Button Bucks

BigMike

I try not to kill any fawns,however I would be lying if I said I have not.I killed a few button bucks because I wanted venison and had none(key word WANTED).I killed some button bucks and regretted it and others I didn't.I have seen button bucks that I couldn't believe were only 6 months old they were so big and others were tiny.I also agree that button bucks are just not mature enough to be afraid of much so they are vulnerable.I would PERSONALLY prefer a big bodied deer but I admit the young ones were delicious just like veal.I leave the choice up to the hunter because around where I live a lot of deer and fawns get whacked by cars and that is a complete waste most of the time.I believe a hunter will evolve and decide for themselves if a deer is "too small" or not.

buttons are the dumbest deer in the woods. that's why so many get killed. On the other hand, if you can fool a mature doe you're doing it right.

Not having any meat and not seeing any does gets you a pass in my book as well. But i'd argue you shouldn't shoot a button on opening day either unless it's your only hunt.

I did not read this whole thread,but I say good job ! My first bow kill was also a button back in '88 my first year bow hunting and one of my favorite hunts .

not many here will argue a young or new hunter (especially with archery) should pass on any deer. When you're new to hunting it should always be "if it's brown, it's down"

Edited by Belo

Funny that the thread started as a question about legality of an antler less deer and we gone 8 pages. Lol. Total thread jacking.

Eruss, why does your wife want you to shoot fawns?

Because we have to crockpot or sausage the big boys to get them tender and to taste good and even then they are a little gamie. The last 4 yrs Ive killed a nice 3.5 during gun and they have all been tough as nails. She says I cant kill another one just the doe and preferably fawns since they are so tender. :biggrin:

Really? My dad got a 3.5 this year and it was the best tenderloin! i have ever had! Maybe its the whole rut / time of year and or they are burning to much fat or something....

a prerut buck is sooo much nicer tasting. I shot a 150lb 5 point on 10/22 and he's leaps and bounds better tasting than the 160lb 9 i shot on thanksgiving last year.

a prerut buck is sooo much nicer tasting. I shot a 150lb 5 point on 10/22 and he's leaps and bounds better tasting than the 160lb 9 i shot on thanksgiving last year.

I don't think age or time of year matter as much as diet. I've had two does within a week part roughly same age/size and one had a tangy taste. By the way the curse of the btn buck continues I saw another one last night

• 3 months later...

not many here will argue a young or new hunter (especially with archery) should pass on any deer. When you're new to hunting it should always be "if it's brown, it's down"

+100

there is no way you would have EVER convinced me to pass on ANY deer when i first started.... if it was legal it was dead period

• Like 1