Management Buck?

QB1

I don't depend on venison either, I donate it every year and just keep the backstraps.

All I'm saying is that if your goal is to shoot a buck and you passed, then you can't have any complaints. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Where I come from, any buck is a good one and means you had a great season.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

If you have no place in telling anyone else what they should shoot (like none of us do), why is it frustrating then? If it was an easy shot, and you didn't want someone else shooting it, then you should have shot it yourself. You can't have it both ways. If you let them walk, then the odds are good that someone else might kill it. That's just the way it goes.

I get you. And its not that I don't want someone else to shoot the deer but at the same time is kinda is but I'm not getting my shorts in a bunch over it, if I was on another property with unlimited tags it might be a different story. Just so happens we have rules as a hunt club and I let the deer walk hoping that it would make it to next year and be a real stud. In this case I watched the deer walk towards the next property and get shot. I'm disappointed/frustrated the deer didn't make it to next year, probably more frustrated after the deer wasn't recovered but thats a different story.

You guys ever have any "slip ups" on your club where sub standard bucks are taken?

Not since we implemented the rules. (last 2 years) We did have a buck that scored 118-120 roughly (just us measuring not an official scorer). We gave him the benefit of the doubt. We have had some button bucks killed but that was because shooter thought it was a doe. Basic penalties are $20 for small buck (under 120) or button buck, fees go to kitty for new stand, seed, etc so everything comes back to the property.

Killing "or culling" bucks from any herd because his antlers aren't meeting your standards is NOT deer management.. it is however trophy management... they are not the same thing. One is based on YOUR standards.. the other is based on herd health and balance.

The buck looks to be a healthy buck of at least 3 years old with a big 6 point frame... shooting him for "deer" management purposes would be pointless... I would take him simply because he is a good mature big racked 6-pt... six points that size don't appear too often.

• Like 4

Killing "or culling" bucks from any herd because his antlers aren't meeting your standards is NOT deer management.. it is however trophy management... they are not the same thing. One is based on YOUR standards.. the other is based on herd health and balance.

The buck looks to be a healthy buck of at least 3 years old with a big 6 point frame... shooting him for "deer" management purposes would be pointless... I would take him simply because he is a good mature big racked 6-pt... six points that size don't appear too often.

Do you think he would be a bigger 6 or 8 next year? The reason I posted this buck was to get feed back from someone who has better knowledge on qdm and deer potential. If this is a 2yr old deer then personally I would like to see him as a 3yr old if I'm convinced this deer reached his top potential then it's time for him to be on hit list...if not maybe we as a club decide he is off limits just looking for opinions

If he walked in front of me I would shoot without remorse. But I know the average rack size for my area. A 130's buck is a bruiser around where I hunt and anything over is an awesome deer. Good buck by NY standards!! My question would be, is there bigger deer on the property? Also more than likely if you are seeing him now he will be somewhere else miles away by November.

Edited by erussell

I tell you, the philosophy some of you guys have is totally messed up!! Do you guys realize that you don't own the bloody deer? If you pass up a buck because it isn't big enough for your standards, you have absolutely NO reason to be pissed if the guy on the next property shoots him. Absolutely NONE! These are free ranging deer and it's just too bad that it didn't lie down for you and stay on your property until it gets it's bigger set of antlers next year. I think you guys need to only hunt behind fences where there would be no chance of the deer escaping with your attitudes. Just mind boggling how hunters think these days. I guess watching too many deer hunting TV shows and screwing a camera to every tree in the woods will do this to people. Someone might as well come up with a device where a number is spray painted on a deer when it walks by so then you can argue with the guy on the next property when he shoots it that the deer was numbered on your property and that you are claiming it! Unbelievable!

Better not shoot that deer with the Circle Jerk Ranch brand on it's hynder.. He's mine.. Edited by dave6x6
  • Like 1

If he walked in front of me I would shoot without remorse. But I know the average rack size for my area. A 130's buck is a bruiser around where I hunt and anything over is an awesome deer. Good buck by NY standards!! My question would be, is there bigger deer on the property? Also more than likely if you are seeing him now he will be somewhere else miles away by November.

Yes there are bigger deer on the property. We have almost 300 acres and have had deer in the past in the 150's 160 class on and around the property. There are hunters in the area that will pass on a 130 class buck and others that won't so you take the chance of letting a deer walk and getting popped by someone else. The way I look at it is I can hold out in hopes of seeing a bigger deer, and hopefully having a 120/130 be a 150 next season. If I shoot the 120/130 that leaves 0 chance for next season. And I say all this now but a 130 class deer is open to shoot on hte property and would be the biggest deer I've taken so if a deer of that caliber walked under my stand who knows what I would do.

