State Land vs Own Property vs Lease

JimR

Lots of good points and thought provoking issues. Life for now dictates I cont to hunt the state land , and I have found that after opening week of gun season I can have alot of land all to myself. Yes all traces of normalcy have vanished from the deers routine by then but somehow I still manage to see deer each year and even occasionally kill one. The points made on leasing really open my eyes to that option. Thanks for the thoughts.

as much of a hassle it can be, there's nothing like owning your land. leases can disappear as better offers are made or land is sold, state land can disappear or become infested with hunters. There's nothing like waking up, slamming a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee and just walking out your back door.

Much to the displeasure of my wife, we sacrificed quality of home to buy a place with land. In time we can fix up the aesthetics of the home as money becomes available, but there's noway im living in a track so that i can have a nicer kitchen but cant pee off my deck.

After many years having very limited access to private land and otherwise hunting state land, about 7 years ago I chose to buy. Doing so, I recognized I couldnt afford much land, and that I wanted more access. I found a 10 year old semi finished cabin on 10 acres in the middle of thousands of acres of Tug hill land, on a seasonally maintained, but year round accessible road.

I have an overgrown orchard on my property as a draw, and the freedom to hunt immediatly adjoined 900 acres of county land. Luckily it is seldom hunted by others, and I am able to get my venison each year. It is certainly not a "trophy" parcel, but few places in NY are. I have the best of both worlds. Minimal investment with considerable returns.

If you can afford it buy some land now,I would say 50+ acres,it has it's advantages,as land owners deer permits and others.you could just put a camping trailer on it now and use it as a getaway place.When you retire you could build there if you like.And you were just paying taxes on the property.I now live on my property a little less then 50 acres.And it is great get up and hunt when you want no traveling to and from hunting spots which I did most of my life.Today I hunted the middle and the top of my property,I saw 4 does this morning and 7 this afternoon about an hour ago, feeding in one of my clearings which is grass and clover.Then just 15 minutes ago there were 3 feeding right out side of this room about 30 feet away.

I also own a small piece, 14 acres in Sanford, Broome County that is backed by state lands. I live in NJ and like going up for long weekends during archery. Stay in nearby hotel for now but looking into a small trailer. I am also looking for one person that likes to Archery hunt to partner up with.

How do you guy's who own your own property that borders State property, feel about guys on public land hunting close to your property line? I ask, because I hunt public land that borders private, this past weekend, I had a guy tell me I was too close to the property line....I was against the bordering stone wall that divides the property and was facing the public land so I had a full view of where I expected to see deer. I just looked at him and said "ok" and stayed where I was, and of course he had no grounds to tell me to move.........I have zero intention of shooting a deer on private property and the only deer I saw was on his property and obviously I just watched.

I ran into that situation a few times when I hunted state land,one time that I will never forget is when I was walking a fire line ( I am sure the State built that on the edge of there property ) because it bordered 1000 + acres of state land.

There is this fellow sitting in a lawn chair on the fire line,looking at what he claims was His property.The fellow is sitting there Cursing at me,telling me to get the H off of his property an claiming that I spooked a 10 pointer that was coming right to him.That day there was an inch or so of light fluffy snow on the ground.Not the crunchy type.I just waved to him and kept on going to where I was going.

Getting back to your question.It depends on how far from his stone wall (if that is the legal property line) is his House.If it is closer the 500 feet,he could be a little nervous about where a shot would go.I have had people walking threw my property and had to ask them to leave.And have them tell me it was not my property.All of my property has posted signs every 50 feet and red tape around trees hole border of my property.And these were local people that own a 100' x 200' piece of property and think because the live in town the can hunt where ever they want.If you know where you are going to hunt,Just go ahead of time and ask if it would be ok if you shot a deer on the state land and If it went on his or her property would it be ok to retreive it.

My wife and I both grew up in Greece. 17 years ago we found a nice old farmhouse with 125 acres in Springwater NY that we purchased. It was nice to open the back door and let our 2 sons (3 and 4)run free. We totally remodeled it and put it for sale with 25 acres. I kept 100. We then found a foreclosure 1 mile away, it was in real bad shape 1600 sq ft and 28 acres. the house is 1000 ft off the road and totally private.As I walked the land I saw alot of Deer sign. The hunting was good. As I got to know the gentleman on the next property I found he didn't hunt and he gave me free reign of his 80 acres. There are 6 permanent stands and 3 ladder stands. On the other 100 we just use climbers. Both my sons have learned to hunt. My old friends from Greece come out and we have a ball. My wife cooks huge breakfasts and people camp in the yard. I work road construction so I am used to driving. I get laid off Nov 1 every year. This is perfect for us.

I drove 70 miles round trip for 40 years just to live out in the sticks. I actually enjoyed the ride most of the time. Yes there was a few days here and there when weather became an issue. Many times, I was the first one busting the trail through the snow. It's funny how it never seemed to bother me a whole lot. It was just nice to live out away from the cramped quarters of the city or the suburbs. And what a great place to raise kids. And of course, I had land to hunt on simply by climbing the hill behind the house.

some of you that own more than 50+ acres may want to look into the 480-a real property tax law,it can provide some tax relief and still manage your lands for wildlife

and maybe make some money,this is a basic timber management over the course of years,can't hurt to inquire,google 480-a timber management