Favorite hunting show gripes

Doc

We have a thread here about our favorite shows, but it is always fun to see just what it is about some of these shows that tend to make you shake your head in disbelief or disgust or just plain confusion. I was reminded of this a couple of hours ago when I saw yet another bowhunting program where about 2/3 or more of the arrow failed to penetrate the deer. What is with these programs where I am seeing some absolutely horrible penetration. More times than I can actually remember, I have seen video of the deer running away with almost all of the arrow flopping around from the entrance side of the deer. But you would never guess that it was horrible penetration from the reaction of the hunter who is just laughing all over themselves with excitement of the shot. Oh yes, and everytime the deer is found almost immediately deader than a stone.

Let me tell you how this would go if it were me. If I hit a deer like that, I would have a heavy blood trail for the first 100 yards and then it would dribble out to a drop here and there with me down on my hands and knees searching out the next drop 50 yards away. I would spend the rest of the day following this almost impossible blood-trail until finally I would be reduced to walking ever increasing concentric circles and finally losing daylight.

If I saw 2/3 of the arrow flopping around as the deer ran away, I would not be laughing and celebrating. I would be swearing up a blue streak and understanding just what a crappy tracking job I had in store for me. At least I would be understanding that I had better be awful lucky that day and the time for celebration was probably a bit premature.

I think that on hits such as this they used to cut that part of the video out. But now I see it all the time. It really makes me wonder what kind of broadheads they are using, or what kinds of bad shot selections they are making to have so many of these shallow penetration cases lately. I don't expect that every hit will be a pass-through. That would be nice but not always realistic. But some of these are doing well if they actually make it to the vitals. Whats up with that?

So anyway that's my one gripe for today about TV hunting videos. Yes I have a bunch more, but this one is a start. However, I am curious as to how some of the various things that happen on TV shows hit the rest of you. So what kinds of things have you seen on hunting videos that make you wonder a bit, or maybe just plain irritate you?

Doc

Doc,

Agreed, and personally I'd like to see more hunts where they come close or don't take a deer.  Its not all about the kill, I like watching more of the preparation and land management.  I wish there were some land management shows, I have yet to really see one except last year.  And I cant remember the name of the show now.

There was a management show on this morning (on outdoor channel). I think it's a regular. But don't ask me the name of it ..... I've got a real good memory but it's a little short.

How about they spend a bit more time on scouting. You know there are a lot of newcomers who maybe could use some fundamentals. Also there's a lot of us old-timers that could use a few reminders of the fundamentals too even though we don't want to admit it.

Some day it would be nice if somebody spent their half hour on TV going over some of the finer points of tracking (both wounded and unwounded) critters. I'm just thinking that not everything has to be the same old tired stuff of  hunter sits in stand ...... deer shows up ....... hunter shoots deer ........ hand-shakes and back slapping all around. That was nice the first 600 times I saw it, but after a while it become pretty predictiable and boring. What's wrong with a bit of real basic instruction. I havent seen any of that since the Wentzels put out their video "Bowhunting October Whitetails" or whatever the name of it was. That was back in the 70's or real early 80's I believe, and I don't think there has been another one like it since.

Also, not everything has to be about whitetails. I would like to see more wilderness hunts that show a bit about camp life and show more of some of that northwest scenery that I and a bunch of others are unlikely to ever be able to experience. I really love some of those western moose, sheep, g-bear and goat hunts. I realize these aren't cheap hunts to video for profit, but a few more of these here and there would break up some of the monotony.

Yes, there is a whole lot more these guys could do with their hunting shows that would vary things up a bit and remove some of that boredom that creeps in every so often with the constant repetition of existing hunting storylines and content. A little creativity in programing wouldn't exactly hurt any, would it?

Doc

On versus, david morris took a kid or a young woman on a "hunt". After the shot he says something to the effect of " you put that bullet right where I said to". Like it was a job well done, but only because it was exactly what he said to do. It annoyed me. 1) is he taking people out who don't know where to place the shot? 2) if not, why the need to tell them where to put it and take partial credit? It was on their "ranch". On another episode they took a helicopter out the day before with one of their daughters to pick out a buck they would take the next day. IMHO, that is not hunting.

I checked the outdoor channel's website for the show lineup, I couldn't find it.  After googling around I found this - > http://www.themanagementadvantage.com/

Yeah, I think that was the name of the show. As I recall from past shows they cover all kinds of game and land management, not just deer. Next time I see it, I will jot down the particulars.

