my hippy friends elk

Nomad

Ya i've hunted out there with him and a friend from Seattle. We out of staters would buy the deer/elk combo because the odds of getting it are far greater then deer tag alone.We did some elk hunting, and I was thinking,"theres no way in He!! I'm going to shoot an elk this far from camp !" Well maybe...but it'll suck.

In NYS we think dragging a 140 pound whitetail a 1/4 mile is reason to buy a 4wheeler.

Edited by Larry302

Nice Elk, who took the pic? 1.6 miles isn't bad. I would gladly walk 1.6 miles to get an Elk like that. Who cares how long it takes to get it out, be happy you got one.

I dont know anybody in NY who uses anything other than their hands to drag deer out of the woods. Guess it depends on where you

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Knowing Rodger he's pretty good with his camera,so I'd say a timer and setting it on something. Oh ya I'd do the work to, but you'll be walking way more then1.6 miles,its several round trips packing out head,hide, meat.

I'll ask him how many.

I will say where we hunted elk (gun) we were camping and it got down to 6 degrees in the AM and we had to wade through waste deep snow in spots, so the thought of getting an elk back to camp was not worth it to me . Now some of the ranches they'll drop it into your truck with a front end loader, thats cool.

Edited by Larry302

Four trips- about 275-300# of meat. About 90#/load.

Some heavier some a little lighter.

I already have the head boiling for a european mount.

I going to have it scored outta curiosity.

I've been cutting meat the last few evenings. Should finish tomorrow.

I am going to make a lot of sausage. Italian, breakfast, kielbasa, etc.

I'm going out with a buddy next weekend and we will try and find one for him.

The temps are getting cool at night and they are bugling big time now.

Good luck hunting!

R

He lives in Great Falls,but hunts all over the state. I've hunted the Maria river bottom and the Gatlin mtns. they now have a deer spot to the East of great Falls where before the winter kill of 2 or3 years back you'd see 300 deer a day ! the guy who owns the ranch would get a B+C each year.....

I may need to go back ! With the poor economy you can now get out of state Lic. over the counter !

I may need to go back ! With the poor economy you can now get out of state Lic. over the counter !

Not to be contrary, but I am not sure where you found this out. I'm a MT native and going back next year and didn't see a change in the rules. I checked the FWP website and it still had them as a draw. Where did you hear this?