muzzleloader barrel diameters....

Ironwood6

I purchased a Rossi .50 cal. last year and hastily purchased some powerbelts, reccommended by a friend who said powerbelts are awesome. So, last year upon zeroing my new scope/muzzleloader setup, I noticed how easy powerbelts slid down the muzzle--almost too easy I thought. Even after one and two shots, the powerbelts loaded easily. I zeroed in at fifty yards because I waited until the last minute ( my fault) the results were less than favorable. I swabbed after every shot, the results were frusterating. Fast forward to this year...wanted to increase and confirm zero out to 100 yards. Upon getting a decent grouping I swabbed the barrel, reloaded, and walked to the bench with the muzzle facing the ground, I noticed that something fell out of the muzzle. It was the bullet!!!!! without the green gasket. I thought to myself that was odd, maybe this is why I have taken so many damn shot with this gun and can't get a good zero.

What are your thought on this....

I have read that powerbelts shoot better from a dirty bore....what is up with this idea?

Anyone out there shoot a rossi m/l, and if so what do you kill deer with.....?

I noticed the Rossi manual states Barnes copper sabots are reccommended...just noticed this?

Any help is appreciated.

Not sure how the powerbelts shoot ,i shoot the shockwaves . Seems like you would want to find a good load that shoots from a clean barrel if you are gonna hunt with it , i push a brush and patch between every shot just to simulate the first shot on a hunt.I thought i read somewhere that it should take about 20-25 lbs of force to push the projectile down the barrel.

i would try and use different sabots. it should be a tighter fit to acheive consistant spin for tight groups. i shoot a T/C that has a tighter bore. right now i shoot hornady 250gr sst low drag sabots and they load easy but not too easily. tc shock wave yellow sabots are a little bigger and then the black ones are even bigger than that. harvestor sabots can be a little thicker too. you should be able to load a sabot relatively easily but still with a firm push on the rod. you should swab the barrel between each shot unless shooting Blackhorn 209. this gives you a consistent bore from shot to shot and thus tighter groups. that's my opinion.

I have a T/C Triumph and am having trouble loading as well due to a tight bore. I've gone with a 240 gr. Barnes slug and a Harvester sabot. They are firm to load and I have to clean between shots. I've shot the Powerbelts and have had very good accuracy. They were nice to load and wouldn't fall out. I didn't use them because I'd heard of performance problems. Good thing - Late during muzzle loader season, my son shot a deer with a Powerbelt. The slug entered near the right front shoulder, traveled the length of the deer, broke the left leg near the hip and stopped before exiting. Other than the front tip breaking off and the rear skirt being gone, the bullet showed no deformation whatsoever. Personally I'd look for another bullet to use. Good luck.

Its not the bullet. its the diameter of the sabot you need to change if your shooting sabots. they may be .495 .498 .499 or .501 or .502,.503,.504 then you need to see what size bullet they take .44 or .45 and again bullet are not exact .452 is a 45 cal bullet as is a .454. same for 44 cal bullets. muzzleloading is not dropping down a couple of bullets a sabot and shooting , to get true accuracy you need to find the right powder,cap or primer, load, sabot or bullet that works in your gun! Kind of like setting a bow up properly , you can shoot arrows from the box but to acheive the best accuracy you need to find broadhead/fletching and legnth of fletching , spine stiffness, legnth of shaft , weight of all components, ect.

I had issues with my TC Impact with hornady .44 XTP's and green Harvester Crush Rib Sabots. Almost impossible to load. I switched to the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold Bullets and Black Harvester Crush Ribs and they load very well and have excellent accuracy. Give em a try I think you will like them.

Never had a problem with the Powerbelts. However, the Aerotip certainly shoots much better than the hollowpoint. There's no question the Powerbelts are NOT full bore diameter. They're designed that way. The "cup" at the base expands upon ignition. I have had issues with pass throughs, though.