Western NY guys (gun style) .....

deerpassion

sooo.... what ya'll been seein? Hunted 8G state land saturday and sunday... Never saw a deer.... plenty of fresh tracks, a new rub that wasn't there friday eve. Nocturnal it is for now, sounded like armagedan !!! Guy next to me shot five times in a row?!? how have you all been faring ?

Big Donkey.bmp8N Bowhunted all season 3 Doe and a 7 PT. Saturday for opening Gun.Took a nice Doe. saw 9 Doe and a spike. Alot of shooting. I don't understand how anyone can shoot 5 times at one Deer. Either they are terrible shots or they are shooting at running Deer. Either way yhey make us all look like idiots. Edited by Hoyt 300

Big Donkey.bmp8N Bowhunted all season 3 Doe and a 7 PT. Saturday for opening Gun.Took a nice Doe. saw 9 Doe and a spike. Alot of shooting. I don't understand how anyone can shoot 5 times at one Deer. Either they are terrible shots or they are shooting at running Deer. Either way yhey make us all look like idiots.

congrats, nice doe... good shot too! same here, bow hunted hard shot three doe's, couldn't find one unfortunately, two encounters with my #1 buck within 30 yds, couldn't get a shot, grrrrr, saw deer nearly every sit, and finally last sit of archery i decided to take a four point that kept strollin by for some freezer meet, havn't seen a deer since!!! headin out to state land in wyoming co. for so i can bust out the rifle and hope i get lucky... ran a cam out there all summer and have some bruits on it, but i doubt they stuck around after this weakend, but ya never know...

passed small bucks, daughter missed a nice one ,first shot at a deer. Watched a monster for an hour in a low corn field with a doe, watched him mount her etc. 2nd time I've seen him there, set up on him yesterday afternoon... busted him out of his bed in a hedgerow on walk in 15 feet away ran out other side into corn, crap. Bedded 200 yards from farmers working on drainage tiles all day .

Trouble with my job is TONS of hunters,so lots of phone pics and stories of big bucks, seems like a banner year. One guys camp an 11,9, and 6 8pts !

heard of 2 butchers not taking any more deer for now,stacked high and deep .

Little movement. Haven't seen the big boys since last week of bow. Plenty of slick heads and small bucks. Some chasing still happening. Surprised to not have bucks tailing all the doe i have seen.....surprised. ah well. Still time!

Edited by TreeGuy

The guys and myself did well fist 3 days, a 10pt,9pt,two 7pt, a 5pt and a spike. for the buck, 3 doe. Watched lots of shoving matches and chasing all weekend. one bear was sighted 50 yrds but the hunter(he's only 16) was to scared to shoot(as bears eat people... too much ttv i guess) . neighbors did well too, taking an 8 and 4pt and doe. Was glad to see the rut in full swing area 9w :)

I guess no one hunts 9A....My son and I just got 2 extra DMP's from wallly world for free (free because we already had our 1st DMP) . I have a buck tag, and 4 doe permits for 9A and my son has the same. Now all we need is a shot within range. Damn Niagara County for forcing us to use a shotgun. If we were able to use our Rifles we could have bagged a couple.

I guess no one hunts 9A....My son and I just got 2 extra DMP's from wallly world for free (free because we already had our 1st DMP) . I have a buck tag, and 4 doe permits for 9A and my son has the same. Now all we need is a shot within range. Damn Niagara County for forcing us to use a shotgun. If we were able to use our Rifles we could have bagged a couple.

I take the muzzle loader, one shot but still more accurate than a slug... Slug hunting is basically bow hunting with a gun if ya think about it.... Good luck, I know I'll need it

Get your pistol permit and a TC Encore handgun in your favorite rifle caliber. Or get a good muzzleloader, they are good to 200+ with the right setup and practice.

Ive been seeing a ton of deer, they arent nocturnal from what I have seen, but I have been getting out of the stand, looking and adjusting alot this season so far.

Well here when it snows the patterns shift, they leave the ridge tops and side hill and head toward benches(hidden from the road) and creek/brush bottoms or lagre pine/spruce stands that have limbs within 10' of the ground. most doe seem to bed under lone white pine trees in goldenrod/brush fields as long as limbs come 4' or less from the ground(trees are about 20-25 ft tall.) other favorite bedding is on south slopes under beach/oak brush or dogwood thickets. It takes a day or two after the first snow accumulation before they venture out and make new trails. Take note of any winter trails you find they will be used year after year when it snows. (hunting and scouting are not a 1 season activity) you can learn a lot by following these trails late winter and learning late season bedding/feeding areas that are used year after year. just don't plan your october bowhunt by what you find in winter....