50 yards

JonathanStrange

I blieve that anyone who takes a long shot will tell you it is only under ideal circumstances. As for hunting situations, i know some great shots(jr and senior oliimpic shooters) that can out score me any day on a range . but cant hit the broadside of a deer at 20 yards. I see the same with some gun hunters even with their high priced low light scopes. You must be confidant to take a long shot both in your equipment,conditions,and ability. how do you get there? Practice!!!!!! and learning to harvest game!! How many have you have shot a good buck and will hear from someone looking at it in the back of your truck say.. i don't think i could of even got off a shot at something that big! Would of been frozen or shaking like a leaf! obviously they should not be the one trying a 50 yard or even a 35 yard shot.

Doc:

I also encourage you to visit the bowhunting harvest thread. I spent my own time, gas, and money helping another forum member who was willing to learn, in order to get his first deer. The first time I met the guy was at his property. We walked it, scouted it, and he gave me his thoughts and we made a plan together. First sit...dead deer and a great experience for everyone. Bowhunters are notorious for being greedy, private, and snobish. Keep perpetuating it by saying "i want my deer close and I have more respect for one who kills at 10 vs. 50." and I'll keep dispelling it by walking the walk and helping others.

I have absolutely no idea what the first part of your reply is all about.

It's unfortunate that you feel a need to call expressing a personal opinion to be greedy, private (whatever that is supposed to mean), and snobbish, but I stand by my assessment about bowhunting being more impressive when done at close range whether you like it or not. It's the way I feel and I won't apologize for that. Call bowhunters what ever names makes you feel good, but responsible shot selection is never greedy, private?, and snobish.

I have absolutely no idea what the first part of your reply is all about.

It's unfortunate that you feel a need to call expressing a personal opinion to be greedy, private (whatever that is supposed to mean), and snobbish, but I stand by my assessment about bowhunting being more impressive when done at close range whether you like it or not. It's the way I feel and I won't apologize for that. Call bowhunters what ever names makes you feel good, but responsible shot selection is never greedy, private?, and snobish.

Paula was right. You don't get it. Let this die, Doc.

Practice, Practice, Practice and have nothing between you and the animal. I think people on here get too caught up on a max distance. I don't bowhunt, but I do know for a fact that people out west routinely shoot mule deer (bigger than whitetails) out to 100 yards with a bow. Elk out to 70 yards. If you can make the shot and its an open shot, 50 yards should be a makeable shot for an experience bowhunter.

Knowing your ballistics is key too. I never shot past 200 yards with a rifle in 28 years of my life. I smoked a big mule deer at 330 and 440 yards last week. 2 farthest attempted shots of my life. I was breathing heavy after practically running to the spot, it was low-light, and 5,000 ft elevation. I trusted my ballistics and aimed accordingly.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Practice, Practice, Practice and have nothing between you and the animal. I think people on here get too caught up on a max distance. I don't bowhunt, but I do know for a fact that people out west routinely shoot mule deer (bigger than whitetails) out to 100 yards with a bow. Elk out to 70 yards. If you can make the shot and its an open shot, 50 yards should be a makeable shot for an experience bowhunter.

You can stop giving advice on something you know NOTHING about. You watch too much TV.............

• Like 1

You can stop giving advice on something you know NOTHING about. You watch too much TV.............

I dont watch hunting shows. Bowhunters who hunt Mule Deer and Elk must be able to make 50+ yard shots. Guys who shoot 70# + bows shoot deer 70-100 yards away and elk out past 50 yards.

I understand NY bowhunters not shooting that far in heavy woods, etc. But if you are hunting a wide open food plot, you should feel confident out well past 40 yards on a < 200lb whitetail.

Merely an FYI - Back from 2010, so I'm sure now with better technology the numbers favor my argument even more.

Here’s a hot-button topic among bowhunters. Some archers flatly condemn shots beyond 20 or 30 yards, yet official statistics from Pope and Young and other record clubs support a more practical view of shot distance on deer.

For whitetail deer entered into the P&Y record book, average shot distance is about 19 yards. Less than five percent of record book whitetails are shot beyond 40 yards.

But the story differs somewhat for the other four varieties of North American deer. For mule deer entered into the P&Y record book, average shot distance is about 35 yards, and more than one-third of record-book muleys are taken beyond 40 yards. Shot statistics for Columbia blacktail deer are almost identical. If you go after either of these species with expectations of a shot under 30 yards, you are setting yourself up for severe disappointment.

