Property lines and shooting game......

First-light

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One neighbor I'm close friends with, I hunt near our shared property line.

He watches my property when I'm not there & I help him haul firewood.

Told me many times I could hunt his property, so I do.

Other neighbors are not so friendly, so all my other stands are ~100yds off PL.

Just for the reasons that were mentioned.

One neighbor has ~1 acre lawn with one tree on the PL which last year he put up a wooden treestand in it.

As soon as I saw it, I put up a posted sign on the PL in front of the strand.

Don't think he hunted there! If he asked for permission, I'd probably would have let him hunt.

Apple farmer I share a PL has stands real close to backside of my property.

Early December I found a dead buck along the side of my ATV trail, about 20 yds off PL.

Could see the tracks & blood trail in the snow from his orchard with no footprints following it.

That annoyed me that he wouldn't have contacted me to retrieve it.

Basically I'd be a jerk if I posted my property and then shot onto someone else's w/o permission.

It serves a dual purpose.  They keep an eye on the neighbors to make sure they do not tresspass and they also wait for you to chase the deer of your property to theirs. Do I think it is ethical no legal yes. As far as myself, if the deer is on the deer is over the line he or she walks away. 

Guys that hunt some property next to my son's property in Italy Valley hung a stand less than 10 yards from my son's line facing his property . My son strongly suggested that they move the stand and they did . There is over 1800 acres of state land east of the properties and was no need to infringe on one another's land . The hunters don't own the adjacent land or even help with any upkeep . They just hunt there .

My neighbor has to hunt close to the property line because his property gets real skinny and there is a 200' deep rock walled ravine that pinches him off and forces him over my way. I also understand that any deer that he sees probably will have come off my property, and anything that he shoots probably will run onto my property. I understand that and have no problem with that. 

On the other hand, I see no reason for me to push up against that side of my property to interfere with whatever he is trying to do over there, so I stay a good long distance from that property line. It's just a decent thing to do. I don't want to be in a position to mess up his hunting. I actually stay out of that area for that reason even though it is my property. That's why I really don't understand  this nonsense of stands being built right on the property lines if it's not absolutely necessary. It's just some more of this hunters in competition with other hunters for deer that I have talked about in other posts.

Doc

I think with people hunting on smaller and smaller parcels of land these issues are coming up very often.  Heck, some people hunt on such small parcels that they are close to property lines even if they set up their stands smack in the middle of their property.  How about all those suburban hunters who hunt in Westchester and Long Island?  They hunt in peoples backyards where the next property is like 30 yards away in any direction you look.

Yes, I've seen it also on the bigger properties.  It's like when they say that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.  I guess some hunters like to set up near the property lines to have a good look? :)  Nothing surprises me when it comes to hunters actually.  I have seen more than my share of shenanigans over the years.

I have hunted lines and in all cases was bow  as a favor to folks I know that were feeding their landscaping to the herd...lol . The 500' was fine but 3 made it off. I had already made contact with the closest neighbors but sometimes it amazes me how long they can stay on their feet. I couldn't take the stress thinking about a deer bleeding and keeling over next to a 3 year old in their sand box. The hunting there was a slam dunk too...just too much stress and that takes the fun out of it. Who wants to loose a deer that wanders in the wrong direction once hit.

See I have a different take on this...first I have a few stands on property lines....2 neighbors I asked if they would have a problem with it...they are built in trees...and explained I would never shoot on their land...now these are there due to a north west wind in hill country...just the best place and tree to put them ...Let me tell you I've had to pass on a few nice deer that just wouldn't cross...So be it...and on others..Well did have stands 60-70 yrds off line...and EVERY year they would pile in and line up on the line directly in front of me ...so I couldn't shoot...same guys that have nearly shot me 3x and daughter 1...by shooting into our property....so I now have 3 stands right on that line ...all facing my land...I pay my taxes and should be able to hunt my land ....now they come in and sit nearly under me...and that is fine...they shoot on to their land ..I on mine....I just happen to go in and set up an 1-2 before light and they come in  well after me...NO one had better be ..Tracking" on me because they have my cell #...plus it's on every posted sign and I have all of theirs and I will arrest...no matter who...if I don't get a call...and there better be blood off my land...I expect no less from them in this reguard........

See I have a different take on this...first I have a few stands on property lines....2 neighbors I asked if they would have a problem with it...they are built in trees...and explained I would never shoot on their land...now these are there due to a north west wind in hill country...just the best place and tree to put them ...Let me tell you I've had to pass on a few nice deer that just wouldn't cross...So be it...and on others..Well did have stands 60-70 yrds off line...and EVERY year they would pile in and line up on the line directly in front of me ...so I couldn't shoot...same guys that have nearly shot me 3x and daughter 1...by shooting into our property....so I now have 3 stands right on that line ...all facing my land...I pay my taxes and should be able to hunt my land ....now they come in and sit nearly under me...and that is fine...they shoot on to their land ..I on mine....I just happen to go in and set up an 1-2 before light and they come in  well after me...NO one had better be ..Tracking" on me because they have my cell #...plus it's on every posted sign and I have all of theirs and I will arrest...no matter who...if I don't get a call...and there better be blood off my land...I expect no less from them in this reguard........

So you say you are hunting your stands near the property lines and can see other hunters on their stands on the adjoining property?  This sounds a bit odd and I surely wouldn't enjoy this kind of hunting.  So lets say the deer happens to be walking right on the property line.  Who will shoot?  Both of you?  And you will be sending bullets towards each other also?  Not a very safe or good situation which ever way you look at it in my opinion.

i try not to get too wound up over the whole property line thing, i think it's a big part of whats ruining hunting in this state. short of someone actually putting a stand on my land i really don't care if they are near or even on my lines, as long as they arent too close to a stand i might have along one of their lines ;D .

when i first moved to this property i found a tree stand put up towards the back of my land, i just left the guy a little note that i was also hunting this property as the new owner, it wasnt a problem he finished out his season and i did get to meet the guy and he explained how he was hunting this land since he was a kid. i told him he was more than welcome to continue hunting that area towards the back, and he was very appreciative but he didnt return the following season anyway.

hunters/landowners gotta learn to relax.

Steve ...try reading that again...I do believe I said ..I use to have my stands 60 or so yards off the line and those guys would come in and stand ..ground hunters...right in front of me on the property line...mind you let me mention it is a 1300 ft line and they choose to line up in front of me...Sooo...I now have my stands right on the line and facing my property...they are safe...I keep them from shooting up at me and I can utilize what I payed for....

My neighbors had their treestands on the property lines before I owned my property.  I put treestands on my property one on the property line close to the neighbors stand,but I know that my neighbor doesnt bowhunt so I use that stand only during bow season.  They were there before I was.  My neigbors also know that they can shoot and track deer over the property line and same goes for me.  Mutual respect with the neighbors has been a great thing.  Noone gets mad at each other and the opportunity can be the same for everyone.