Bought a bunch of trees

I ordered a bunch of trees to grow in pots for awhile until i buy a new property where i plan on planting them on.

6 Persimmon Trees

6 Native Crab apple

3 Sawtooth Oaks

2 Cortland apple trees

2 golden delicious apple trees

2 Red Rome apple trees

2 Transcendent Crab Apples

2 Dolgo Crab apples

2 Chinese Chestnut Trees

2 English Walnut trees

all trees are 2-3 feet, the shipment from AArons Farm already shipped and i will pot them and keep them in my semi heated garage slightly dampened soil. My shipment from Realtree doesnt ship until around april. Very excited to get these trees planted and growing.

i am not planting them this year, i will be pot growing them for the first year to get them up to par, once planted i will be putting a cage around them to protect from the wildlife and get them up to size.

id say it would be a few years until they start producing anything...

That a good idea about growing them in pots. I did that a few years back and the trees took real nice. You really can give a good start this way. I actually used plastic window boxes sold at HD. Placed a bunch of seedlings in each one.

i have seedlings in the fridge right now. Id say in about another week or so some will start making some shoots. I have them in a sealed container on top of a moist paper towel.

Well my trees from aarons came in today and needless to say I am extremely happy to see the quality of these trees and for the price you just can't beat it. ($7.50 per apple tree) free shipping... I have all 14 trees in pots right now and ready to go. The trees from real tree ship in march or April. The caliper size of the apple trees are very thick, almost 1" around.

post-252-13576091269483_thumb.jpg

post-252-13576091634485_thumb.jpg

I am thinking about putting an order together as well. I was thinking about ordering the transcendent crabapples. This is the tree that they reccomend for NYS. If I were to order theses trees in 3 to 4 foot lengths how many years would it take for them to start producing?

What variety of apple?

this shipment was

2 Cortland apple trees

2 golden delicious apple trees

2 Red Rome apple trees

2 Transcendent Crab Apples

2 Dolgo Crab apples

2 Chinese Chestnut Trees

2 English Walnut trees

I am thinking about putting an order together as well. I was thinking about ordering the transcendent crabapples. This is the tree that they reccomend for NYS. If I were to order theses trees in 3 to 4 foot lengths how many years would it take for them to start producing?

not sure, maybe a few years... pot grow them and mircale gro until you plant them in their permanent home to boost them along.

i was going to order more transendent crabs but i have 2 of them and i have 2 dolgo crabs which are self pollinating and i have 6 other crab trees coming from Real Tree. i want to do a whole mini farm to do fruit picking and stuff with the Family for years to come while also feeding wildlife.

• 2 weeks later...

some of my apple trees have budding going on right now, very funny. my fig tree used to do that this time of year when it was in the garage.

going to be putting in another order at AARONS this weekend. i want a few peach trees and some taller crab apples (5-6')

have you used persimmon trees before, as i thought they wouldn't grow in NY climates. I know the deer love them but that was in S. Indianna.

i dont know of anyone who has had any luck planting persimmon in NY but i do know it says its rated for Hardiness Zone 6-9 so i figured id give it a shot. i dont see why it wouldn't take. our coldest zone upstate NY is a 5 with most around the 6 range. Here in the island we are Zone 7.

i only paid 5.45 a tree so it didnt hurt my pocket any but i do hope they take and make fruit one day.

looking for a late ripening pear tree for lining food plots, any suggestion as to which variety to choose? I've heard of pears that hold fruit into November.

i was looking at these ones the other day.

http://www.aaronsfarm.com/Kieffer-Pear-Tree-p/kieffer-pear-tree.htm

http://www.aaronsfarm.com/Moonglow-Pear-p/moonglow-pear-tree.htm

i was thinking about getting a few