TAG: Move to Texas & bring your guns

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has a message for New York gun owners: Come to Texas, and bring your guns with you.

"Texas is better than New York, and New York just gave us another excuse to say that," Abbott, a Republican, said on Thursday, after ads extolling Texas appeared on several media websites.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed sweeping gun-control legislation earlier this week expanding the state's ban on assault weapons and putting limits on ammunition capacity in the wake of last month's school shootings in Connecticut.

Abbott, a possible candidate for governor of Texas in next year's election, used campaign money to buy ads on websites of news organizations in New York City and Albany.

One ad says in classic Western script: "WANTED: Law abiding New York gun owners seeking lower taxes and greater opportunities."

Clicking on the ad leads to a Facebook page touting the virtues of Texas, including the fact that the state has no income tax so "you'll be able to keep more of what you earn and use that extra money to buy more ammo."

Abbott told Reuters the ads are a "way to tweak our liberal friends up in the Northeast."

"It is tongue in cheek, but there is a deeper message here," he said. "Texas really does stand as the last bastion of ultimate freedom in this country. Over the last decade, more than 4 million people moved to this state, and one reason is freedom and one reason is economic opportunity."

Abbott has said he will file a federal lawsuit to throw out any nationwide gun restrictions implemented by Congress.

A Cuomo spokesman did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

• Like 2

There is no place that is perfect but between California and NY things are getting pretty bad for the outdoors sports, gun ownership and taxes among a whole bunch of other things. I have actually begun to look at real estate around the country and Texas is a strong contender for my lifestyle, the wife will be retiring in a couple of years and I just might take Mr Abbott up his offer, For me this last deal may be the straw that breaks the Camel's back and it might finally be time to get out of Dodge.

Speaking from experience, My parents lived in NY all their lives and always struggled financially with both of them working two jobs. 4 years ago they picked up and moved to Frisco Texas and would not dream of coming back. Since being there they have been able to work less, make more money, get a nice house in a beautiful neighborhood with great schools and my stepfather for the first time in his life became a gun owner (.45 Sig Sauer, I am so jealous). He walked up to the counter, filled out a form and left with his first pistol after a free 1 hour lesson on the on-site range. What is totally crazy is that you see regular people walking the streets with their carry guns exposed and I actually feel completely safe.

It is a complete different life over there. When I go visit it feels like you are truly free over there and are in a different era. Respect is of the utmost importance amongst fellow citizens and everyone addresses each other by sir or ma'am regardless of age or race. Dont get me wrong I am sure there are downsides and problems amongst the state but I for one have plans to retire down there. I would go now but my wife is not willing to go now because of all her family that is in NY.

I believe the reference was in "An Officer and a Gentleman" said by Lou Gosset Jr who played the Drill Instructor .......

You sure about that? ;)

EDIT: I can't fault you though, the "steers and queers" line is used in An Officer and a Gentleman also, but he is talking about Oklahoma.

Edited by Sogaard

Haha...FMJ reference ftw

One reason I'd never move to Texas (besides the weather) is there is almost no public land. Hunting down there is more like shooting fish in a barrel, a fenced barrel.

It is true there is not alot of public land but there is plenty of free-roam ranches and lots more people that are willing to let you hunt their land compared to here in NY. You can still actually knock on someones door there and ask for permission to hunt and have a high success rate.

FYI my parents are having more of a winter so far where they are than we are having here in NYC. They actually get snow and frigid temperatures. Nothing like we experience of course but they get a good mix. The summer is usually pretty unbareable though typically 100+ degrees.

It is true there is not alot of public land but there is plenty of free-roam ranches and lots more people that are willing to let you hunt their land for a price* compared to here in NY. You can still actually knock on someones door there and ask for permission to hunt and have a high success rate.

fix*

• Like 1

It is true there is not alot of public land but there is plenty of free-roam ranches and lots more people that are willing to let you hunt their land compared to here in NY. You can still actually knock on someones door there and ask for permission to hunt and have a high success rate.

I would suggest you yourself try that. Guaranteed it won't be as easy as you think and it will DEFINITELY be for a price. Texas is the capital of the nation when it comes to cough up the money before you step on my land!!

Haha...FMJ reference ftw

One reason I'd never move to Texas (besides the weather) is there is almost no public land. Hunting down there is more like shooting fish in a barrel, a fenced barrel.

The public land issue is why I wouldn't go to Texas either. I'd be looking at Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana. Alaska is on my list too, but the wife said no way (but not that nicely). My wife's family lives in Oklahoma so she would love to get closer to them as well.

When I was in college in OK we used to go down to Texas occasionally and the best part was they had no open container law. It was perfectly legal to drive around while drinking a beer, provided the driver wasn't impaired. That may have changed by now though.

Possibly but today everyone has a price. In NY the problem is so many city liberals buy up property upstate so there is no chance in hell you can ever hunt them even at a price.

The point is, there will always be hundreds of thousands of acres of public land in New York State. That isn't true in Texas.

With all the money saved from paying Taxes and the uncountable hidden fees we pay here in NY a person should be able to join a nice hunting club. At the rate land is being posted here in NY over the last couple of decades it will probably end being the same as Texas in the end. The number one reason people quit hunting in this state is they can not find a decent place to go.

With all the money saved from paying Taxes and the uncountable hidden fees we pay here in NY a person should be able to join a nice hunting club. At the rate land is being posted here in NY over the last couple of decades it will probably end being the same as Texas in the end. The number one reason people quit hunting in this state is they can not find a decent place to go.

Ok, I guess some people are stil not getting what I'm saying. It has nothing to do with posted private land. I'm talking about the hundreds of thousands of acres of (Fill in the blank) State Forests that we have all over the state. Texas is almost all private land, and don't fool yourself, (almost?) all of it is posted.

As for the number one reason people are quitting hunting, can you site a source for that data, or did you just make it up? Serious question, I'd love to read the study if the DEC or a private entity did one.

The point is, there will always be hundreds of thousands of acres of public land in New York State. That isn't true in Texas.

FYI there is over 1.2 million acres of public hunting land in texas, which includes a much broader range of game animals that can be taken so I would say that is not too shabby and more than enough for my needs.

I'm not going to argue. If anyone wants to judge for themselves, just Google "how much public land does Texas have" and draw your own conclusions.

Not arguing at all. I am just clarifying a misconception about Texas and fact is there is over 1.2 million public acres available for hunting. I had the same misconception until I actually went down there and learned all about it.