Average shot distance on P&Y Coues whitetail deer is about 25 yards, but about one-quarter of record-book bucks are shot beyond 40 yards. Average shot distance on Sitka blacktail deer is about the same as on Coues deer, but nearly half are taken between 30 and 60 yards.

The lessons here are clear — tailor your archery tackle to the varieties of deer you plan to hunt, and keep an open mind about distance. If you can practice hard and extend your sure-kill distance on an average deer’s nine-inch vital chest zone, so much the better. Every shooting situation is unique, and longer-range proficiency often bags the buck.

Read more: http://www.bowhunter...l#ixzz28vkzNcOb

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

O.K..let me get this straight

if I shoot a recurve...i should shoot only 20 yards????

if i shoot a new Hoyt...carbon arrows...mechanical broadheads...I should only shoot 20yards????

thats like saying my flintlock should only be used out to 50 yards, so my new inline T/C 50cal with a scope should only be used out to 50 yards.....ethics....or just stuck in 1950's

we went from 2x4's nailed to a tree to climbers that almost climb themself.....

Ethics comes down to NOT doing something out side of your limits

I would rather take a 50yard shot at a deer eating in a feild...before a 10 yard head on shot

Phade

good for you...you killed one hell of a buck...then you turned around and helped a fellow bowhunter put one on the ground.....that is what this sport needs

• Like 1

Good job phade. I dont condone myself to 50 yard shots, unless it is a booner. And when I say myself, yes i mean literally just myself. Other people can shoot that yardage, and thats fine. Pracitce helps. I just feel that the numerous factors at that distance works agaisnt me.

Good job phade. I dont condone myself to 50 yard shots, unless it is a booner. And when I say myself, yes i mean literally just myself. Other people can shoot that yardage, and thats fine. Pracitce helps. I just feel that the numerous factors at that distance works agaisnt me.

I hunt for trophies, and i don't have a problem with experienced hunters taking long shot, but i think this comment sucks.. If it's a booner you'll fling one and hope it lands?? Now thats selfish.
  • Like 2

I hunt for trophies, and i don't have a problem with experienced hunters taking long shot, but i think this comment sucks.. If it's a booner you'll fling one and hope it lands?? Now thats selfish.

Who said I didnt have experience? I shoot my bow every day, thousands of shots a year. I didnt say I couldnt make the 50 yard shot, I just prefer not to. but Yes if a big buck steps out, I will take the shot, because I feel I have practiced enough. Small bucks and does get a free pass. Well small bucks always get a free pass because I myself only shoot mature animals as well. I think you just misunderstood what I was saying.

Edited by tjm08803

I apologize if i mis-understood your statement or that i wasn't aware of your experience but i think you said something that was interesting. You said "i feel the numerous factors at that distance work against me." Those are your words right? You also said you don't condone the shot unless it's a booner. In other words, your against shooting 50 yrds at does, but your for shooting 50 yrds at Booners. I think you could have phrased that better and it would have saved some mis-understanding because it still sounds bad to me.. At any rate, i think i got it now. Thanks

I'm beginning to understand why gun hunters wonder why we need a special season for bowhunting. If it is becoming an accepted notion that a bow is a weapon that is effective at 50 yards and beyond, of course they have to question why we are given such a huge amount of prime time that is denied to them. Maybe technology has come to the point where it no longer makes sense to separate out bowhunting from other forms of deer hunting.

• Like 1

Man I don't really know how to give input on this & I will probably get crap on this

but here goes:

longest shot I have taken was 53 yards deer did not goes more then 60 yards before expiring

but I am very confident in a 50 yard shot. I know as some stated you need to be prepared for the worst result at that yardage but shouldn't we be ready for that everytime we think of drawing back our bows no matter the distance? with that said here is why I am confident in a 50 yard shot I shoot every day close to 365 days a year have been doing this for 6 years now I shoot min of a doz arrows each shoot (sometimes I shoot more then once a day) I shoot out to 70 yards & am consistant at 70 yards now I am not saying everyone should shoot 50 yards ( some I have seen should limit themselves to 20) there are many things to consider before taking this shot like equipment, wind, rain, temp,

angle of shot ect... I have such a passion for bow hunting I would give up my rifle if I had to I own a lot of long & hand guns but my most prized possession & am shooting it more then anything so to me I am confident I will make an ethical 50 yard shot if all conditions are right to me if not I will pass. any shot or distance should be a decision each bowhunter will need to make for themselves not others telling them they sould or should not take & yes we all have to live with that decision good or bad

Here is what keeps running through my mind when we are talking these kinds of longer shots. I know that you can control just about everything on your end of the shot. You can practice until every arrow is in a kill-zone size target. But no one can control what is happening on the deer's end of the shot. One single step at the time of release will put the arrow into the guts. I've watched deer grazing in a field. They almost never stand still. A couple of bites, and there is that predictible step or two. Even browsing in the woods, same thing. The farther the distance, the more time for that step to take place right when you trigger the arrow or just after. I realize that at any distance a deer can decide to take a step, but the consequences are a lot more pronounced at longer distances. So yes, your shot can be flawless but the longer the arrow is in the air, the less control you have over what's going on at the target end.

