Deer hunting with pistols

builtright716

Ruger Superblackhawk .44mag with 7" barrel and 2x Leupold scope. I've got about a dozen deer under my belt with it over the last 20yrs. It's a pleasure to carry but this year I'm considering adding some distance and might try an Encore. The .44 is good out to 100yds(my comfort range is 75' and under) so the Encore with a variable scope should get me out to 150yds comfortably.  I know it would be capable of longer but the deer woods don't usually allow longer shots. Considering 7m-08 but not sure yet.     

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

G-man, I had a similar expeirience with 44 mag jhp. My new 41mag shoots these 210gr jhp's really nice but I have time to see how hard casts will shoot out of the short barrel. Thanks for the information and the reason/motivation to have to go to the range more.

Redhawk in 44 Mag w/ a 2X Leupold.  I've gotten two over the years with it.  Sometimes I carry it, sometimes a long gun.  Depends on my mood, how I feel like hunting.  I use a 210 gr Sierra JHC over H110.

Have a 357 w/ irons that I carry less and haven't had a shot with yet.

• 6 months later...

Last year was my first year hunting with a pistol. It's a 629 performance center. I used 240 grain Hornady XTP on top of 23 grains of IMR4227. The sight it a trijicon RMR. Really helps out the old man eyes and works real well in low light. 42 yard shot and he didn't go far. I really like not carrying a 8 or 9 pound rifle and having my hands free.post-724-0-54694500-1318449629_thumb.jpg

I hunted with my Contender 7-30 waters one season and shot a doe at 55 yards . Killed her with a fireform load .

Nice! I've wanted one of those since I was a kid. I'm not even sure why; I guess the 7-30 Waters just always struck me as cool.

I have a good load worked up for my S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt. I hope to get a crack at one this year. I missed a buck a few years ago with my Blackhawk .357 and ended up getting him three days later with my .30-06.

Edited by covert

• 3 weeks later...