Which broadheads and arrow setup.

Hunting3m

Why because you didn't read the whole thread and wanted to start an arguement?

wasn't starting any argument. Here are your 2 posts. 1 did mention cost as the OP mentioned this was a concern, but you did not indicate in either post that poundage was an issue and why you were recommending fixed blades. So how is the OP supposed to know why you're recommending them.

I would stay with a cheap light weight broad head (75-80grn) and find a suitable arrow that works. It will kill deer just as dead as any other arrow/broadhead when aimed well. Maybe a Thunderhead or Muzzy 3 blade and a cheap arrow.

And stay away from mechanicals, one less thing to go wrong and more costly.

mommy hasnt changed his huggies, or burped him yet. hes fussy.

anyone who smokes cigarettes around his 3 children is a bottom feeder and since seeing your picture I'm not going to even respond to you anymore. If you'd like to continue to be in my fan club though, go right ahead. At least i'm on topic with my replies, you're just derailing threads.

wasn't starting any argument. Here are your 2 posts. 1 did mention cost as the OP mentioned this was a concern, but you did not indicate in either post that poundage was an issue and why you were recommending fixed blades. So how is the OP supposed to know why you're recommending them.

I didn't realize I had to spoon feed advice to you for proof reading. I don't need to explain any thing to any one, they are my opinions as to what to use and that is what the OP asked for.

I didn't realize I had to spoon feed advice to you for proof reading. I don't need to explain any thing to any one, they are my opinions as to what to use and that is what the OP asked for.

why we're even arguing is beyond me. I was simply looking to clarify for the OP. You're not spoon feeding me, but i see responses on forums all the time where someone asks for advice and a recommendation is given and the justification isn't given. We're here to help others learn right? So when someone just comes out and says ".308 is better than 30-06" or "matthews is better than any bow" it's not helpful. I will apologize for my bmw response, that wasn't needed. For what it's worth, I agree that a lower poundage bow should use fixed as well.

45# draw id stick with a solid fixed head.. Your asking for trouble with a big mech

I agree. At 45 lbs you should be using a cut on contact head. You will get a lot better penetration with a Magnus Stinger, Muzzy Phantom, VPA Terminator, etc, then you ever will with a rage or other mechanical head out of a 45 lb bow. And the Magnus has a lifetime warranty so you will really get your moneys worth out of them.

Also a great carbon arrow for the price is the Beman ICS Bowhunter. I bought a dozen shafts last year off ebay for $37.99 with free shipping.

Look everyone.I told the kid that the rage 40ke heads are the only one he can use twice.That is if he is convinced he want's to use a mechanical head. they are good with 35-55# DW's.My son shoots them on the same exact bow at 35#.Kids and women have been dropping deer with them since they were made.I like my rage that i use.So i got him the same style BH but for the little guy.They are 40.00 $ at gander.Any good cut on contact blade is about 35.00 any how.I also like the idea of my son not having the blades on the FB that might cut him or his string.I think the rage are a little safer for him for now.

http://ragebroadheads.com/products/40KE.html#.UMfL5IOuluw

Edited by arrow nocker

Good point d-bone. Those of us that have the experience know this or have learned it. Most of the adds you see now are touting the mechanicals, and they probably are good products. But I don't remember the adds saying anything about lower poundage shooters. Maybe the newer ones work better than the earlier models, but I don't know. I do know that I have never lost a deer shot with a plain old three blade muzzy, and I have never had a failure. I have a hard time spending more money for a product that can't kill them anymore than I already am. But, I am pretty much a hardheaded person that doesn't like to change something that works. Hell, I stuck with aluminum arrows for years just because i was stubborn. If I hadn't gotten some for Christmas, I would probably still be using them.

Sorry, but saying that a Rage is safer than a cut on contact because the blades are closed, is pretty silly. They open up very easily and have a small blade on the tip. You can be cut by them just as easy as a cut on contact.

Personally, Id use a cut on contact head, like the G5 Montec, they work great, you can resharpen them using just a flat sharpening stone, and they are an extremely strong one piece design.

• Like 1

Funny you mention getting cut. I have bowhunted for many years and to this day, I still hate to monkey around with my broadheads. I have to occasionally resharpen or mount new ones and I have never cut myself. If you saw me working with them you would think I was handling nitro glycerin. And that's with a holder.

• 4 weeks later...

Stay with a fixed blade head, for lower poundage the best would be Magnus Stinger, I shoot Thunderheads and have been for over twenty years, they are good solid, inexpensive heads and any broadheads you choose can be bought cheaper on ebay or better yet on Archerytalk.com. I buy on there all the time to try different heads and always wind up getting my Thunderheads cheaper there than anywhere.

Funny how bow hunting mirrors life in that the younger generation makes everthing so complicated. This broadhead that broadhead this arrow that arrow, what draw weight ect ect ect....just like my kids with their "stupid phones" always doing three things at once and can't focus on one thing for more than five seconds it drives me crazy. What happened to plain ol' easton arrows and muzzy broadheads we had two choices 100 or 125 grain?

Funny how bow hunting mirrors life in that the younger generation makes everthing so complicated. This broadhead that broadhead this arrow that arrow, what draw weight ect ect ect....just like my kids with their "stupid phones" always doing three things at once and can't focus on one thing for more than five seconds it drives me crazy. What happened to plain ol' easton arrows and muzzy broadheads we had two choices 100 or 125 grain?

We advanced.

many still use them and nobody is asking them to change. But it is funny how those that don't adapt and learn the new technologies and methods created by my generation are stuck in the past or claim them as dumb. I sure wish we stopped trying to better ourselves and improve things. We'd still have dangerous cars, people would still be dying of polio and I'd need an antenna to watch b&w tv... My 2 year old nephew plays games on my brother in laws iphone just fine...

Edited by Belo

Hey guys I'm just saying that every year someone is trying to reinvent the wheel when they've been rolling along well before your time. I'm not trying to offend at all and I respect your right to hunt whichever and however you choose but nowadays everything has to be over-complicated. Oh and my 68 charger was much safer than my daughters prius!