Plot prices?

I'm most likely starting a new business of making and planting food plots for people including stand building. Trying to get a figure on what hunters would think a fair price to pay would be? I am talking clearing out the land to planting. I already have a good idea what the going rates are for simple field planting from Cornell Co-op.

So u only want suggestions on clearing wooded areas? Starting a food plot business is very tricky. Transportation of equipment, liability insurance, issues of crop failure etc. New ground verse already worked? What kind of plot? Annual or perennial? U doing maintenance? Fertilizer? Soil samples? Plotting can be expensive but there are ways to cut costs. I think each property is unique and price will change.

• Like 1

I guess I'm trying to get ideas on how to charge. I'm most likely going to look to clear woods or reclaim existing fields for plots. I'm thinking it would have to be an estimate and try not to screw myself or the customer too much.

Planting would be a service that I would provide but obviously not be able to guarantee. However, I've never had a plot fail. (This year I planted 10 of them). The seed would ultimately be up to the land owner but I would make suggestions. I fully understand how to work and build soil. I would rely on a combined 100+ years of farming experience to have the best opportunity for success. Can't control Mother Nature so you can't guarantee the crop, look at last summer for instance.

I'm not talking about putting in a tree stand. Nothing that would be put in the air. That would be up to the land owner. I would described it as an enclosed stand built on skids for placement by the property owner.

Guess I'm wondering if you guys thought this would be a service that people would be interested in and willing to pay for?

If it was as simple as saying something like 1000 bucks per acre and your golden Im sure people would. You have to take into account the cost of your equipment, machine consumable cost, liability insurance, taxes, etc etc etc. Set a depreciation and payout time on said equipment. Set yourself up with an ideal of what you want to make per hour on top of the expenses. Then you have a point where you can start quoting people on. Im sure Im forgetting even more but its late and Im tired lol. So once you have that baseline of what you need to make to cover cost and what you want to make for profit per hour, you would have to evaluate each parcel for a foodplot differently based on the work required to clear it, the amount of lime it will need, the amount of fertilizer required, the amount of seed required and you got yourself some numbers to give out. Just from a DIY standpoint I would estimate that my plots for example minus all the equipment I already have and my own free labor would be like this. for 1 acre, fuel expense to work the ground $50, herbacide $50, Lime $300, fertlizer $ 200, seed $100 =$700 rough guess on my last plot.

Say you want to make $20 and hour x that by 2 to estimate equipment and insurance etc. A 1 acre brushy plot with no large growth, maybe slightly overgrown field we will say. 50 hours labor from herbacide to seed. $2700 bucks per simple plot acre would be my guesstimate to get you a fair wage for your work. You get $1000 bucks before taxes, after tax you end up with $610 for a weeks worth of hard work. The largest problem with coming up with estimates is not leaving too much money on the table and not trying to take too much off it.

And that is if you are solo, your own accountant, your own account receivables and payables. etc Even then I think this number is low for profit margins to be sustainable.

Edited by wdswtr

Joe, it would depend on the access to the area and the type of ground but most likely plows and disks. I have a large assorment of farm equipment to use. I would also look at buying a set ATV harrows and a 6' rototiller if I jump into it.

Wdswtr, The estimate that you came up with is roughly what I was thinking except for the time factor. The machines used to clear the land would be a 16,500 pound excavator (I have the ability to move it) and an assortment of tractors with loaders. I'm hoping that an acre would be a lot less than a 50 hour work week.

Still exploring the idea and seeing what type of market there is. This is why I asked the question. Different minds give different idea's to take into consideration. Thanks for the input guys.

I would think the out-of-town market might be a good one. My camp is 6 hours away and it takes some time to to do either one of the services you are going to offer. For me food plots are a hassle to get started. That would be something I could see could take off for you. Every idea is worth pursuing if you have the passion for it!

Good luck

What about the fact that everyone will want it done at the same time?

