to the trespassers in volney.

arrow nocker

500 dollars for a 30 acre boundary. Wholly cheap. That is a crazy price. I am a land surveyor and if it is a friend and just an acre or so easy survey that would be what I would charge. Most company's are charging 800-1200 for a house survey.

maybe it was more. i know my mom wasn't extremely happy about it.

My wife and I bought 17 acres last summer. While we were marking the boundaries out with GPS I noticed a neighbors stand 10yds on our side. Few weeks later we were hanging the posted signs and the neighbor comes through the woods all torqued up. I politley explained to him that the stand was on our land and asked him to move it. It's still there 1.5 years later. I'll give it until this summer and it's getting cut down.

This is exactly what I mean. You cant be nice after the first warning. Cut it down now. You told him a long time ago and he dose not care. Do it now!!!! Pisses me off!!! ( not you the trespasser)

I call logger and asked how did you determine the line...compass Why that and not GPS?

Because unless you have a 10,000 unite they can be way off....

this is the same thing the surveyor said...well the logger was way off on front of line and pretty close on the rest...middle to back...

So you guys with GPS...please take note....they are not legal survey...just saying

I understand the GPS point, but have you ever seen 5 grown ass men trying to get a straight line on two pins 1,000 feet apart? 'Henry, 5 steps to your left, Jake, three to your right, NO HENRY YOUR OTHER LEFT'. It's freakin hiliarious. We gave up after an hour of that crap. My 15 month old daughter could draw a straighter line. Out the GPS came. It can get me to my drivers door handle on my truck after a 5 hour hike.

Anyhow, I think I'll make a friendly wager with the neighbor. I'll get the one property line surveyed and if his stand is on my side, I keep it. If I could find a $500 survey steal I would have done it yesterday.

Edited by ser20

The seller is not responsible for the survey. The BUYER is !!

I gave up my hunting lease due to trespassers, and poachers.

Now I hunt state land, and I have 1000 acres to myself. There is one other guy out there on opening day, and then he is not around the rest of the season.

I'm not posting anything. not worried about trespassing. It's big woods. But the deer are out there.

By the way, speaking of unwanted trespassers, I thought I would pass along a little trick that I once used. I had an old red hunting jacket that finally started to fall apart from old age. I hung it from a sapling just deep enough into my property line so that the red could be seen from my posted line but not close enough so anyone could tell that there was nobody in it. I remember that there were a few hunter tracks in the snow that approached that area on my side of the posted line and then made a hard turn toward the other side when they spotted that blob of red. It was pretty funny because you could see that their stride increased as they took off for the other side of the line. It worked like a charm, and after a couple of seasons, I didn't have any problems with guys sneaking over onto my land. It was kind of a scarecrow for trespassers. They began to figure that there was always some pesky landowner always hunting and/or patrolling that land. Anything red or orange will work. The other good news is that as the thing hung out there in the woods, the deer eventually ignored it and used to walk right by it.

I've experienced something recently that I thought was intresting. People started posting property that wasn't theres and they didnt have rights to and began to act like it was theirs. Now what I thought was funny is when I was confronted I was actually on my property that they were trespassing on telling me I had no right to be there. DEC was notified

Guns and Religion....

A number of years back, when I was a coon hunter on L.I. I hunted a good patch of land pretty often, and always wanted to, but never did ,hunt the posted property on the other side of the road..I later found out that the land was posted by hunters with no rights to the land, it was just to keep it for themselves.They supposedly did it at other spots too.

A year, or so later, not too far from there, I had a spot to fish where i knew the landowner and had permission to fish. One day, while fishing, I was confronted by 2 fishermen who rather strongly told me to leave because I was trespassing . They told me that the guy who gave me permission sold the land.. I advised them that I HAD permission and that the name on the Posted Sign was the guy who gave me permission and wasn't leaving and that they should call a cop...I stayed and kept fishing and no cops came...We did the stare down thing a bunch of times, but that's as far as it went

I later told a hunting buddy of mine, who hunted out that away, about the incidents and he said he had heard about hunters illegally posting land.

By the way, speaking of unwanted trespassers, I thought I would pass along a little trick that I once used. I had an old red hunting jacket that finally started to fall apart from old age. I hung it from a sapling just deep enough into my property line so that the red could be seen from my posted line but not close enough so anyone could tell that there was nobody in it. I remember that there were a few hunter tracks in the snow that approached that area on my side of the posted line and then made a hard turn toward the other side when they spotted that blob of red. It was pretty funny because you could see that their stride increased as they took off for the other side of the line. It worked like a charm, and after a couple of seasons, I didn't have any problems with guys sneaking over onto my land. It was kind of a scarecrow for trespassers. They began to figure that there was always some pesky landowner always hunting and/or patrolling that land. Anything red or orange will work. The other good news is that as the thing hung out there in the woods, the deer eventually ignored it and used to walk right by it.

Hahaha...... done you one better Doc...I use to take an old orange cover all set...stuff it full of milk jugs for support and tie it is a stand I wasn't going to use...go out after dark the night before....then went and got refrig boxes....bought orange paint....cut out a life size form rolled it with the paint....sprayed blk camo on it and tacked it to a thin 2x1/2 ...tied those in the stands.and to trees in the woods....

lol..one day I forgot about one ...came around a corner and it scared the crap out of me...no deer that afternoon...I was laughing so hard....

Once the road hunters start puttering by the field I hunt over at my fathers place, I put a blaze vest in my stand so it looks like someone is in it. There have been times I was in all camo during gun season, in my stand, and had guys stop their trucks, get out, get their gun and start walking into the field or brush. They ran pretty fast once I yelled "HEY! Come here!". We havent had that issue since I started leaving the vest in the stand.

need a mechanical hand on that thing that waves up and down like every 5 mins or so.that way if some one is looking at it from a distance thinking "is that a fake person"then it waves at them and they take off.LOL.And the deer get used to it moving so when you move on watch they don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent 3 mornings last week wasting time chasing tresspassers off our land. One guy I walked off the property and came back an hour later and he was there again. After several obsecenety laced comments and telling him the DEC was getting his back tag number he high tailed it off the property. One guy I came up on jumped up and ran off the property. I spent more time chasing other hunters than chasing deer.