woolys 2012-13 shed journal

wooly

2-13-13

Thanks guys!

I ran out today for a bit and found #15!

Found two more dead doe today also.

It's one of those antlers that shouldn't have been found. Only reason I spotted it was because I was expecting to see a horn laying there where it was melted out! I knew if I looked hard enough one would magicly appear! Most likely last years antler but I aint complainin'! Untill I get back to freshie land, these oldies will have to do!

101_1775_zps16c81e83.jpg

101_1777_zpse18a5ac9.jpg

101_1779_zps4f0488b2.jpg

I saw a couple herds of all antlerless as well. Almost got run over by a few of them when something spooked them from the field above me. These two stopped for a quick shot. :)

_CSC0035_filtered_zpsfca49443.jpg

Antlers- 15

Sets- 2

Dead bucks- 8

Dead doe/fawns- 7

This is the pic of the horn I found in September after putting up a tree stand. Notice the green on the tips as it was burried upside down in wet ground.

Found this one while walking along a logging road, it was hanging on a branch 3 ft. off the ground.

Went out for an hour after work today no sheds,moved my trail camera to check out another area.

• Like 1

Some real nice antlers gonehntn!

In almost 20yrs of doing this, I've only found one shed hanging in the brush and that was last season. Pretty rare to find them like that around here.

I just noticed you're from Amherst. I used to do a lot of work in the subdivisions out there... you've probably seen me hiking around on my lunch breaks,lol. Some nice bucks in those woodlots!

Not as many lately as the bait and shoot program took out a lot of deer! It would be nice if they would allow some limited bow hunting in the town.

Yep- The Crystal Springs subdivision comes to mind when you mention that. Used to see a lot of slammin' bucks cruizing through there even as the dozers were plowing everything down. I used to cringe at the thought of how many antlers they were burrying with every pass. I found quite a few dead deer along that stretch of woods while I was working there. Always wondered how many of them were casualties of the bait and shoot program. It really is too bad they never let hunters in there to get things under control.

wooly i want to go with you lol .

Any time cynthiafu!

I have a doctors appointment today, then I'll be hiking out the back door of her office this afternoon,lol. Maybe we could schedule our appointments accordingly and haul out some bones for the good doctors to examine. Might be a good idea to get our heads examined while we're there,lol.

Sams got the right idea! ;)

• Like 1

wooly i dont know where you are . your location is everywhere ! lol i am in wallkill new york . if we are close i have off 4 days next week

Darn it, I just mapped it out and it looks like you're 5hrs 36min away... or 305.79 miles.

I'm guessing that's a tad far,lol

You're more than welcome to make the trip if you think a horn or two is worth it.., or if you'd just like to come over and sit under one of my trees and watch the critters.... I spend more time doing that alone than I do finding antlers.

If not, I'll just have to see if Red wants to come over and play again! ;)

• Like 1

You'll get the hang of it Cynthia. You spend enough time at it, and eventually you start to find out what works for ya!

I got started on my own too, then when I got online and started talking with other guys about it, I learned a lot more than I thought I already knew!

I did get out for a short hike at the end of the day today. No antlers, but as long as I'm posting here again I'll leave a few pics.

I did find another really fresh bloated fawn 2 miles off the road. This is getting to be pretty common close to home. I can't wait to get back in the valley.

Green up is a shed hunters worse enemy, but the deer here are really hurting, and it can't get here fast enough. I'll add her to the talley next time.

_DSC0037_01_filtered_zps752ae5c7.jpg

A little further along I found this dead Red.

_DSC0057_01_filtered_zps1dccad50.jpg

Finaly near the end of my hike, I saw some live action!

_CSC0062_filtered_zpsbfd8ca71.jpg

_CSC0061_filtered_zps76c70cf2.jpg

As bloated as that one is it looks like a car kill with the guts damaged on the inside. The herd in your pic looks way to healthy to be hurting to bad.

I knew someone was gonna say that.. that's why I purposely wanted to point out she was nowheres near a road. To your second point erussell, I'll go back and let the air outta that dead fawn..,prop her back up on all fours in the field where the other deer have been gathering, and take a pic of them all together. If you can tell me which ones are healthy, which ones are sick, and which one is dead, I'll be impressed!

My point is, these recent dead deer aren't dying of old age in case you couldn't tell. They're not popping up dead looking diseased and sick. It's not too terribly hard to rule out many other causes of death when you take a look around and investigate a bit. It's easy to say the deer we see on the hoof look to be in good shape untill they sink into the thicket and go belly up for no apparent reason. You tell me what's killing them off at this time of year and I'll gladly consider it as a possability.., but probably one I'll be able to prove unlikely.

wooly your insane!!!! HOW do you find em?!?!

Joe- you gotta get out from in front of your computer! They're outside!

Edited by wooly

Joe- you gotta get out from in front of your computer! They're outside!

You made my day Wooly! I just remembered josephmrtn had asked a while back about the easiest way to find sheds without having to walk too much even though he's probably the youngest member of this forum... So far I'm averaging more than 9 miles per shed...