I dont see that as a problem if played out right. You cant go in and put a foodplot in all at once. There are stages to it, so while waiting for a soil test to come back, he could be clearing his next plot, then the period after liming before fertilizing and planting for lime to make its optimal effect he can return to the second plot and start lime etc and work others into that rotation. If he also worked out different first planting for say a spring planting vs a fall planting he could very well be in different stages with many foodplots in the rotation. Good planning would be key. There are a ton of guys who own camps some distance from home that do not have equipment or the means to transport equipment. The tough thing would be getting numbers to work where people can afford it and money made is worth the effort and profitable. The tougher thing is to get people to let go of finances in this harsh economy and now with threats of gun control bringing us hunters to an all time emotional low.

As Wd said, I would have to work in stages. There would be 3 of us and could potentially be in 3 different places. I did 10 plots in about 10 days of work; granted 7 of them were already established. I think we could clear out 2-3 a week under optimal conditions.

This is all research right now. Back in the mid 80's I was a little kid and remembered seeing deer in fields. I asked my grandfather and father why their hunting club didn't make their own fields specifically for the deer and I was told it was a crazy idea that would never work. Now close to 30 years later food plots are all the rage and multi-million dollar a year industry. I'm just looking at all the people who wish they had plots and don't have the necessary equipment to put one in. I know there has to be a market, just don't know how to tap into it. I'm not looking to become rich, just looking to start a small business.

Frankly, I think you have come upon a great idea. A lot of landowners would like to put in some plots, but simply don't have the equipment, time or knowledge to do it right. So the market is there .... I believe. But you have certainly come up with the questions as to how to make the business profitable. Unfortunately, the only ones that could give you reliable info on that would be somebody that is already doing it. I cannot begin to imagine the variety of challenges that you might face. My thought is that your price might be such that it would shock most prospective customers.

However, I want to wish you the best of luck in your venture. I'm sure that given enough thought, you can make a success out of it.

What part of the state do you have people? One of the most successful habitat/food plot service company is deer essentials out of Maryland. The owner's name is Mali. For additional income he sells seed, equipment and trail cams. Give him a call and look at his model. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm. I started this process 6 years ago but the numbers didn't make sense.

• 1 month later...

I too have been contiplating going into this business as a side job. I have been successfully planting plots for 5 years now.I started off as many of us do and did the hand tilling and other methods because i didn't have larger equipment. Last year i purchased a new Bobcat tractor with tiller and brush hog. I have all equipment needed to grow plots from A to Z(disc horrows, cultivater, UTV, UTV sprayer, UTV Spreaders for fert. and lime, etc). I have put a lot of time in and money into this hoby of mine. So, i thought that maybe i could sell my knowledge, services, abilities, and possesion of equipment to other hunters requiring plots.

The overall question that i have, that i haven't seen answered yet;

Lets say that the land is accessable and you(land owner) purchase the seed, how much money would you pay (if you don't have the ability/knowledge to plant your own plot) someone like me to do it all for you. Lets keep it simple for math sake and say it's 1 acre.

I have a magic number in my head that would make it worth my while, i'm just wondering if it's in the same ballpark as potential customers idea.

Good Hunting!!

plowing , discing, draging field, ready to plant(no lime or fert, or rock remover.) is about 150-200 an acre for cleared fallow ground (about 3 hrs work with small tractor). dozer work around here is about 100 an hr. every acre is different,...

Is that price plus fuel? If so, guess I'm in the wrong business.

I too have been contiplating going into this business as a side job. I have been successfully planting plots for 5 years now.I started off as many of us do and did the hand tilling and other methods because i didn't have larger equipment. Last year i purchased a new Bobcat tractor with tiller and brush hog. I have all equipment needed to grow plots from A to Z(disc horrows, cultivater, UTV, UTV sprayer, UTV Spreaders for fert. and lime, etc). I have put a lot of time in and money into this hoby of mine. So, i thought that maybe i could sell my knowledge, services, abilities, and possesion of equipment to other hunters requiring plots.

The overall question that i have, that i haven't seen answered yet;

Lets say that the land is accessable and you(land owner) purchase the seed, how much money would you pay (if you don't have the ability/knowledge to plant your own plot) someone like me to do it all for you. Lets keep it simple for math sake and say it's 1 acre.

I have a magic number in my head that would make it worth my while, i'm just wondering if it's in the same ballpark as potential customers idea.

Good Hunting!!

A hydrostatic tractor is going to be a difficult task to work ground with, but not impossible.

Did u know Bobcat discontinued their tractor line from Daedong?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter