What to do

cdmckane

My father in law, brother in law, and I were hunting here at my place the third weekend of gun season. About, 4pm, I shot at a doe at 165 yards and she acted hit, so we came into the house to grab some food and give her time to bed down and die.

To make a long story short, we looked until midnight and couldn't find any blood or sign of her, so we gave up and called it a miss.

Today, I was hunting across a stream on my property, about 300 yards from where the doe was standing, and I came across her under some THICK briars. I know, I know, lesson learned. I should have gone out the next day and canvassed some more, but I didn't. Nothing I can do about it now. I feel like crap, so please don't pile on. I do have a serious question. Should I fill out a tag and report the kill so she can be added to the final take numbers or not worry about it?

Thanks.

My honest opinion..... it doesn't even matter, but if it makes ya feel better go for it. There's so many dead deer out there right now it would make your head spin.

I wonder if the DEC even entertained the thought of hikers/hunters/outdoors enthusiasts reporting carcasses they find post season. I doubt it would be very accurate with some bodies getting counted multiple times, but it has to be better than the system they have now by guestimating.

Don't they do something similar already where guys volunteer to log sightings of certain critters throughout the seasons to predict population swings?

Unfortunately Wooley is probably right. By the time they get done fiddling with reporting rates and such, I doubt that that individual report will even make any difference in the final rounded off take numbers. I'm not sure about tagging it. I do like seeing that you are even considering it. It helps restore my faith in our hunter integrity. But I'll be honest, I am not sure what the actual legal requirement really is. You killed the animal, but you did not reduce it to your possession. So that is a legal detail that I have never gotten involved with, and I really don't know the answer.

The right thing to do is fill the tag and report the kill. But besides morals, why else wouldn't you? Unless you're planning on hunting in Westchester or Long Island, the season is over so what are you planning to save the tag for anyway?

• Like 1

To tag or not to tag..... If it were me, I'd tag and live to hunt another day.

Do what you feel is right because you ultimately have to answer to yourself.

The hardest person you will ever lead in your life is YOU. It may be a lesson learned for others to live by.

Good luck with your choice, but know ultimately it is yours to make.

I would say you should fill out the tag. If you shot at the deer, and you hit her. It is your responsibility, for both you and the animal to pursue that deer. Now that you are sure that you indeed harvested that deer, you are to fill out the tag. I know you may have the notion you don't want to, but in all honesty, you have too.

You bring up an interesting question. The law states to fill in the tag on recovery and u did find it. The question ; what is the time limit? If it was a 150" buck, bet the no answers would be different.

Actually, I wouldn't have made a difference if it were a trophy buck. I don't hunt for antlers and they get thrown out with the rest of the carcass, no matter how big they are. I've yet to find a recipe that makes them edible.

FWIW, I did fill out my last DMP and report it.

• Like 1

Actually, I wouldn't have made a difference if it were a trophy buck. I don't hunt for antlers and they get thrown out with the rest of the carcass, no matter how big they are. I've yet to find a recipe that makes them edible.

FWIW, I did fill out my last DMP and report it.

So why ask the question whether you should fill the tag out or not? Do what u think is right.

It's funny how people just assume other people's answers would be different just because their own answer would be different depending on if it's a buck or doe. Very narrow minded I find.

Ah, a personal attack. Another person that have not read the rules of the site.

That comment wasn't for the OP, or anyone on this site for that matter, just know some people in the hunting world that it would make a difference to. Now who's assuming?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

So why ask the question whether you should fill the tag out or not? Do what u think is right.

I asked because I wasn't sure what I should do. After the responses here and talking to other hunting buddies, I decided reporting it was the right thing to do.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1