crossbows unlawful to big game in nys

Hunter7mm-08

For Release: IMMEDIATE Contact: Lisa King

Thursday, December 20, 2012

(518) 402-8000

DEC ALERTS HUNTERS: CROSSBOW LAW EXPIRES DECEMBER 31, 2012

Expiration of State Law will make use of crossbows unlawful for Big Game Hunting

The provisions in the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) that allow the use of

crossbows for big game hunting, as well as eliminate a permit requirement for hunters with

physical disabilities to use special archery equipment during any big game or small game hunting

season, will expire on December 31, 2012, New York State Department of Environmental

Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Joe Martens reminded hunters today.

Legislation allowing the use of crossbows during certain big game hunting seasons in

September 2010 took effect on February 1, 2011. This allowed licensed hunters to use a

crossbow during the 2011 and 2012 big game hunting seasons.

“The popularity of crossbows is growing in New York, though relatively few hunters

have taken deer with crossbows because they may only be used during the regular firearms

season and subsequent muzzleloader season,” Commissioner Martens said.

The immediate effect of the law expiring is that big game hunters will not be able to use a

crossbow during the January 2013 deer hunting season in Suffolk County, or during a special

January 2013 deer hunting season established in the designated “Deer Management Focus Area”

in Tompkins County.

For hunters with physical disabilities who are allowed to use special archery equipment

during any big game or small game season, that activity will still be lawful, but they may need to

apply once again for a “Modified Archer Permit” from DEC’s Special Licenses Unit in Albany.

The expiring legislation had required only a physician’s affirmation of need, instead of a special

permit.

For information about current crossbow hunting rules in New York and what opportunities will

I purchased one this summer. I didn't use it at all this season. I think they are going to be clumsy in a tree stand. It will be interesting to see if they are allowed in the regular archery season in 2013.

No need to be in treestand with the xbow. Its already cocked. You can hunt from the ground or slowly still hunt with it just like a gun.

Crossbow Bills Reintroduced in the Senate and Assembly

Great news!

Assemblyman Sean Ryan and Senator Pat Gallivan have both reintroduced their crossbow legislation from 2012. The new Assembly bill number is A283 but at this time we don't have the Senate number. We will Send Senate number as soon as we get that information.

Edited by Tinlodge

I still don't understand why any able bodied hunter would want to use a X-bow during bow season? I agree that disabled hunters should be allowed to use them but thats it. I hunted with a friend in Ohio this fall that uses a crossbow because he "doesn't have time to practice". He also used the same dinged and dulled broadhead for a few practice shots and then hunted with them. I found that I could shoot his crossbow just fine offhand, with only one hand. Tell me there's not an advantage.

Although at this time, it may seem like a loss to the crossbow advocates, it really is a victory. Had this bill been signed into law, it would have squashed the youth hunt and kept the crossbow's only to be allowed during other seasons. NY Bowhunter's shot themselves in the foot with the crossbow extension bill and the wording in it........NY Bowhunter's, the best membership I ever cancelled.

I still don't understand why any able bodied hunter would want to use a X-bow during bow season? I agree that disabled hunters should be allowed to use them but thats it. I hunted with a friend in Ohio this fall that uses a crossbow because he "doesn't have time to practice". He also used the same dinged and dulled broadhead for a few practice shots and then hunted with them. I found that I could shoot his crossbow just fine offhand, with only one hand. Tell me there's not an advantage.

There are more xbow hunters than vertical bow hunters in Ohio if I remember correctly the last time I saw stats on it. When I dropped my deer off to donate there, the meat locker mgr. took the deer in and asked me how far of a shot. I replied 30 yards, and he said" wow, that is a great crossbow shot, right in the heart." I had to explain to him that I hunt with a compound bow...and he goes, "oh a long bow, don't see many hunting with long bows. That's a phenomenal shot then for a long bow."

I was thinking he was mistaken when he kept saying long bow...but everyone there seems to refer to compounds, recurves, and long bows, as simply long bows. Crazy.

Get ready, I think it is coming.

• Like 1

Looks more like he vetoed it due to an unrelated riding amendment. More executives should do this. Perhaps it would help curtail the practice of attaching unrelated laws to must pass bills as legislative riders. If your bill isn't strong enough to stand on it's own legs, it shouldn't be a law.

Thanks, I misread that part.

• Like 1

No biggie at all. I don't bow hunt, traditional or cross...but I'm completely in favor of crossbow hunting remaining legal. I'm also in favor of allowing more legal methods of take. The more legal methods of taking, the more people we can get into the fold. The more people under the tent, the bigger the tent. The bigger the tent, the harder it is to push around, because there's so many people underneath it, ya know?

Edited by Felonious_Monk

There - fixed it in red.

I'm not sure what you are saying SteveB. I'm guessing you've shot recurve/longbows, compound bows, and crossbows and you are saying that compounds and crossbows have more in common than compounds and recurves? Or am I reading into it too far?

Having shot all 3 I still have to say that a crossbow doesn't belong in bow season for able-bodied hunters. If you can shoot a gun decently you can shoot a crossbow decently, you just need to know your trajectories. You don't have to put in the practice time in that you do with any vertical bow to be consistent and effective.

Being able to hunt a longer season that covers most of the rut is a priveledge, but not an exclusive priveledge- anybody can take the bowhunter's safety class and get a bow license in NY. The proposal of allowing crossbows in early bowseason for able-bodied hunters is just a immediate-gratification grab by gun hunters that want all the benefits that bowhunters currently enjoy without putting in the practice time or dedication. How can an able-bodied hunter make a claim otherwise?

• Like 1