Button Bucks

BigMike

I am a Meat Hunter and that’s the honest truth! I started to hunt for the purpose of meat. The only money I have spent in the years I have hunted was for my boots 2yrs ago and my tree stand this year. Trail camera last year. I spend $39 for my license every year. Clothes and gun was given too me. Takes me 5 min now to get to my spot so if I do get a deer it’s not too expensive for me and if it was that’s my business. G&RC, the one family my husband knows that has an apple farm does not just give away the deer or meat. Because I pay for my license with my money I will shoot what ever is legal no matter the size. This is me being honest.

hows that Doc?

Edited by paula

I am a Meat Hunter and that’s the honest truth! I started to hunt for the purpose of meat. The only money I have spent in the years I have hunted was for my boots 2yrs ago and my tree stand this year. Trail camera last year. I spend $39 for my license every year. Clothes and gun was given too me. Takes me 5 min now to get to my spot so if I do get a deer it’s not too expensive for me and if it was that’s my business. G&RC, the one family my husband knows that has an apple farm does not just give away the deer or meat. Because I pay for my license with my money I will shoot what ever is legal no matter the size. This is me being honest.

hows that Doc?

Lol ..... somehow I figured that post would be touching a few nerves. But that's ok, there's one thing that no one can argue with, and it is the line: "We all have our reasons to do what we do and no one is wrong as they are being legal and ethical its just a matter of how passionate you are". Sounds like you two agree on more than you think.

hows that Doc?

you go girl. About time someone was honest about it. I like it.

Lol ..... somehow I figured that post would be touching a few nerves. But that's ok, there's one thing that no one can argue with, and it is the line: "We all have our reasons to do what we do and no one is wrong as they are being legal and ethical its just a matter of how passionate you are". Sounds like you two agree on more than you think.

Its not that it touched a nerve, its that i don't want to be lumped in his thoughts when i am being honest.

BUBBA . . . :biggrin:

Its not that it touched a nerve, its that i don't want to be lumped in his thoughts when i am being honest.

Well, whatever .... That sort of thing is between the two of you. I just appreciated someone who dropped all the different buzz-words and labels and such and simply told it like it is for a change. Everybody thinks they have to have some kind of label. I don't want to be speaking for him, but basically what I got from his message was "Just hunt, and don't worry about what category you fit into and how you differ from other hunters". Sounds like some good advice to me. Hopefully we really do have more in common than what divides us inspite of how we like to dwell on the differences in these forums.

• Like 1

A few of you are playing the numbers game lets look at some numbers

5 deer tags so harvesting 5 deer we will say a min of 6 hours per deer hunting if you are extreamely lucky thats 30 hours. Now to save $$ you process yourself. I know it takes me longer but remember just roast and steaks no burger because that cost money. so 4 hours a deer x5 2o more hours for a total of 50 hours. Whats 50 hours or your life worth? because I know I can do overtime and buy more deer meat than all of us would eat in a year. Hell thats a full week even working at McDonalds you would make $600. You don't do it for "meat" you do it because you like hunting and meat is an added benefit. DOC you are correct. I didn't label any one a "meat" hunter or a "trophy" hunter those are labels they gave themselves. My point was that we can argue all we want for a difference in what hunting style we choose, stand/ground blind, bow/gun, meat/horn but we all out there doing the same thing. Lets just not lie about why we choose our methods we aren't politicians. I have enough of that smoke being blown up my a$$ by these politcal adds on TV!

yeah but that requires shipping and what not? i also want it to go to a new hunter or young hunter, not just someone looking to upgrade. not sure there's a solution.

Charge for shipping, thats what we do with the harnesses. Maybe put a list together and post it and if anyone on here knows a new hunter that could use it. I dunno. Just some ideas.

• Like 1

Paula, you need a trail cam to pic of all those btn bucks before the lose their spots? :) Sorry I couldnt resist. At least I know you have a sense of humor. I wish I could say I didn't spend much but between my PA and NY license I spent over $300. Equipment I'm squared away but I'm burning 20 vacation days freezing my toes off sitting in the woods. I did my a new hunting knife this season and its perfect. I highly recommend this knife.

A few of you are playing the numbers game lets look at some numbers

5 deer tags so harvesting 5 deer we will say a min of 6 hours per deer hunting if you are extreamely lucky thats 30 hours. Now to save $$ you process yourself. I know it takes me longer but remember just roast and steaks no burger because that cost money. so 4 hours a deer x5 2o more hours for a total of 50 hours. Whats 50 hours or your life worth? because I know I can do overtime and buy more deer meat than all of us would eat in a year. Hell thats a full week even working at McDonalds you would make $600. You don't do it for "meat" you do it because you like hunting and meat is an added benefit. DOC you are correct. I didn't label any one a "meat" hunter or a "trophy" hunter those are labels they gave themselves. My point was that we can argue all we want for a difference in what hunting style we choose, stand/ground blind, bow/gun, meat/horn but we all out there doing the same thing. Lets just not lie about why we choose our methods we aren't politicians. I have enough of that smoke being blown up my a$$ by these politcal adds on TV!

why do you care what people spend on hunting or how much time they spend?

why do you care what people spend on hunting or how much time they spend?

