ammo flying off the shelf

ants

I stopped in the local Gander Mnt. this past Saturday to exchange a X -Mas gift. I noticed that the ammo was getting down there. I stopped back this morning and the shelves of .22,. .22 MAG, 17, .223, and 7.62x39 are just about empty.

Me too. Im not even going to try to go to the gun show, at the fair grounds, this year. It will be a mob scene. Even if you get in the prices will be jacked. It was bad enough 4 years ago when Obama was first elected. I brought my son and the line to get in was unreal.... We left after waiting a good 1/2 hour and the line barley moving.

I was at the Dicks Store in Webster today . Talked to my friend at the hunting lodge . He said that they were having a difficult time getting 223 ammo in and as soon as it arrives , it gets bought up . He told me that they had to limit how many boxes a person could buy so that a couple purchases wouldn't be a sell out and deprive others from buying any .

He said one guy that wanted to buy a lot asked to see the manager and the manager told the guy you can buy the limit of 6 boxes or leave and buy it elsewhere . Some people are greedy and hoarding ammo .

• Like 1

I was at the Dicks Store in Webster today . Talked to my friend at the hunting lodge . He said that they were having a difficult time getting 223 ammo in and as soon as it arrives , it gets bought up . He told me that they had to limit how many boxes a person could buy so that a couple purchases wouldn't be a sell out and deprive others from buying any .

He said one guy that wanted to buy a lot asked to see the manager and the manager told the guy you can buy the limit of 6 boxes or leave and buy it elsewhere . Some people are greedy and hoarding ammo .

Ed if I had the $ to get more at this time,I would buy as much as my room could hold,and I mean that.The price IS going to go up and has been.All I need at this time though is 300 Win Mag ammo. The rest is OK for now.

When I was reloading, that was ok but I saw no real savings if you could find ammo at a good price.Otherwise maybe a little.The prices on components are not like they used to be.

Do not use the "re-stocking" rate at Gander mountain as any kind of measure of what's available. They are notorious for poor stocking of ammunition and reloading components. I have stopped going there because of that.

So, if you are seeing empty shelves, that is no surprise. They have never worried about running out of stock before. It's just the way they are doing business.

Also as an FYI, I was told by the guy behind the gun counter at the Henrietta store that when their re-loading stuff (Components and equipment) is gone, they are not going to re-order any of it.

Ed if I had the $ to get more at this time,I would buy as much as my room could hold,and I mean that.The price IS going to go up and has been.All I need at this time though is 300 Win Mag ammo. The rest is OK for now.

When I was reloading, that was ok but I saw no real savings if you could find ammo at a good price.Otherwise maybe a little.The prices on components are not like they used to be.

What the store was trying to do was not sell it all to one person when others want the ammo also .

Was in the Cicero Gander today. The had about twenty 100 round boxes FMJ 223 for $50. and maybe another twenty 20 round boxes of 223 varmint loads for $10 a box. It was all American Eagle stuff and guys were grabbing it up. Almost no 7.62x39.

Forgive my ignorance but is .223 and 5.56 the same thing?

.223 and 5.56 are the same thing. 5.56 is just metric. The military loads their ammo hotter but it would not cause you gun to blow up. People reload often load up hotter rounds than factory .223 equal or greater than the military. A bolt action .223 will typically have higher tolerances than any style Mil spec AR

I found a few boxes on line for my mini 30 {7.62X39} but man it sure was hard as no one has them in stock . Nothing local at all around here. Guys are really ripping fellow shooters off on line for guns, the prices are double what they should be. Its a shame all around.

.223 and 5.56 are the same thing. 5.56 is just metric. The military loads their ammo hotter but it would not cause you gun to blow up. People reload often load up hotter rounds than factory .223 equal or greater than the military. A bolt action .223 will typically have higher tolerances than any style Mil spec AR

this is bad and wrong information

you can shoot .223 out of a 5.56...you can NOT shoot 5.56 out of a .223

• Like 1

Verm, find me one example where this actually occured? They were worried how the extra casing pushed up againsn't the rifling could cause a catasptopic failure because of the increased pressure even though the tolerances of rifles are well with in the capability of handling it. The problem you sometimes see is a blown primer that scolds the bolt face and leaves pitting