Are deer afraid of horses ?

fasteddie

Mine are. The deer come in the brush, near the barn, running trails. Spooks horses quite often. Horses stand in the corner of the pasture and want no part of deer when in view. Better hold on for 'deer' life, cause your going for a ride, on or off the saddle,lol.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I hunted deer and bear with a muzzleloader 14 miles back into the Adirondacks about a decade ago. We rode horses from the drop point to the camp area. We were able to ride within 40 yards of deer without spooking them. Only after we got close enough for them to see a man on the horse did the deer run. The guide said deer don't fear the sound of a horse coming because it sounds like any other for legged ungulate, which do not eat deer.

Hunting deer & Elk from horseback is quite common out west.

I have read many guides accountants back home of them hunting " 8 miles back in" but everytime we try that we come out twice,lol. Thats the nice thing about thick woods in the north country even a mile away paralleling a highway it feels like youre the only one on earth, other than the damned planes overhead, we were 8 miles back in yesterday at bourne pond in vt and when the noon whistle went off in town it made me jump so bad i dang near bit my pipe stem off, its that close straightline in open hardwoods to my ear. Several suggested maybe i switch to sanka,lol.

Ive never had horses or mules spook game be it bears elk moose or deer, i would get rid of any horse that spooked at deer, like dogs that fight at a tree, there are certain genes that simply shouldnt be passed on, imo

Well, I can certainly understand deer becoming at ease with horses when the horses are part of their everyday existance. It's like anything else in a white-tail's world. If they have frequent exposure without any negative incidents, they accept them as part of their environment.

However, what I wonder is how they view them when it is just the occasional horseback rider that comes wandering past your stand. Do they view that situation as being harmless? I have a feeling that that may not be the same situation. Also, do they view the scent of horses as being harmless in areas where they are not used to encountering the scent of horses?

Doc, u better get a bomb proof horse, lol. Take a shot off most, the ground, she's a hard one.

Maybe a lap-belt on the saddle? :biggrin: Hey, what the heck .... I saw the Duke blazing away on horse-back in True Grit. And that was at a full run. You could be riding, chasing and gunning all at the same time. YEE-HAH !!!!

i can see my neighbors horses in the pasture from one of the stands i hunt about 130 yds away and they make darn good spotters for deer that are in the thick brush that runs around their pasture. its nice, like having 6 sets of eyes and ears with the plus side that the deer arent afraid of the horses.