Opening day report!!

shooter

Just got in from the morning hunt. Was cool and breezy 1st thing then wind died off soon as it got light. Did not see anything moving other then a few red squirrels. It felt great to be back at it and was a very nice and comfortable sit. Be back out this afternoon hoping for some evening activity. Reporting from Webster, NY area

As I was pulling into my lane at camp at 5:15, there was a doe, 2 fawns, and a basket racked 8pt standing ~50 yards off the road feeding in the neighbors soybeans.

I was settled into the stand at 6:00. I was just inside some woods, with a field on my left side. At 6:45, I saw a fawn all by itself, walking along the edge of the field ~25 yards away. If it had been walking inside the woods, I wouldn't have seen it, as it was still too dark in the woods with the canopy. At 8:25, I saw a deer heading my way. I got ready! As it got closer, I could see it was the same fawn, just headed back by me. It passed by at 8 yards, bleating/blating the whole time! I assume momma was probably in someones freezer with a DMAP # attached to it! I heard that the neighbor has taken out a couple of does using DMAP's. :angry: If he's so concerned about damage to his corn, he should be shooting the hundreds of damn raccoons that we have around destroying his corn, instead of the few deer that we have around!!

Heading back out this afternoon when my son gets home from school. Hoping he can arrow his first one this year!

Lousy morning. I got skunked.....literally had a skunk walk by me.

This afternoon was great though. 2 doe, 3 button bucks, small 6, big 6 (no brows), and 2 real nice 8's that need another year. Could have shot 7 of the 9 under 30 yards. Fun day. Can't wait til tomorrow!

I and my partner were skunked (figuratively!) all day. Sat from dark to about noon...then from 3:00-dark. Saw ZERO deer. I am totally baffled. Cameras showed good activity and yet neither of us saw an deer all day...yikes..panic mode! Is it too late to take up golf?

Im happy that i didnt wound him, not sure what happened but 16 yds broadside and clean miss, but i did have really good activity 11 doe and 3 bucks a spike,small 8 and the big guy, not bad for 2 hrs in a transition zone, I will be back out tonight but in a different stand gonna let the other one cool down for a few days.

Welll, it sounds like I'm in good company. I missed a mature ( possibly dry. Had zero fawns) doe last night. Just over her back. I honesty had no expectations of seeing anything. Camera in tht area was up for two weeks and not one deer said cheese. So, all and all a great start. Glad it was a miss. Funny she stuck around for 45 min after. She even came back and was smelling the arrow.