There is also another little thing that is a bit bothersome. At 20 yards or so, you can see just about everything between you and the deer. At 50 yards or so ..... maybe not. A branch/twig that far down range may not be quite so visible, especially in some low-light conditions. The obstruction may not even be in the direct line of sight, but the arc of the arrow may still make contact. Small point, but yet another example of how distance can change results.

I'm beginning to understand why gun hunters wonder why we need a special season for bowhunting. If it is becoming an accepted notion that a bow is a weapon that is effective at 50 yards and beyond, of course they have to question why we are given such a huge amount of prime time that is denied to them. Maybe technology has come to the point where it no longer makes sense to separate out bowhunting from other forms of deer hunting.

Hey Doc..Tons of funny stuff here in this thread (not your post but the entire thread) I'm sure is eye opening to you and others. What is your max range, if you have one on deer. I know maybe you'll stretch it a bit at times but where do you "draw the line"?

Me, approx. 23 yards is my max. I really look for the 3-5 yard shot but inside of 17-18 yards I'm most confident.

• Like 1

Here is what keeps running through my mind when we are talking these kinds of longer shots. I know that you can control just about everything on your end of the shot. You can practice until every arrow is in a kill-zone size target. But no one can control what is happening on the deer's end of the shot. One single step at the time of release will put the arrow into the guts. I've watched deer grazing in a field. They almost never stand still. A couple of bites, and there is that predictible step or two. Even browsing in the woods, same thing. The farther the distance, the more time for that step to take place right when you trigger the arrow or just after. I realize that at any distance a deer can decide to take a step, but the consequences are a lot more pronounced at longer distances. So yes, your shot can be flawless but the longer the arrow is in the air, the less control you have over what's going on at the target end.

There is also another little thing that is a bit bothersome. At 20 yards or so, you can see just about everything between you and the deer. At 50 yards or so ..... maybe not. A branch/twig that far down range may not be quite so visible, especially in some low-light conditions. The obstruction may not even be in the direct line of sight, but the arc of the arrow may still make contact. Small point, but yet another example of how distance can change results.

We'll obviously have to agree to disagree on the shot distance issue. But, I totally disagree on the fact that deer almost never stand still. That's patently false as a blanket statement. I've seen deer stay stiff as a board up to 15+ minutes standing. Especially mature bucks and does. My 2010 buck was idle standing still for 10 minutes before I was able to shoot him.

On the other topic, why don't you use your pins to see if the arc of the arrow will clear the obstruction? Pretty easy and effective.

Example:

If I range him at 40 and there is something about half way between us I can check my 20 pin and if it's clear the arrow will be good.

Surprised you've never heard of this.

Edited by phade

We'll obviously have to agree to disagree on the shot distance issue. But, I totally disagree on the fact that deer almost never stand still. That's patently false as a blanket statement. I've see deer stay stiff as a board to 15+ minutes standing. Especially mature bucks and does.

On the other topic, why don't you use your pins to see if the arc of the arrow will clear the obstruction? Pretty easy and effective.

Example:

If I range him at 40 and there is something about half way between us I can check my 20 pin and if it's clear the arrow will be good.

Surprised you've never heard of this.

No, I was talking about limbs/twigs that are not visible at the longer distances, particularly in compromised light.

Hey Doc..Tons of funny stuff here in this thread (not your post but the entire thread) I'm sure is eye opening to you and others. What is your max range, if you have one on deer. I know maybe you'll stretch it a bit at times but where do you "draw the line"?

Me, approx. 23 yards is my max. I really look for the 3-5 yard shot but inside of 17-18 yards I'm most confident.

I practice out to 40 yards, but all my stands are set up for 25 yards max. The 40 yard practice is to gain confidence at 25. It also points out any form or equipment problems. However in hunting conditions, most deer that I have taken have been around the 15 yard range, with one taken at 5 yards.