Doc

On versus, david morris took a kid or a young woman on a "hunt". After the shot he says something to the effect of " you put that bullet right where I said to". Like it was a job well done, but only because it was exactly what he said to do. It annoyed me. 1) is he taking people out who don't know where to place the shot? 2) if not, why the need to tell them where to put it and take partial credit? It was on their "ranch". On another episode they took a helicopter out the day before with one of their daughters to pick out a buck they would take the next day. IMHO, that is not hunting.

I agree. That isn't really hunting at all. But I guess it apparently doesn't matter to some "hunters".

Doc

I'm tired of seeing hunting shows that take place on high fence ranches in Texas.  They've got 9 box blinds set up all over the property with 700 yard long shooting lanes cut back which more resemble dirt roads than the outdoors.  Then they spread out some sort of attractant which brings in every deer for miles.  Finally the guide picks out a deer for the hunter to shoot and it's just a chip shot for the guy with a .338 Lapua Mag which drops the deer in its tracks and they all celebrate as though it's some sort of an accomplishment. 

I want to see average Joe's out there trying to bowhunt public land sitting in a stand miserable in January because they still have a tag and it's getting late.  Basically i want to see something realistic and sporting. I'm tired of long-range target shooting with live deer as the targets. 

It seems as though bad shot choice has become an increasingly common occurance. 1/4 in is not a good idea! There are a few good shows that I enjoy however, I catch my self watching the bad ones too. Its kinda like a train wreck that you just can't stop watching. And Doc you are right, why do they celebrate a crappy shot? I usually swear before the arrow gets there if I know its bad and get a terrible sick felling after but not some of these guys. I remeber one show, a woman country star gut shot a big one, they searched half assed, gave up and low and behold the guide found it weeks later after it had baddly decomposed and been snacked on by critters. They then cut to the star smiling and happy that they had found her buck. Like it was a perfect shot and something to be proud of.  ::)

I watch all types of hunting and fishing shows, but the one that bothers me the most is keith warren's show.  If it is not fenced he wont hunt it.  Thats what it seems like to me.  Dont get me wrong I have shot boar in a high fenced 1000 acre ranch here in cali with a bow.  Instead of buying my pork chops at the store, I killed it, cut it and then ate it.  I dont consider that a trophy of mine nor do I consider it hunting, even though it took 12 hours to get close to one.  But it did taste really good.  For boar meat I would do it again. and its cheap 350 dollars.

I can sit and watch almost any hunting show, but when it comes to those Texas box-blind shows, I turn them off immediately. They can do whatever they want to do, but I don't have to watch it. It kind of reminds me of some kind of slaughterhouse technique. I'm not sure I can even classify it as "hunting". It is definitely shooting and not a whole lot more. I guess I don't have much of a problem with the style of blind, but that semi domesticated herd of deer that they have baited in and milling around the like cattle, really doesn't remind me much of any kind of hunting that I want to be associated with.

Doc

My point exactly Doc.  And the worst part is that these people seem to represent all other hunters in the eyes of John Q. Public.  It gives the anti's more ammunition to portray us as a bunch of drunk blood thirsty rednecks who get off on killing.  I'm of the opinion that a true hunter takes more pleasure in the hunt than he does in the kill. Not so for these guys.

I hate the shows wher the guy is hunting in the afternoon . He shoots , high fives the camera man and they talk about what a great hit that was put on the deer . When they recover the deer , it's dark . Great hit ? What happened .

p.s. --- I cannot stand Jackie Bushwacker !

Yeah really, they wait hours before going and getting the deer... And its always so dramatic.

Ha-ha..... with some of the lousy shots I have seen them make and some of the shallow arrow penetrations, it's a wonder they find them at all. They probably have some tracking dogs that they have to call in to find their deer. That's most likely what takes them so long. Or maybe they have to go get the guide to secretly use his rifle to finish them off.

Doc

I hate the shows wher the guy is hunting in the afternoon . He shoots , high fives the camera man and they talk about what a great hit that was put on the deer . When they recover the deer , it's dark . Great hit ? What happened .

p.s. --- I cannot stand Jackie Bushwacker !

If they had to really go hunting like we do they sure wouldnt no what to do most of us have to cimb cimb and climb they just go out to open feils get in box blinds then pull the trigger not realy hunting not to me just populatin control