Blue deer urine?

nybuckboy

My son and I took a walk today to see the deer trails. We came across several places on the trails where the snow was blue. Yes actually blue like windshield wiper fluid, maybe not quite that blue but without a doubt, blue. Perhaps deer urine that has a chemical reaction to the snow from something they have eaten. Has any one else ever seen this. Your thoughts.

My son and I took a walk today to see the deer trails. We came across several places on the trails where the snow was blue. Yes actually blue like windshield wiper fluid, maybe not quite that blue but without a doubt, blue. Perhaps deer urine that has a chemical reaction to the snow from something they have eaten. Has any one else ever seen this. Your thoughts.

Don't worry- I've been seeing it too, you aren't seeing things. Unless there are Smurfs running with the deer I actually think it could be from eating certain berries- either buckthorn or red cedar? And yes- it looks like someone poured windshield washer fluid or blue Powerade in the snow...

I've seen it several times in the past and actually posted the same question years ago. I never did get any good explanations. Once, it was a wounded deer that someone shot that crossed over onto my land. I tried tracking it but it was leaving no blood, acted gut shot, and I wondered if the blue urine had something to do with an injured organ. I never caught up with the deer.

Our hunting property in Alfred is just loaded with buckthorn as is the properties around us...It's an invasive nasty tree the size of a thorn or crap apple and it loaded yearly with blue/blk berries that for the life of my I don't know how animals eat them They also have sturdy 3-4 inch sturdy thorns all over them...they are nasty astringent...but due to location and logging about the only mast crop other than apples....When not eaten the berries will hang in the trees until spring....

Turkey and deer droppings and yes urine turn blue from eating them