Fast Eddie's Fables --- 2012 Edition

fasteddie

I will be trying my luck again tomorrow but I sure hate getting up at 4 am . It never bothered me much in my younger days but now , it sucks !

I took my son's Mossberg 835 to the range this am to check it out . Ist shot at 50 yards was right in the black . I put a couple more in there and then hit low . He is using the Brenneke KO slugs . Decided it was me not the gun and that all shots were in the killzone at 50 yards .

I moved the scope up 8 clicks and put 2 shots at the top of the 4 1/4" black ring . After a dozen shots I started to flinch a tad but was still in the kill zone and figured I would leave well enough alone . It's ball parked but we don't all have the same sight picture and what's good for me might not be good for Nick .

When I got home I took the barrel off and gave it a good cleaning . Ran a the bronze brush through it and the a crapload of patches . Then , in all my brilliance , I decided to remove the trigger housing group . Once I did that the carriage interupter fell out . As I was putting that in the carriage stop fell out . Dayum !!! I took out the bolt slide and couldn't remember which way it went back into the opening . I was working up a sweat and thinking I was going to have to bag a bunch of parts and to to a gunshop .

I asked my wife not to talk to me for a while and took my time working on the re-assembly . I finally got it back together and everything works fine . I was sweating bullets for a while . It's one clean shotgun ! B)

I'll give the gun back to my son when we hunt together this coming Sunday .

I went to Geneseo this am and took a web chair . I sat at the base of the Willow Tree after trimming a bit of crap that was blocking my view . I was relaxing at 6:30 waiting for 7:22 to roll around . Sat there until 10:30 . The spot overlooks a processed soy bean field where the deer travel . Nothing !

Walked to the woods and through the thickets and still didn't see anything . Went to my car and changed clothes . Stopped up to talk to my SIL before leaving . She was working in her barn . As we were talking , I spotted 3 does running across her neighbor's field . I had already called it a day and was in the process of thawing out . Did I forget to mention that it was cold .

The real killer was when I turned off 390 onto 590 there were 8 does out in the big open area .

Took the wife to dinner when I got home .

We met in Geneseo at 6 am , got our gear and headed for the stands . Two of us had to walk almost a mile to get to the stands . NEVER saw a thing . We walked the woods and the thickets and didn't kick anything out . Heard possibly 5 shots all day but in the distance . My SIL called me at 10:20 to tell me that a doe was in her lower pasture lot . She noticed it when she was heading to the barn to let her horses out .

I had brought along a 15" sub that we split and ate while we talked about where we might put up a couple of permanent stands this summer for next year . Left around 1 pm and that was good timing as it had started to rain .

Listened to the Bill's game on the way home .

My sister in law spoiled my day . She called me at 9:40 am to tell me that she looked out her back window and could see a buck laying in her Sumac right behind the house and he was grooming himself . I told her she should have waited to have the screening replaced on her deck which is probably at least 12' higher than the ground below . B) Her property drops off rather steeply 10 yards from the house .

I had cut out a bunch of that Sumac last summer and it grew back . Saw several old rubs when doing this . There is an overgrown field on the West side of her house where the deer travel through .

Still struggling ! Sat in the cold this am from 7 -11 am . Thought I would do some walking . Got out of the blind and instantly froze . The wind made the cold air brutal . Said nuts to the walking bit . Trimmed a few limbs , etc and headed for the car .

Drove over to my sister in laws house . Got out the shotgun and chambered a round . Walked behind her house and looked where she said a buck had been laying a couple days ago . As I eased over , a doe jumped up from the Sumac about 20 feet from me and I was startled . She ran into the pasture lot and I drew a bead on her but didn't shoot . I didn't know where the 2 horses were and didn't want to do something stupid . The property behind the house is low and then it drops down much more about 30 feet from the house and down into the pasture . It was the only deer I saw all day and I didn't hear any shots all day .

