Property lines and shooting game......

First-light

Doc, I agree that people have a right to keep people from hunting or 4 wheeling or whatever on their land, but to deny recovery of an animal that was clearly shot on adjoining property (not on the line) is just plain being a disrespectful a-hole.

I'm not sure just what you are referring to. I think I already said that anyone who comes to the house requesting permission to retrieve a wounded deer, will get permission and probably the pleasure of my company as he looks for it.

However, don't think that that excuse hasn't been tried by someone caught trespassing. The only problem is that when asked to show me the blood, they don't seem to be able to ..... lol. I think over all these years, I have seen it all.

The reason that I now try to accompany them in their search is a little trick that was tried on me where a guy asked permission to track a wounded deer, and a few hours later when I finally had time to go up the hill I found him all hunkered down in the middle of my property on stand (no blood trail anywhere around).

So yes, on occasion a landowner will seem a bit unreasonable. However, most of the time and perhaps even all of the time, there are some pretty good reasons and some ugly bad experiences behind that attitude.

Doc

Look a few posts up lol.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orion ...really perfect ...let me tell you about that...lets see nearly shot 3x's on my own property....by the way hundreds of feet from line....Our daughter her first time out nearly shot...law enforcement not doing any thing to help...me letting them know these guys would shoot and kill someone one day...three years later they did!

Then you have being nearly shot out of a 16ft tree stand 20 min before season was to open...Oh lets not forget the being asked who the hell I though I was in the middle of my own land...hey how about the guy that told me to go f myself because he was hunting 50 ft off our chicken coop

Oh how about at 8pm ..my dogs start barking so I go down our path behind the house...no flash light in the dark to find 4 camo glad guys running a round...PS all my house lights were on...imagine there surprise..one took off....

Hey I live in a perfect world...Not ...but I'm happy for some of you that live in Utopia...really I am

What it comes down to is if you don't own the property don't go on it.  If it is not posted and you stumble across the line understandable if it is posted stay out.  You guys have said you tried to contact the owner and he wouldn't let you on, so you DON'T hunt near that property line.  Yes deer can run a long ways and might cross that bad line.  Then I might agree with the whole go over and get it and don't ask.  I bet if you didn't wait till the day of something happening you might get a better response.  Try asking mid year.  If there are numbers on the posted signs they tend to be there so you can contact that property owner if something goes down.

These guys tend to have the experience of people being rude and obnoxious with total diregard for them and there property.  That is why they are so harsh.  Lets face it people don't care guys want to use the land then don't take care of it.  It is great walking on your property to find garbage that someone left there for you to clean up.

Lets see if you pay for your own house, condo, apartment and you come home to find some guy in there and he says oh sorry I got lost or my dog ran through here do you say alright well let me help you out or find your dog for I doubt it you are getting the police there asap. This example might be on a different scale but it is the same princple.

Lets see if you pay for your own house, condo, apartment and you come home to find some guy in there and he says oh sorry I got lost or my dog ran through here do you say alright well let me help you out or find your dog for I doubt it you are getting the police there asap. This example might be on a different scale but it is the same princple.

That is what is so amazing. An awful lot of people fail to look at trespassing in this way. They seem to have two sets of standards when it comes to property ownership, and just because the property is rural they feel that the property owner should have no rights. Well, as you pointed out, if they were the recipients of some of this indifference toward property owner's rights, the tune would be a whole lot different. It's funny that people in the city and suburbs don't even have to post their property to have the expectation of privacy and no trespassing and yet the situation is completely different once you enter rural lands.

Unfortunately, some people have the attitude of, what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too

And I might add that that usually is the reason that a lot of the posted signs have been put up in the first place. I don't know a single landowner who puts up posted signs because he needs something to do and because he has a bunch of money burning a hole in his pocket. Most of those signs have gone up as a response to trespasser abuse.

I am so glad I live in the north where people get along and respect each others property. Oh yeah we dont shoot at each other either. Anyone want to come up and see how relaxing hunting can be?  You can be my pesonal guest. My neighbors and I have a mutual agreement for recovery. I never thought to take a tape and measure how close to the line they were when they shot.

I dot get where you guys think it is so cold here.  I have taken deer in late ml in mid december and have it be 60 out.  it is no colder here than there in december.  Hell the swamp doesnt even freeze over until late august.  And where I hunt it is quite thick.  My point was more toward the whole attitude thing.

I am so glad I live in the north where people get along and respect each others property. Oh yeah we dont shoot at each other either. Anyone want to come up and see how relaxing hunting can be?  You can be my pesonal guest. My neighbors and I have a mutual agreement for recovery. I never thought to take a tape and measure how close to the line they were when they shot.

