Lifetime Hunting License?

burmjohn

Did anyone get a chance to take advantage of the Lifetime Hunting License before the price increase?  I jumped on it last year, it made sense for me since I have at least 30+ years of hunting in me.  It was a big investment, however this year I don't have to spend any $.  The wife was not happy, but whatever!  8)

If you bought it before last August of last year, then the DMP is included. Which is a great deal because thats $10 a year alone! I jumped on the deal as well a few years back. It was a big investment, but now I do not have to worry about it the rest of my life.  Even today, at the higher rate, its really worth it.

For old geezers like me, it was a fantastic deal. I had just turned 65 and was looking forward to the free Geezer license when they decided to up the age of eligibility. Then my brother-in-law told me about the Senior lifetime license that was still dirt cheap for that year only. I jumped at it and am I ever glad that I did.

The only thing is that it sounds like everyone who jumped at the lifetime licenses and a huge influx of license money was taken in this year (one-shot). Most likely that money is already spent or at least spoken for. So it makes you wonder what they are going to do in subsequent years with all these hunters basically hunting for free. Are they going to figure out "back-door" ways of reneging on these lifetime licenses? ....... We'll see.

Doc

That's a good point...  I also got the lifetime bow.

Even at the price it is now, its still not a bad deal depending upon your age.  I already descided once I have kids (soon) the first thing I am going to do is get them a life time license.  If they are under the age of 4 its $380, which isn't bad right?

I also found on there that the DMP is free as JC said if:

Deer Management Permit Applications will now be free only to Junior  Hunting and Junior Bowhunting licenses holders and to holders of  Lifetime Sportsman Licenses purchased prior to October 1, 2009.

Anyways, now that I have the lifetime, I am assuming they mail the tags out ever year for you?  Any idea when that happens? I also need to setup a reminder to enter the lottery for the DMP too.

I'm still new to the whole system since last year was my first experience with lifetime licenses. I believe that I went down to the Town Clerk when it was announced that they were available and just presented my lifetime hunting certificate, and she performed the computer draw right there (free).

Doc

I jumped on it this year.

I was able to get it at the lower price before they raised it.

I just wished I had bought it when I started hunting 15 years ago.

im 30 now. and mostly always bought the sportsman plus turkey stamps.

had I bought it straight from the get go , ide prob be even .

but as for the future.. i really dont predict prices ever dropping only increasing so i think it was a great buy for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

i was going to buy it last year but the woman at gander mountain said it will go down next year and talked me out of it because she told me that the price went up already and i found out it didnt i was so mad im gonna get the lifetime this year though

I got mine two years ago. They will send you the lic. in the mail. Ive got the sportsman's with a muzzelloader and bow stamp.

The big problem DEC has now is that the money they got has been spent and now they have to figure out how to send the licenses and regs to everyone. When most people buy there licenses they pick up the regs books and other info where they buy the licenses. Now that information must be mailed. The article i read said its going to cost DEC about 250,000 a year to mail out all the information. By DEC law it states that the state must provide hunters, fisherman, and trappers with a copy of the regulations. So anyone who has a lifetime licenses might have to go to an issuing agent and pick up a copy because DEC does not have any money. Not that its a big deal.

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine in June last year. At 67 years young. But the think I do not understand is it lifelong but I will have to buy stamps for archery, BP till I meet the new age of 70...seems lifelong should have ment for any season that is available in the year and not charge any fee's.

I checked.  I purchased LT sportsmans, muzzle loader and archery 9/2002.  $500, $125 and $125=$750

This will be my 9th season with the LT package.  Sure seemed like a pile of cash at the time!  (still is)

I wouldn't be surprised to see and not totally apposed to some kind of required stamp each year for LT license holders.  Certainly would come with a HUGE uproar from the masses if/when it is purposed but in this cash strapped state I think it is a possiblity.

I got the Super LT and the bow lt....muzzle loading season is so cold and I'm usually so tired by then ...I decided It would be best value on a year to year basis...Mr. B got the same except muzzle not bow ...and our son got all the LT last year...he's 24...around a $900.00 investment

I get a kick out of guys saying license sales are down ...way of course....we all went out any gobbled up the life times...and my thoughts too...when you breeze through that money...because we all know how monies in NY get high jacked...what are they going to do...I fore see dumb mistakes and big law suits..but hope not

I wouldn't be surprised to see and not totally apposed to some kind of required stamp each year for LT license holders.  Certainly would come with a HUGE uproar from the masses if/when it is purposed but in this cash strapped state I think it is a possiblity.

If NYS intends to maintain any credibility in the lifetime license program, they had better not start tacking on fees and stamps and any other kinds of flim-flam do-dads trying to rip us off for more. There can be no legitimate excuse for doing that, and that would amount to outright deceit, lying and theft. I'm getting mighty tired of sportsmen being considered a easy soft touch just because NYS can't seem to manage money. This kind of unlimited ripping off of sportsmen and women amounts to an attack against hunters and fishermen which is no less effective than if it were done by the animal rights crowd. And while all this stuff is going on, non-sportsmen are getting increased benefits and use of DEC services and resources FOR FREE. Every year, more and more DEC resources are siphoned off to non-sporting activities and facilities and we are left to pay for it. Yes, we are a soft touch, but somebody better quickly become aware that there is a limit as to how many times they can keep reaching into our pockets and how deep. And everytime they blow their budget, I keep hearing, "Oh that's ok, we can afford to pay more". Well, I hate to say it, but I can't and won't and I believe I'm not alone on that.

If they aren't smart enough to put that Lifetime License money to work in the market and simply blow it all as it comes in the door, there is absolutely no reason why I or any other sportsmen should be pulling more money out of our pocket for their stupidity. If there are people who have so much excess money that they want to donate to the DEC ...... by all means feel free to do so, but don't be indicating that the rest of us be strapped with anymore funding of government waste and mismanagement.

Doc