Another exciting hunting day . Met my oldest son at 6:30 this am at the Geneseo site . He headed for the woods and I went to the tent blind overlooking the lower pasture lot and lane way . Neither of us saw anything . Went to our vehicles , got something to eat and both of us headed for the woods . I sat in a treestand until 4 and headed back up toward the pasture .

My son saw a weasel or something swimming with a mouse in its mouth in the am . Neither of us saw any deer .

As we were leaving , I got out closed the gate and was calling my sister in law to know that we were safe and sound .

Her next door neighbor stopped me to see how we did . He got a buck with his ML and missed a doe during the season . All he has to do is walk out to his condo , sit in comfort ., shoot and pick the deer up with his tractor . I told him that we hadn't seen anything and he said there were 7 doe in his pasture lot right then . I said thanks but I don't hunt with a spotlight . It was dark .

It was a bit nippy yesterday . I was sitting in the stand thinking how I used to be able to withstand the cold much better and then the light went on . I have been taking Coumadin ( blood thinner ) for the past few years and it has been since then that the cold has affected me more . But ......... i'm not about to give up the Coumadin to gain warmth .

I have a set of the insoles that you take out a piece of padding in each one and slide a hand warmer in there . That helps quite a bit . I also have not learned to walk slow to a stand so as not to perspire and then cool down and be cold .

I guess thin blood is better than none and better than having a stroke .

Getting old sucks but it sure beats the alternative !

I get cold feet easily.

You should get Cabelas Inferno 2000 Pac Boot.

Get a pair and you'll be fine. I only use them in Canada. I was outside in sub zero temps and was fine. I wear under armour cold gear snowboarding socks, then a pair of wool socks over those.

Wasted another morning in Geneseo . Sat in the cold from 6:45 until 10:00 . Got out of the blind and walked the woods and thick field . Never saw anything except my sister in law's neighbor's dog and cat in the pasture lot . I called the guy up to let him know the dog was there . It's a mix of Boxer and Rotweiler . It's a real friendly pooch .

I was hoping I might see a deer crossing the lot either heading for the gulley or leaving it . The deer wouldn't be around with the dog there . The owner was smart enough to have a blaze orange collar on it .

Anyway my SIL lets her horses out at 10 am which allows me to shoot in that lower pasture lot until then . The dog and cat were together and it was funny to watch the cat tagging along behind the pooch . As soon as the neighbor called for the dog , it hauled butt with the cat right behind it .

post-132-0-59348400-1355364264_thumb.jpg

Yeah --- this is some of what I found on Flu Shot Side Effects

I have to get out there again no matter how I feel !

Flu-Like Symptoms

The flu shot contains an inactivated flu virus, which makes it unlikely that you will contract the flu from the vaccine, states the CDC. The live flu virus is contained in the nasal spray form of the flu vaccine, which can cause individuals to mild flu-like symptoms. Either vaccine can cause a mild fever or body aches, which are flu-like symptoms. The live flu virus vaccine can cause mild flu-like symptoms like runny nose, nasal congestion, headache, wheezing, abdominal pain or infrequent vomiting or diarrhea. These reactions are most often reported in individuals between the ages of two and 17, states the CDC. Individuals between the ages of 18 and 49 have reported a sore throat, chills, tiredness, weakness or headaches. These symptoms are generally considered to be mild unless they are persistent beyond one or two days.

Another fun day in the great outdoors . Was at the tent blind by 6:30 located on Lima Road about 1 mile from Country Club Road . I heard 3 quick shots to the west of me toward the village of Geneseo and checked my watch . It was 6:50 am and sunrise was at 7:35 plus there is no way the 3 booms came from any ML .

Anyway , I got out of the blind at 10 and did some walking . Shoved off for the village and got something to eat . Went back to my SILs and went to a treestand and sat until 4:15 . Sunset was at 4:37 so I started heading back up to the blind , grabbed my gear and went to my car .

Hooked up my trailer and loaded up the ATV and headed home . I need to find a different spot for next year . Geneseo had always been a good area for me but it really sucked this year . This was definately my worst season ever !