If the club goal is 120 minimum why even worry about a sub 120 buck?

That is why I posted the pic. I'm torn when it comes to the 6pt because he's a awesome buck but part of me says "man if he made it through this year..." So I was looking to get opinions from other hunters who might be able to give me some insight to bring to the table when my hunting buddies and I decide what to do. This is a super nice 6 pt but has he reached his maximum growth potential? The idea is to work to have trophy deer (150 Class) on the property. In order to achieve this goal you have to try and take out the bucks which have poor genetic traits for growing big antlers so the big boys can have all the ladies. Also you have to let the 2-3 year olds walk, If a 2-3 year old deer is already 100-120 inches his potential to be a "trophy buck" is very good. If you or anyone else was looking to manage your property in a similar fashion to how we are would this 6pt be a buck you would put on the hit list this year or give him another year to grow? If a buck is under 120 inches and we decide his potential to be a trophy buck isn't there then we as a club will still put him on the hit list even if he is under 120 inches.

If the club goal is 120 minimum why even worry about a sub 120 buck?

Now that we got most of the judgemental comments out there, I seriously think that this is what it boils down to. I don't know if this buck is as good as he's going to ever be but to me, it doesn't matter. He doesn't meet the stated goals so on our property he's a walker and sounds like yours as well so don't even give it any more thought. If the neighbors shoot him, good for them. If he lives next year and blossoms into a 140" dandy, good for you. Either way, it doesn't sound like you are lacking in good opportunities there on your grounds so leaving him is the only choice for me.JMO As for the removing him from the herd statement, As others have said, I think you are wasting time and mental energy even concidering this into the equation. It does not work in the free range period.. And lastly on this particular buck, I do not think he is anything more then a 3.5 yr old and does have some yrs ahead of him for growth. He walks in my book. Good luck with him and ultimately only you should make that choice. Edited by dave6x6
  • Like 1

That is why I posted the pic. I'm torn when it comes to the 6pt because he's a awesome buck but part of me says "man if he made it through this year..." So I was looking to get opinions from other hunters who might be able to give me some insight to bring to the table when my hunting buddies and I decide what to do. This is a super nice 6 pt but has he reached his maximum growth potential? The idea is to work to have trophy deer (150 Class) on the property. In order to achieve this goal you have to try and take out the bucks which have poor genetic traits for growing big antlers so the big boys can have all the ladies. Also you have to let the 2-3 year olds walk, If a 2-3 year old deer is already 100-120 inches his potential to be a "trophy buck" is very good. If you or anyone else was looking to manage your property in a similar fashion to how we are would this 6pt be a buck you would put on the hit list this year or give him another year to grow? If a buck is under 120 inches and we decide his potential to be a trophy buck isn't there then we as a club will still put him on the hit list even if he is under 120 inches.

Any decisions you make on a property that small are about equivilant to pushing a rope. NO decisions you make will change the genetic potential in the local deer. Unless you are fencing that property just decide if you have wall space.

I would agree with split and Doe completely but it is so hard to do in reality. The mental discipline it takes to let 135" 3.5 yr olds walk is not easy. You think letting forks and spikes walk causes anxiety with hunters, try letting ny book bucks go until they make it to 4.5 yrs old.. That's hard.. Granted, it is a restriction we bring on our selves so we only have ourselves to blame but thats the game we have decided to play. My failures in this area are well documented and so thank goodness for hunting partners with a good sense of humor.. And for a few big deer to even the score..LOL

Edited by dave6x6
  • Like 1

I was just about to say that, I agree age should be more important than score.

Your hunting goals need to reflect on the caliber of deer on YOUR hunting ground, not someone else's. If you want to kill a 150" deer but there are none within miles of your hunting ground, you are in for a long, discouraging season!!! Personally, my goal for the upcoming season is to arrow a couple of does and a buck that's at least 3.5 years old. I feel that this is a realistic/obtainable goal for my particular area.

PS...I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that big 6-point!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Heres a twist for you. What happens if you shoot that 6, and the neighbors shoot a 150? You going to second guess your decision? Now reverse that situation and your neighbor shoots the 6 and you get a 150. You guys have a set of bylaws follow them or its going to start you down the path of "is this one a cull buck". Which culling on free range deer on 300 acres isnt going to even work.