sport.

That being said, I agree with the idea that a special early season won't increase the number of youth willing to give hunting a shot, but it will however increase the number that get excited about it and want to continue to hunt. How could your first few days of hunting spent during warm weather seeing a lot of deer with easy shot opportunities not encourage repeat attempts more than cold weather and fewer animals???

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

First post here. I have read through this thread and don't understand why some of you are so against a youth season. The only reason I can see is greed or fear of someone else getting "your buck". It's sad really and scares me to think that this is what new age hunters are turning into. You care more about the rack on your wall than you do about the future of this sport.

That being said, I agree with the idea that a special early season won't increase the number of youth willing to give hunting a shot, but it will however increase the number that get excited about it and want to continue to hunt. How could your first few days of hunting spent during warm weather seeing a lot of deer with easy shot opportunities not encourage repeat attempts more than cold weather and fewer animals???

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

you did not read it all or you wouldn't think the way you are

you did not read it all or you wouldn't think the way you are

Why because he does not think the same way you do? So everyone should have the same conclusion just because they read all the post in this thread? Excuse me while I go laugh my ass off now.

Yes, he comes with me whenever he can. Unfortunately were I hunt, we don't see many deer after opening day unless you participate in deer drives or put in a lot of hours.

The higher chance of success, warmer weather, and feeling of having a season he can call his own is very exciting to my oldest son. My younger boy shows enthusiasm but is not old enough to understand fully yet. I also found out Friday that I have another son coming sometime around Christmas.

All 3 of my boys will be introduced to hunting.

To make my view clear, and coming from a dad and avid hunter, both with bow and gun, a warm weather hunt with a higher chance for success seems ideal for my kids. Not to mention the fact the time span that deer move in during daylight seems shorter this time of year is perfect for young people with short attention spans. And fewer hunters in the woods makes a safer and more enjoyable hunt for youngsters.

Good to hear. Sounds like they will be hooked with or without any special season. congrats on the new addition.

Thank you!

I hope you are right about them getting hooked, there is no guarantee. Hence why I want any advantage I can get when trying to hook them.

What's also concerning to me is the not so avid hunters who may also be trying to get their children involved. I think this group may benefit most from a special season. A quick, warm first hunt could be just what it takes to hook just a few more kids.

Thank you!

I hope you are right about them getting hooked, there is no guarantee. Hence why I want any advantage I can get when trying to hook them.

What's also concerning to me is the not so avid hunters who may also be trying to get their children involved. I think this group may benefit most from a special season. A quick, warm first hunt could be just what it takes to hook just a few more kids.

I oppose this youth hunt and before everybody gets all emotional consider this ,

The Youth Deer hunt is set for a holiday weekend and it'll be the first weekend of turkey hunting in the fall . Guys in cano will be walking in and out of the woods. Same with archers and small game hunters, those hunters will be walking in and out of the woods in camo.

Not only that, the DEC is allowing buck or doe during the Youth hunt so they'll be very inexperienced hunters in the woods looking for anything that moves and they'll be hunters walking in the woods dressed in camo. Does it make any sense ??????

This youth hunt is nothing but an early season for dad who'll grab the gun and shoot his trophy buck. Parents were the ones who suggested a Youth Deer hunt. This wasn't a DEC thing. Naturally Dad wants this Youth hunt weekend so he can get first crack at the buck he's been seeing all summer.

Stop babying new hunters, either they like hunting or they don't. The excitment of opening day is more then enough to get young hunters interested. I was 12 years old in 1976 the first time I went deer hunting. It was 5 below zero the morning we got up to hunt in the Catskills near Livingston Manor. That morning I had to cross a stream with leaky boots and I had all the wrong clothing for that days hunt. But I look back and it was one of the most exciting days of my life.

Don't endanger our lives DEC to give dad and his son first crack at a deer. This hunt is for 14 and 15 year olds , what about 16 , 17, 18 year olds ? they get discouraged to.

This isn't only me, every archery group in the state opposes a youth hunt.

Found this on another site this is what its all about----- I nice a warm hunt to get them going, get friggin real

Why? What are your reasons for opposing it?

I heard many reasons why it will fail, but the only one I have seen for being against it is safety which I don't buy at all.

Edited by troutfisher13111