Lymes

Dom

Well just got back from hospital.Not been feeling so well and my body ached allover I thought that I had the flu or something else,cause even my mental status has been off I have been treated before but doctors say that first treatment didn't work and believe that the lyme is in the third stage,not very good got to go for follow-up on Fri.SO to all fellow members check yourselves very good for tics.The only good thing is I have the next few days to be back in the woods.As Allways GoodHunting.

I have to echo Dom's words. Lyme's disease is easily treated and only requires a simply blood test. If you start feeling flu-ish and been in the woods a lot, ask your doc to do the test. You never know when one might have bitten and then fallen off. I had one on my head and didn't know it for a few days. About 5 years ago I had a tick bite in a very delicate place. The tests said no to Lyme's disease, but I had flu-like symptoms for 2 weeks and Bell's palsy on top of it. DEC says Lymes is on the rise here too. Just my two cents.

Dom if you ever need a chat, I have chonic Lyme disease.

Rev Ev, that's only partially true. Lyme has been proven by independent study to linger in the lymph system of some individuals, and even after an antibiotic course can cause chonic problems in some people. Some people never see another problem from it but some do.

Unfortunately, this is further complicated by the fact that ticks can carry more than Lyme.. they can cause co-infections of other tick borne diseases! These include Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis/anaplasmosis, Bartonellosis (this is usually very mild), and a few others that you generally are safe from in this area.

The good news is that an antibiotics course nukes it in most people, if caught early. The people that experience a full recovery outnumer the people that experience chronic problems.

Lyme tests can also be inaccurate, and throw false readings depending on many factors. Which is why most recommend that if you think you have Lyme, to request all three tests be done. The tests are called Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), Indirect fluorescent antibody (IFA), which if either show a positive or indeterminate result, should be followed by a Western blot test. Be aware that most doctors run only one of these tests, and sadly a lot of doctors only have a very basic knowledge on Lyme disease.

Jennifer,

You're right, most people respond to antibiotics (but not all do) and there are three tests. I feel for your situation. I agree that most Dr's don't know much about it which means that those of us in the woods all the time need to be self-educated.

Thanks for the correction.

I was diagnosed with lyme last year. I had a huge rash on my waist, so I went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics after the test came back.

I'm 29 and have always been in great shape and health, last two weeks I have had aches and pains in places that have never bothered me before, and flu like symptoms.....Im calling my Doc

Thanks for the post Dom, hope you get well

Thanks all go back to doctor tomorrow to see what other test-drive have to be done.I can deal with the aches but it's messing up my mind.I live in Dutchess County so lyme is definitely in this area.only being in my mid 30's the last thing I want is to loose my mind. And thanks again

No problem Rev Ev, I just wanted to make sure that anyone that came across this and read it had some information about how to approach Lyme. I'd hate to see someone not get taken care of, as this disease can either be very mild or really kick your butt, and no one knows how they will react! It's a reall pain because it seems almost random how it effect different people.

Back when I was diagnosed 18 years ago, there wasn't a whole lot of information about this as it was still a fairly new disease. My dad had only heard about it from-- you guessed-- hunting magazines and so recognized the bulls-eye rash when I was young and was bitten. I was taken to the ER and was treated by a Lyme-ignorant staff (not really their fault, not mad with them or anything) and long story short I wasn't given the proper dose or length of antibiotics (according to today's findings).

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

Well I have to say thanks Dom!

When I read your post last week, it made me finally call my doc for an appt. After some blood tests, they called back a few days ago and gave me the news...I have lyme for the second time. I am also on doxy for 21 days.

I dont know if its still from when I was diagnosed with it the exact same time last year or not, but I got it again. Just as before I never pulled a tick out of me. After having it last year, I have been very diligent in checking for ticks on my body. I even have the wife check places that I can not see.

• 2 weeks later...