How often do you sight in your slug gun ?

I didn't go back through this thread to see if I may have missed any, but were there any replies from anyone who regularly target practices with their slug-gun ...... lol. I think the consensus was that it gets pulled out just before season and a few shots are fired to ensure that nothing has moved. I think anything more would require periodic surgical shoulder replacements every few years  ;D

Honest to gosh, I hate to be such a big baby, but that darn 12 guage hurts. Funny thing is that when I'm shooting at a deer I never have felt any recoil at all. But lay that sucker on a bench and shoot more than 5 shots and I'll guarantee a black and blue spot on my shoulder. :-[  That doesn't make a guy want to target practice with the dang thing. That's one of the primary reasons that I was hoping that Ontario County would get that rifle bill passed. I was already picturing a nice .243 that I could shoot all day without getting beat up. Oh well maybe next year.

Doc

yeah, actually I do shoot some pretty old ammo, but whatever I check the shotgun out with, thats the same batch that I hunt with, so I feel pretty secure. It is stored in a pretty good environment so there is no deterioration.

Also, for small game I am still using shotshells that I reloaded about 20+ years ago, and have never had a problem.

Did I ever mention that I am one cheap son-of-a-gun?

Same here Doc...I'll be hunting with the same crap I have been using for the last 10 or so years.

The ammo is still good, and the weapon is perfect. About the only new bit of equipment this year is a pair of camo denim pants and the edge I have on my Buck knife.

8)

• 1 month later...

Used to shoot it every year before season opened (pretty much like everyone else) just to make sure everything was working properly, but I haven't shot a single slug since they opened up the rest of Oneida County to rifle.

My original barrel on my Mossberg 500 was bent so I put a new factory rifled barrel on it that's ported.  It did seem to help keep it from jumping as much but it is awful loud.

Don't really like the 12 gauge w/slugs or turkey loads because of the recoil, but the funny thing is that I can shoot my .450 Marlin all day and it doesn't bother me.  Not off the bench though; I can only stand 8 or 10 like that.

I always double check mine before the season starts. I feel I owe it to the animals I hunt to ensure my gear is properly working.  The last thing I want is to wound the animal unnecessarily.  No matter how confident I am that my gun is dialed in, it just makes good sense to confirm.

In fact, I sighted in mine just yesterday.  It helps instill confidence knowing my shotgun is placing a 3-shot ragged hole 1" high at 50 yards.  I did have to make some minor tweaks to get it back on target. 

I always double check mine before the season starts. I feel I owe it to the animals I hunt to ensure my gear is properly working.  The last thing I want is to wound the animal unnecessarily.  No matter how confident I am that my gun is dialed in, it just makes good sense to confirm.

In fact, I sighted in mine just yesterday.  It helps instill confidence knowing my shotgun is placing a 3-shot ragged hole 1" high at 50 yards.  I did have to make some minor tweaks to get it back on target. 

Wouldn't it be an ugly situation to miss the buck of a lifetime and then find out that the sights had inadvertantly been bumped. I would have a hard time forgiving myself .... lol.

Doc