How trail cams help Deer management.

Just a thought here. This is the first year we really put out multiple cameras on the property. With that said, years past you would see the occasional buck in the fields around the property but never really got to know the actual deer that are in your woods until deer season. During season you may be tempted to take a decent buck (6pt) not knowing bigger ones were around. Now with the cameras out you know exactly what deer have been around,

knowing that you have some quality bucks caught on the cams may sway you into letting a smaller buck walk. We all know the big ones disappear

at season opener(lol) but it gives me pause to think how the cams may help deer management on your property. I know it will be happening on my property this year. Anyone who hunts will get a look at the pictures before they go out. More thoughts on this???

I don't have rules on the size of bucks that can be taken off my property, but e-mail all the guys that hunt pics of thedeer the sm and large bucks, they all seem to hold off waitong for a better buck that they have seen a picture of. all done Without antler restrictions.... and they are now taking more mature deer because of it.

I works for me especially on those days when you are not seeing much. You always have in the back of your mind that one of those bucks may walk into your shooting lane at any time.

Also what helps is the time on the cameras. Daylight movement even if it is from does helps make the long day sits even easier.

35 years of hunting, 700 acres of land and i have never owned a cam. I guess it would be nice to see what is walking around but in my eyes it really does not matter because we all know how mature bucks move around duing the rut. When it comes to bucks knowing whats out there does not matter to me. Anyone that has taken a book buck or even a mature buck knows the feeling you get when you know you are looking at a shooter. When you see a buck that makes you flip and just about come unglued in your treestand you will know its something special. I dont even think about shooting if i dont just about fall out of the tree on first sight. Everyone has different ways of doing things Cams are a tool to help but there is nothing better than that fist sight shock that we get when we see them for the first time. I would also think the scent we leave around the cam site would not be a good thing. IMHO

yep use as a tool to see whats around, not pattern. if you crawl into some thick nasty spot to put a cam up yes you may get a huge buck on cam but chances are he's not there anymore due to oscent you left. put on open feeding areas/main trails where human disturbance is more common. You may only get 1 pic of a good one but a greater chance you didn't scare him out of the area.

This year, for the first time, I got repeats of two mature bucks from the same interior set during the summer. I got June, July, and August pics.

UNfortunately, once the velvet has shed, I'm pretty confident I've lost them to another parcel.

Before that, i rarely ever got repeats of bucks in interior-placed cams. I think this time around was more or less luck because the placement was between bedding and water this summer and there really wasn't any other option for them to go to get to it and they were forced into daytime movement. I don't expect them to be there opening day.

Cams are a dangerous tool. Used incorrectly...and they do harm.

Well I'm not getting ANY buck pics..save button fawn...but I do know...they like looking into the cams this year...more than ever before...and this stand...which is on a new clover trail plot...actually a group of trails that connect and run into the plot in first pic...is now part of the land...unlike last year where they would look up at it...they have not lifted their heads up once this year......good to know

This my first year ever using a trail cam also. My Dad and I hunt 8 acres of property behind houses that borders many other acres of private land we can't go on. In years past, I pass on spikes and 4's early in the season, but take them later on. We dont see many deer each year, but when we do its usually a 50-50 chance its a buck. Between my Dad and I were 25 bucks in 18 years off this 8 acres. 11 out of the 25 are 6 point or better. Seems like every year there is 1 6+pt buck and 1 smaller buck. Last year my Dad got a big 7, I got a 3pt. This year with the trail cam, we got a spike, a 4, and 6-8.....because of the trail cam pics, I will definitely pass the spike if I see him opening day, maybe even pass the 4.

This year, for the first time, I got repeats of two mature bucks from the same interior set during the summer. I got June, July, and August pics.

UNfortunately, once the velvet has shed, I'm pretty confident I've lost them to another parcel.

Before that, i rarely ever got repeats of bucks in interior-placed cams. I think this time around was more or less luck because the placement was between bedding and water this summer and there really wasn't any other option for them to go to get to it and they were forced into daytime movement. I don't expect them to be there opening day.

Cams are a dangerous tool. Used incorrectly...and they do harm.

i am willing to come over and help you hunt them. B)