youth hunt

RobC

when i grow up i want to be just like you an expert.

Oh My DEAR...(set your self of for that a while ago) I'm by far no expert...just an person that can actually hear...but don't get a head of your self...not sure you'll ever grow up to aspire to being average

So I posted a question on other sites......Country wide response

I'll ask a question and tell you why after

for those of you that have shot 12 and 20 ga or have heard others shoot 12 and 20ga slug guns..

Can you tell the difference in sound...say you were at a distance from two ppl shooting...could not see them..could you differentiate between the 12 vs 20 ga being shot?

Yes, if I can hear them both good. 12 GA has more powder blast.

Yes you can tell the difference...the 12 gauge will be louder!

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:30:56 PM »

Yep, there is a definite difference between them.

Ect..ect..ect............

I heard a shot a 6:07 am this morning!! I'm sure it was just a GREAT MENTOR who was showing the kid to shot them early before dawn because it's your best chance to kill a deer!!

As opposed to the bows that go off that time of morning or late evening no one hears correct? Oh I forgot all archery guys are always legal and ethical. You seem to be an expert when is the best time. Is that from experience? I think you should have gotten up and maybe mentored a youth so you know they learn correctly.

Now, to a good story about the youth hunt. My friend's daughter has been anxious to shoot a deer for a couple years now, but she was not old enough to be anything but an observer until this youth hunt came up. She is fifteen and an active outdoors woman enjoying fishing, small game hunting, camping, and lots of shooting.

Yesterday morning she sat through the rain and cold, windy weather all for naught. She was chilly and frustrated, still full of hope. Yesterday afternoon, I invited her up to hunt in my area because her dad had to work. She jumped at the opportunity and we enjoyed much nicer weather and a lot more action.

We were set up on a field edge of cut corn that I knew deer were already feeding on before dark. She had a forked branch stuck in the ground for a shooting stick and was all ready for a shot. She was really wanting to shoot a buck because her older brother has gotten one his first two years of deer hunting. But, no way she was going to pass up a doe if it came right down to shooting or not shooting.

By 4:00 we already had several does, fawns and a couple small bucks in the field and she was a bag of nerves because they were close to 300 yards away from us and feeding parallel to us. I told her we had lots of time and there were more deer in the area. Sure enough, a nice, young spike came out at a little under 100 yards offering a beutiful shot.

Unfortunately, buck fever set in pretty bad, and she just couldn't seem to calm down enough to hold the scope steady. I got her to breathe deep through her nose a few times and she was able to get her breathing under control. By now the buck is quite a bit further away and she doesn't know if she can still hit it. I reminded her that we were not trying to hit it, she was going to drop it. I ranged it at 160 yards and told her all was well with her shot and to just hold right where she wanted to hit. A couple minutes later he turned broadside, and I told her to take the shot when she was rock steady. It wasn't more than a couple seconds and the rifle went off and the buck dropped where he stood.

I had to keep her there for a few minutes while I explained to her about making sure the deer was down for good, and then, that the gun was empty and the bolt open. That is just one of my personal rules. I like to know without a doubt whether a gun is safe or not.

We got up to the deer and she was just a jumping up and down. It sure did me good to see a hunter showing the sheer joy of getting a buck. I did most of the field dressing, but she did get bloodied up helping. Then the 1/2 mile drag started. We made it, and I sure was glad she was there to help.

This was done in 4F in the town of Edmeston. She used an old .270 Remington with a Simmonds Pro hunter scope(I think that is what it said. ) Perfect high shoulder shot just like she saw in the hunting shows and the deer never took a step. She couldn't thank me enough for getting her a shot, but I feel I was the real winner here because in this day and age you just don't get many opportunities to see such pure joy in anyones face like I got to see. Thanks for reading, and i apologize for not having a picture to post.

Great story thanks for sharing! This is what its all about, great job.

As opposed to the bows that go off that time of morning or late evening no one hears correct? Oh I forgot all archery guys are always legal and ethical. You seem to be an expert when is the best time. Is that from experience? I think you should have gotten up and maybe mentored a youth so you know they learn correctly.

Not STIRRING the pot!!! Keep quoteing me you a-hole. It doesn't take an expert to know when legal shooting time is all you need to do is open up the morning paper and it will tell you OH WISE ONE!!!

Not STIRRING the pot!!! Keep quoteing me you a-hole. It doesn't take an expert to know when legal shooting time is all you need to do is open up the morning paper and it will tell you OH WISE ONE!!!

grrr I suppose you are mad now gash darn it. If you took the time to read the post as I said the first one I was agreeing with you. You made the blanket statement some MENTOR was showing some kid how to do things illegally.In other words the program is bad. Did you ass-u-me this, or did you witness the act? So I made a blanket statement back saying I guess it is better than not hearing the bows shooting at the same time. I never said you were doing anything illegal, but you do seem to be carrying a guilty conscience. I also said if you look back through the threads, you will see many here think it is no big deal to hunt from daylight until dark. I never said you did anything like that. But again it seems like you have a guilty conscience. Now feel free to try to call me names again. I have explained my self I think quite clearly. But, if you feel differently, at least explain yourself ok.

Edited by bubba

If this past weekend was the youth hunt, you could have fooled me. I hunt thousands of acres of state land and between the normal sounds of gun shots heard on any given weekend and the amount of deer I actually saw, I would have to say that the youth hunt had little to any at all effect on my bowhunting activities.

grrr I suppose you are mad now gash darn it. If you took the time to read the post as I said the first one I was agreeing with you. You made the blanket statement some MENTOR was showing some kid how to do things illegally.In other words the program is bad. Did you ass-u-me this, or did you witness the act? So I made a blanket statement back saying I guess it is better than not hearing the bows shooting at the same time. I never said you were doing anything illegal, but you do seem to be carrying a guilty conscience. I also said if you look back through the threads, you will see many here think it is no big deal to hunt from daylight until dark. I never said you did anything like that. But again it seems like you have a guilty conscience. Now feel free to try to call me names again. I have explained my self I think quite clearly. But, if you feel differently, at least explain yourself ok.

No but your sure ASS-U-ME that I have some kind of guilty conscience!! Now go find some other sucker to f-k with your just making yourself look like a real NUMB-NUTS furthering my point!!

Didnt get shot at but I also forgot it was youth weekend and as I was stalking through the woods with my gillie suite on, it hit me. And I was like ooooooooooohhh crap. I decided to glass a little longer before moving each time.

Have you ever been successful at that with the suit and all?