Thank you for the rational attitude and graciousness! (I am serious)

I don't have a problem with me neighbors we hunt each others property in fact I've shot 15 bucks from a stand I have on my neighbors property. I must be honest if I was hunting and came across ole mossy horns I would most likely shoot it. Unless it was near a house or some other unsafe area. As far as rules there are rules such as one neighbor has placed antler restrictions. I follow the rules the landowner has for there property. I figure theyr'e paying the taxes and if I want to hunt their property I have to follow the rules. I don't post my property and the only rule i have is stay away from the house.

Do you have rules with your neighbors? No, 10 yard, 30 yard, 50 yard, you see'em shoot'em?

It's never been a problem for me but you never know when "old mossy horns" is 30 yards on you neighbors property, what to do!!!!

So the guy that bought the open field next to us is on the line to our woods ...I hear the chain saw...go out what are you doing...putting up tree stands...shows me one 100yrs off the line on edge of the gully that runs the hill...OK...then he starts walking up the property line and says my wife stand will be here...he points into my woods and says the deer cross here....I mean in line and 2ft of to the lft of my posted sign...You do know I have a stand right there...150 ft off the line in my woods...clearly visble ...ya... and one up there..another 150ft away in my land that doesnt boarder him...yep ....Well I say.... I see you will need my cell number ...It's washed off the sign ...he looks at me like I have 2 heads...I said sorry but NO one comes on our land with out my permission...and relay the horror stories of ppl shooting at us and what not...so he takes the # ...then tells me he just trespassed on the guy next door...HE just posted against...  to walk up and check on another guys alfalfa field!! >;) ....Goes on to tell me he could have bought more of the land but didn't need any more woods...apparently not!.....they plan on hunting ours!...I let Mr B know and he flips...he knows them...says they'll shoot and drag and I should have laid the hammer down...I wanted to give benefit of doubt but really!?...My fire wood guy and I will be cutting that wood lot this fall...seeing all the ash we cut is quarantined....We'll clear an area for me to put a bigger one of these up this late winter spring

I have to every season.on 3 other lines....but pretty sure by the end of two weeks...the deer won't be traveling the same route any more :) ...              the thing I like about the new blinds...I use limousine tint on the windows...I can see out ...but no one can see in.....

I have my stands set up so that I can be quite a ways away from the line ... I'm difficualt to see but I can watch the line...I also have ground blinds...I can see and hear...so at any shot...and you would be surprised how much noise a bow releasing and arrow or hitting a deer actually makes  at a distance...I'll be there....I have absolutely no problem having some one arrested...I  had family members arrested so whats some stranger to me?

Because the DEC has told me they want proof of who actually shot the gun that nearly hit me ...even though they have seen the shot trees next to where I was...including a dogwood that was cut in half when I was in the tree stand...My family bought me a really good digital cannon with a fine zoom lens...I also purchased a good zoom bino camera and I'm putting up the game cams this week....normally it's just family that hunts but this year I have a couple of guys and a son that will hunt the other areas that I can't and we'll just switch days...this guy is retired and beef farms...so I'm sure he figures he has free range...one of my other neighbors will have their bow hunters set up as well....they watch that area during gun because they listen to the local radio talk..couple of years ago ppl we've had problems with lined up and let loose in our woods...I was in a stand down hill 1300 ft away an sat there listening to the slugs whistle and zap through the trees to my rt...he ..was was in their lane way and saw the three guys...she was listening as they radioed others in their group laughing " I wonder if she was in her stand? Ha Ha ha....then they took off...the neighbor went to check ..to see if I was alive... >:)

Your right...and setting up in front of your neighbors stands and in direct line with their posted signs isn't friendly....neither is cruising other ppls property...posted or not...still illegal without permission in NY... looking for deer signs......Shooting into anothers land that you KNOW is occupied is simply Reckless Endangerment and I will go for those type of charges...ppl have a right to be safe on their own lands

That is a real nice stand Growalot. Unfortunatly, I have to make all of my buddies remove all stands when we are not hunting. I don't want tresspasers using them when I am not around. Stands left in the woods give tresspasers clues to the better areas to hunt. Too bad that I have to do that on my own land!

Your right...and setting up in front of your neighbors stands and in direct line with their posted signs isn't friendly....neither is cruising other ppls property...posted or not...still illegal without permission in NY... looking for deer signs......Shooting into anothers land that you KNOW is occupied is simply Reckless Endangerment and I will go for those type of charges...ppl have a right to be safe on their own lands

Touchy much?

Yes I can completely understand the subject getting a bit "touchy". Until you have actually experienced the frustration of people disrespecting property ownership, it is a situation that those that don't own land cannot seem to understand. Trespassers can be the most arrogant, people capable of creating damage and inconvenience and unsafe situations like you really have to experience to appreciate. I have had all kinds of these experiences that I have described numerous times here and they have involved neighbors and strangers and even past aquaintances that somehow took old invites as permission to use the property any time and any way they please, bringing along as many people as they want without a word to me.

I will say that just about every posted property has some story of past abuse behind it. 

Doc