Deer/culling

Dom

Looks like the state is going to do another culling at the vassargrounds again.They say that the deer population is out of control again,This makes me mad because they shoot them over bait and durring the night time hours.Last year they killed about 90 deer no telling how many will be takin this year.I think they should tranqulize them and move to a new location instead of killing them.

Looks like the state is going to do another culling at the vassargrounds again.They say that the deer population is out of control again,This makes me mad because they shoot them over bait and durring the night time hours.Last year they killed about 90 deer no telling how many will be takin this year.I think they should tranqulize them and move to a new location instead of killing them.

Who's going to pony up the cash for dart/transfer? Very expensive and (I've heard) deer don't handle that stress very well.

Sometimes bait/shoot needs to be done. It does suck though.......

You are not alone in your feelings about this. Hudson Valley QDMA has had quite a bit of conversation about this in the past and a couple of members were quite active in attempting to implement other alternatives. What you are suggesting would likely be enormously expensive. It would certainly be preferable to what is being done though.

I think it is in the best interest and more humane if you will,if they are doing it over bait.Less chance of a wound,maybe a better chance of a one shot and down.Not saying I like it,but if that is the way they are going to tackle the situation,I just think it's a better way as far as the deer are concerned.

Not only would people line up, you could probably charge a registration fee and the program would pay for itself and the deer would be gone. Always wondered what they do with the meat in a bait and shoot program.

My Town opens the town land to bow hunt only. I think there is about 350 acres of park and they took 26 deer this year. I enjoy participating in the bow hunt. Allows me to hunt close to home.

• Like 1

they shot 60 some thing last time there is not enough land there to legaly shoot you can not get 500 feet from the homes and the school and they hire an out of state company and they take the meat back i drive by there every day there are no where as many deer as there were before the last kill but vassar has a lot of money for those that dont know the town of poughkeepsie redid the whole section of raymond ave for them at tax payers expense mad it real pretty for them