huntin 4 sheds

josephmrtn

hey do any of you guys have any ideas on how to collect sheds without goin to all the work of walking all over creation lookin? ive seen the deer feeders that have straps that r supposed to knock the antlers off but since we cant bait in ny that wont work... would a hog panel laying on concrete blocks (so its about a foot off the ground) w some straw or plain grass under it be ok? whats the diff between eating the grass before and after its cut? and if thats not legal are there any other ideas... im sorta lazy and dont feel like walking my legs off (also might have something to do with my legs are sore from workin out) there is snow on the ground so i would expect the deer would want the easy stuff but i could be wrong...

Shed hunting is not for the lazy. Its the best time to scout. I can't decide whether i like shed hunting or bowhunting more...

And can be VERY addicting. I know a few guys that are crazy for it, like starting to shed hunt before the gun season is over!! It is a thrill when you see that white bone sticking up.

Yes OP, it is hard work but worth it. Heck, you'll need a break from all the reloading. <grin>

• Like 2

I try to wait until at least mid-february. I've seen too many bucks still packing even into March. I don't want to bump them off a certain property or have to search it twice.

Shed hunting is easy though- at least compared to deer hunting;

-no need to worry about wind direction

-no scent free showers or clothes

-sheds can't see you or hear you

-there is no bag limit

-open season year 'round (at least in this state)

Just stretch your legs and open your eyes...

• Like 1

I try to wait until at least mid-february. I've seen too many bucks still packing even into March. I don't want to bump them off a certain property or have to search it twice.

Shed hunting is easy though- at least compared to deer hunting;

-no need to worry about wind direction

-no scent free showers or clothes

-sheds can't see you or hear you

-there is no bag limit

-open season year 'round (at least in this state)

Just stretch your legs and open your eyes...

Some good points there...

For me, it seems easier to find a deer's antlers than it is to kill him. In another 2-3 weeks they should start dropping pretty good. The whole key to finding sheds is to focus in on the winter food sources. I wait until all the snow goes in March before hitting the woods. I don't want to bump deer out of the area before they drop and I certainly don't want to comb the same area several times. On the other hand, I plan on starting to check a few destination feeding fields (clover/alfalfa) next week where the deer congregate overnight. I will continue to check these fields once or twice a week over the next several weeks. You can check these areas almost daily without impacting deer movement.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

hey do any of you guys have any ideas on how to collect sheds without goin to all the work of walking all over creation lookin? ive seen the deer feeders that have straps that r supposed to knock the antlers off but since we cant bait in ny that wont work... would a hog panel laying on concrete blocks (so its about a foot off the ground) w some straw or plain grass under it be ok? whats the diff between eating the grass before and after its cut? and if thats not legal are there any other ideas... im sorta lazy and dont feel like walking my legs off (also might have something to do with my legs are sore from workin out) there is snow on the ground so i would expect the deer would want the easy stuff but i could be wrong...

Oh man, I don't think shed hunting would be much fun if we just walked out back and scooped them up from an antler trap. After sitting in a stand or blind for the last 2 months, it feels good to finally get out and explore some of those areas you wouldn't think of going into with your gun or bow.

Check out some of the "bunny cover" in your area and there's a good chance it holds some antlers too. That's about the best "natural antler trap" you'll find! Once those bucks put their heads down, or tip them back to browse, all that nasty, gnarly thicket starts pulling and tugging on them horns untill they eventually pop off.

It's not fun stuff to hike through, and it's not easy to spot antlers in there, but it can be pretty rewarding if you put the effort into it. I've found a lot of antlers in stuff so thick I couldn't back up far enough to get an ATL pic of them. That's the best I can help ya while trying to stay on topic.

Good luck if ya give it a shot!