Which Slug Gun should i get..

Well my old man started hunting again and wants his benelli back. He lives in Maryland so using that gun anymore is out of the question. All that leaves me with his a bunch of waterfowl guns that i have no intention of using for deer season.

What would you guys suggest i buy..something with a rifled barrel, I have scopes.

I hunt in a shotgun only county (Putnam). I have a Browning BPS Pump 12ga Shotgun with a Leupold scope. I feel very very comfortable out to 100 yards with it.

Mine is older, but I believe this is the current version of it.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=011B&cid=012&tid=214

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

'I have my first Mossberg too 32 years old and never had trouble with it, although I don't really use it anymore. If you don't like the Mossberg get a rifled Remington 870. They are real good, real accurate guns for not a ton of money.

If you hunt from a stand, try a Marlin 12ga bolt action. With Lightfield slugs and a good scope you can reach out 120+ yard and get tight groups. Albeit, most of the shots will be much closer. I've shot at least a dozen deer with mine and none have ever gone more that 30 yards. Most just drop. if you plan on still hunting try a used Ithaca deerslayer with open sights.

Good luck

How much are you looking to spend? That is the main question. I have a Savage 212 bolt action and love it. Won't use it anymore since we are now a rifle county (Cayuga). But I would highly recommend it to anyone. Or, if you prefer a pump or semi-auto, make the drive up to Weedsport and check out Dave Klotz at DaMar gunsmith. He specializes in accurizing pump and semi-auto shotguns and has a few for sale at decent prices.

How much are you looking to spend? That is the main question. I have a Savage 212 bolt action and love it. Won't use it anymore since we are now a rifle county (Cayuga). But I would highly recommend it to anyone. Or, if you prefer a pump or semi-auto, make the drive up to Weedsport and check out Dave Klotz at DaMar gunsmith. He specializes in accurizing pump and semi-auto shotguns and has a few for sale at decent prices.

I think he is the same guy that was the gun smith at Despirdos in Solvay and later Bass Pro in Auburn. He has done work for me, when he was in Solvay and I would highly recommend him. I still hunt with a rifle he set up for me about 15 years ago.

I think he is the same guy that was the gun smith at Despirdos in Solvay and later Bass Pro in Auburn. He has done work for me, when he was in Solvay and I would highly recommend him. I still hunt with a rifle he set up for me about 15 years ago.

Yes he is the guy! I take everything I can't do myself to him. He does awesome work. He also is very fair priced on guns. Doesn't sell any junk.

Well my old man started hunting again and wants his benelli back. He lives in Maryland so using that gun anymore is out of the question. All that leaves me with his a bunch of waterfowl guns that i have no intention of using for deer season.

What would you guys suggest i buy..something with a rifled barrel, I have scopes.

This would work just fine and be the envy of your friends and neighbors...............

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7054928/WTS_TarHunt_Custom_870_Slug_Gu#Post7054928

I bought one when I was 14, its still being used, 22 years later, and it was used when I bought it.

WNY... me also. I have a Mossberg 500 New Haven model. Had it 25 years and, although a smooth bore, has NEVER failed me. Killed a lot of deer with that gun and everytime I get to use it it makes me smile. Mostly rifle now but it holds a special place in my heart for sure. First gun too.