I don't care but the one other poster I have to go back and see who was saying like how in expensive is and giving number so was just debating that. I could careless how any ones spending time.. I'm currently wasting my paying bills and watching little einsteins and drink cold coffee

Paula, you need a trail cam to pic of all those btn bucks before the lose their spots? :) Sorry I couldnt resist. At least I know you have a sense of humor. I wish I could say I didn't spend much but between my PA and NY license I spent over $300. Equipment I'm squared away but I'm burning 20 vacation days freezing my toes off sitting in the woods. I did my a new hunting knife this season and its perfect. I highly recommend this knife.

yes camera was for the buck hanging around the house that i could never have shot. then it was for my chickens. now i have it where i hunt. i have said it is more entertainment then anything. i see a few bucks on it but they are only there at night. not sure i have learned anything about where i hunt because of it.

The time spent in the woods vs working doesn't always apply. I'm salary. Whether I take vacation or hunt on the weekends, i cant be working instead. But I see your point.

But I hope most of us agree that you shouldn't lie about what you are. I know some poor hunters who claim to be meat hunters, but honestly they tell me they never see big deer; so is it a cop-out? I dont know. I just dont believe any of you "meat hunters" would pass a 150 lb. wall hanging 8 point for a 160 lb. breeder doe.

• Like 1

The time spent in the woods vs working doesn't always apply. I'm salary. Whether I take vacation or hunt on the weekends, i cant be working instead. But I see your point.

But I hope most of us agree that you shouldn't lie about what you are. I know some poor hunters who claim to be meat hunters, but honestly they tell me they never see big deer; so is it a cop-out? I dont know. I just dont believe any of you "meat hunters" would pass a 150 lb. wall hanging 8 point for a 160 lb. breeder doe.

I think your getting a little overboard. I dont think anyone on here would, but, again, some people dont get the luxury of seeing those 8 points. They take what they can get. Thats perfectly fine in my opinion.

I think your getting a little overboard. I dont think anyone on here would, but, again, some people dont get the luxury of seeing those 8 points. They take what they can get. Thats perfectly fine in my opinion.

I raise you Bubba

see I like big deer too, but what they have on their heads means nothing to me. What they have on their haunches and ribs means much more. I would pass on a 160 pound 10 for a 180 pound 6 point anytime. That is because I do like the meat and the bone on their head is secondary to me.

:) :)

For example.... If i passed on that 5 point, there is a 50/50 chance i would have not seen another buck.(happened to me quite a few times.) I did him and haw at it, but i took it. It has a rack, it has meat, and i was happy. So I guess im a meathorn hunter. (yes, one word)

passed on nice 6s or small 8s plenty of times only to get a doe or smaller deer in the end. that's the great thing about hunting as a sport.

Edited by Belo

I bet there's quite a few people who shoot deer for food and find the actual hunting aspect an inconvenience, they could care less about becoming better hunter's and the deer they take is usually the first one that show's up. I know more than one farmer who's hunting consist's of shooting the deer that show's up while he's working.

I bet there's quite a few people who shoot deer for food and find the actual hunting aspect an inconvenience, they could care less about becoming better hunter's and the deer they take is usually the first one that show's up. I know more than one farmer who's hunting consist's of shooting the deer that show's up while he's working.

I know farmers like that too. you have a very good point.

but there is a difference between saying I shoot the first deer for the meat and saying if I do not shoot that first deer, I will starve. See almost everyone shoot deer for the meat with the exception of the elites who say they want the racks fro big bragging rights. As I said the person who says they hunt for meat to survive, I find a bit of a stretch, and basically an excuse to shoot anything that moves. Maybe shut off the internet and buy food.

I love time away from work and technology and also the taste of venison, I hunt mostly because I love the time outdoors, secondly for meat, I will not go hungry if I don't make a harvest. Rack is a bonus not the goal. Would I like to take the 10pt that I've been seeing, sure... but then I'll have to pay to get him mounted and his meat will not be as tasty as a doe... I'd really rather have a nice fat doe in front of me today, but again... would not pass the buck should he appear. If neither shows... hey at least I'm in the peace and quiet and not dealing with peoples problems at work.

• Like 1

I love time away from work and technology and also the taste of venison, I hunt mostly because I love the time outdoors, secondly for meat, I will not go hungry if I don't make a harvest. Rack is a bonus not the goal. Would I like to take the 10pt that I've been seeing, sure... but then I'll have to pay to get him mounted and his meat will not be as tasty as a doe... I'd really rather have a nice fat doe in front of me today, but again... would not pass the buck should he appear. If neither shows... hey at least I'm in the peace and quiet and not dealing with peoples problems at work.

my thoughts as well. for me it's just getting in the woods. i love the challenge, i love going after the big bucks and i love the taste of venison.